Anae and the QB Position | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Anae and the QB Position

I don't know much about him, but I did watch his highlights from Clemson's spring game, not sure what year. But, at that point, he needed quite a bit of work to be ready to play.
I saw him play this season when Uiagalelei got injured and left the game for a bit. I can’t recall which game but it was an ACC game. He was a good runner but not a good passer by any stretch. Maybe he could be developed into a solid passer but right now he’s not that.

I would hope they bring in an experience QB from the portal if that is the case.
Do people really think that Anae and Beck took the job without knowing whether they could get Shrader effective in their offense? These 2 have been together since 2013 at BYU, they unlike us can see on film things we as fans have no idea.
There is no way these 2 would walk into a situation where they expect to not be able to produce.

Probably 99% of the QBs in the portal are flawed in some capacity. So my guess would be no matter who we would reel in, they will have some work to do unless the player's last name is Armstrong. Based on what some on our board have shared, Anae and Beck like the RPO and duel skilled QBs. It will be really interesting to see what kind of players they pursue. I think those hoping for pure pocket passers may be disappointed.

Probably 99% of the QBs in the portal are flawed in some capacity. So my guess would be no matter who we would reel in, they will have some work to do unless the player's last name is Armstrong. Based on what some on our board have shared, Anae and Beck like the RPO and duel skilled QBs. It will be really interesting to see what kind of players they pursue. I think those hoping for pure pocket passers may be disappointed.
I'm not hoping for a pure pocket passer.

I'm hoping for a 4th QB on the roster for depth, and also someone that can push Shrader because excuse it due to injury or the line breaking down or whatever, but it's very difficult to win in college football if you can't throw, and there were enough times last season when we couldn't throw that it's a real concern.

That can get addressed by player development. It also can be addressed by finding a better QB. No matter what though, we need more to happen there (and fingers crossed that we get some development/talent at WR that's a game changer too).

I'm not hoping for a pure pocket passer.

I'm hoping for a 4th QB on the roster for depth, and also someone that can push Shrader because excuse it due to injury or the line breaking down or whatever, but it's very difficult to win in college football if you can't throw, and there were enough times last season when we couldn't throw that it's a real concern.

That can get addressed by player development. It also can be addressed by finding a better QB. No matter what though, we need more to happen there (and fingers crossed that we get some development/talent at WR that's a game changer too).
Agreed

Agreed
And I'd add, our chances of getting a QB out of the portal that can help are likely higher if we're selling a real possibility to start vs if we're selling a back up role.

I'm sure Shrader came because he was told he'd have a chance to compete with DeVito.

And, well... we can tell a new guy he'll have a chance to compete with Shrader. Nothing unfair about that.

They "have" to add at least 1 QB this cycle (and 1-2 every cycle, IMO, at least as a goal). We now have an OC and a QB coach with a