Anae and the QB Position | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Anae and the QB Position

Vett graded as our 3rd best OL in both run blocking and pass blocking.
Do they give grades by position? C vs T? G vs T? LG vs RG? They might give a hint as to who plays next season and where.

Vett graded as our 3rd best OL in both run blocking and pass blocking.
Vett also spent the most time next to Tisdale who obviously didn’t make things easy for those blocking next to him this season.

Do they give grades by position? C vs T? G vs T? LG vs RG? They might give a hint as to who plays next season and where.

No they don’t. They show how many snaps were taken at each position but doesn’t break out the grades for each.

Without seeing Lamson in live action, apart from practice, does the staff know enough about what they might have in Lamson? If that answer is yes, then maybe they don't pursue a portal QB. I would hope that Dino learned his lesson with DeVito. You never really know what you have until the "bullets" are real, IMO.

As for Morgan, my no inside knowledge wild guess would be that not seeing him take a snap in those last 3 games, given how ineffective GS was, gives us one indication of the staff's view of his potential.
Agree except GS was pretty darn good against sPITT

Your logic makes sense with Morgan. It doesn't with Lamson. He was a true freshman on the scout team. Did McNabb redshirt in '94 because Kevin Mason was the superior talent?

We don't know what we have with Lamson yet.

True. I think re Lamson its a good thing for him that the OC that didn't play him when Shraeder clearly opened the door wide open for a backup to get some meaningful snaps is gone.

The wheels seriously came off at the QB position and 9/10 you are going to see the backup if the starter performs like Shraeder did. He was clearly hurt. Devito would have 100% been reinserted if he hadn't quit on the team. Its just hard to have any expectations for him if he wasn't given a look at the end.

We have a new OC and new QB coach they are going to play whomever they think is the best guy.

I definitely think as of now, Lamson has a higher ceiling and wouldn’t be at all surprised if Lamson has passed him up by now. I have been told his ability to read the defense is really strong. You make a really good point about Morgan not being ready last year. Perhaps that played into a huge reason why he couldn’t make multiple reads. Once opponents got tape on him after his first relief appearance, it got ugly.

I think Lamson played better completion during grades 9-12 as well, and he was able to get up to speed faster. With Lamson being a DT quarterback, he didn’t have to learn how to move, plant, rotate while working mechanics and accuracy. Could Morgan become a good QB? Sure. I just don’t think he is going to be able to show it here. Someone else also remarked to me that Landon’s leadership ability has flashed too. I just think he has a lot of tools that are going to help him become a very good QB.

I agree. Have to take into account of what the new staff might be able to evaluate and develop. We try to put in our minds of how a Anae/Beck offense will look at SU. Each year different kids develop and surprise you. Some take a step back.
With the way our QB's get hurt every year, would hope they bring in A portal QB to compete for the starting job.

Probably 99% of the QBs in the portal are flawed in some capacity. So my guess would be no matter who we would reel in, they will have some work to do unless the player's last name is Armstrong. Based on what some on our board have shared, Anae and Beck like the RPO and duel skilled QBs. It will be really interesting to see what kind of players they pursue. I think those hoping for pure pocket passers may be disappointed.
99% of the qb’s in college are flawed in some way

99% of the qb’s in college are flawed in some way
Very true. The intent of my framing as such though is because there are seemingly a number of people on the board who seem to think GS can't be taught and that his flaws can't be fixed. Some think we will find a perfect starter to replace GS. I think GS showed some really good attributes/abilities and I also think he needs to work on things like everyone. I think competition is also good but there's no perfect portal replacement. Usually there's some tradeoffs, maybe subtle and maybe not. Maybe Lamson shows us something? I agree with Jake from the article Anae and Beck know about GS and think there's maybe something there.

True. I think re Lamson its a good thing for him that the OC that didn't play him when Shraeder clearly opened the door wide open for a backup to get some meaningful snaps is gone.

The wheels seriously came off at the QB position and 9/10 you are going to see the backup if the starter performs like Shraeder did. He was clearly hurt. Devito would have 100% been reinserted if he hadn't quit on the team. Its just hard to have any expectations for him if he wasn't given a look at the end.

We have a new OC and new QB coach they are going to play whomever they think is the best guy.
The thing is Lamson would never have been in play regardless of how badly Shrader played. He was on the scout team. He was not running our offense during any practices all season. The only way he ever gets into the game this past season is if Shrader and Morgan are both knocked out by injury. And It has nothing to do with whether he has more talent than Shrader. It's simply about preparedness. A true freshman not named Trevor Lawrence is not playing with experienced older guys in front of him.

Your comment makes more sense with regards to Morgan. It doesn't speak well of him that a guy from the outside transfers in and immediately jumps over him and then he gets no run when that guy is either playing poorly or playing hurt.

If Lamson doesn't make any noise this upcoming year by at least being the back up, that'll be much more significant.

I assume Anae and Beck will be pouring through all the scout team and 2s tape over the next few days/weeks if they haven’t already. It will be pretty telling if we hear they’re hitting the HS trail hard and not offering many QBs in the portal.

Yep. I was wrong on that. Full acknowledgment if I’m who you’re referring to.
My apologies Cusian, I didn't want to call out anyone specifically. FWIW, I thought your position was a lot more reasonable than the "Dino is married to DeVito" crowd.

There were a couple of infamous posters this time last year who thought that we would not be able to recruit a portal QB because 1. Dino is married to DeVito or 2. Nobody good would want to come here as a backup. Neither position was based on reality.

If they are actively recruiting a QB from the portal, it will be with the assurance that they will have the opportunity to compete for QB1, just like they told portal recruits last year.
Yep.

Devito was given the chance to start over Dungey, and damn near did in his flash of RF season greatness.

Shrader was given the chance to start over Devito, and took full advantage, forcing Devito to transfer.

There is a pattern that this coaching staff will play the best QB regardless of tenure or reputation

Yep.

Devito was given the chance to start over Dungey, and damn near did in his flash of RF season greatness.

Shrader was given the chance to start over Devito, and took full advantage, forcing Devito to transfer.

There is a pattern that this coaching staff will play the best QB regardless of tenure or reputation
Yes. It's almost as if their livelihood is dependent on playing the best.

My apologies Cusian, I didn't want to call out anyone specifically. FWIW, I thought your position was a lot more reasonable than the "Dino is married to DeVito" crowd.
No worries. I wasn’t in that crowd - I thought transfers were being scared away by Tommy’s arm, not his relationship with Dino. GS wasn’t, clearly.

Reactions: 007
No worries. I wasn’t in that crowd - I thought transfers were being scared away by Tommy’s arm, not his relationship with Dino. GS wasn’t, clearly.

It wasn’t and still doesn’t have anything to do with Tommy/Dino

Much more that a lot of people in college football world see Dino as a deadman walking.

That’s why this Anae/Beck hiring is massive. It shows recruits both HS and transfers that Dinos seat isn’t as hot as we all thought it was.

Barring a total meltdown next season, Dino is back for 2023

There were a couple of infamous posters this time last year who thought that we would not be able to recruit a portal QB because 1. Dino is married to DeVito or 2. Nobody good would want to come here as a backup. Neither position was based on reality.

If they are actively recruiting a QB from the portal, it will be with the assurance that they will have the opportunity to compete for QB1, just like they told portal recruits last year.

LOL, that was funny. Most of those posters have been wrong going back to Shafer.

Shrader will do well. Hes smart tough a leader and he will thrive with good coaching. Kids got all the tools. 64 230 fast hes going to crush it next year. Coaching is SO important
He's definitely capable of being an adequate passer. Fans want quick fixes. Shrader will buy in. Let the coaches do their work and lets see what happens.

Last edited:
It wasn’t and still doesn’t have anything to do with Tommy/Dino

Much more that a lot of people in college football world see Dino as a deadman walking.

That’s why this Anae/Beck hiring is massive. It shows recruits both HS and transfers that Dinos seat isn’t as hot as we all thought it was.

Barring a total meltdown next season, Dino is back for 2023
I was talking about last offseason and GS transferred here. I agree about this off season. Those hires help a ton. And the relative success of last year (Tucker, good D, close losses).

I am really intrigued by this, especially because defenses will have to account for Tucker while potentially having 2 Qbs on the field. This seems like an ideal match of scheme/creativity for SU and Anae/Beck.

Add in all the presnap motion, unbalanced line sets, and Anae's creativity...the offense will be much more difficult to prepare for than what Gilbert/Dino were doing. Let's hope it's more productive.

We still have the O line coach. He did a hell of a job last year by just getting back to basics and learning how to run block again.

100% of the QB’s not in the portal are flawed in some way.
Yep. See my response to a similar framing by Go. I don’t disagree at all. I just think it’s strange that we know GS is flawed in some aspects to his game but there are those who flat out state/think he cannot train, practice and get better BUT a guy who can’t start or started but lost their job in the portal is an automatic upgrade (knowing he has his own flaws as well). Seems like selective reasoning. To be clear though be it portal, high school or grad transfer, I always want competition in the QB room. Bring another guy in and let the best player who gives Syracuse the best chance to win play.

If schemed well, they’ll be more open than everyone is used to. That can make average WRs look good

We have 4 or 5 guys among our WRs who showed some real promise last year. You have to figure that at least a couple of them ought to get better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom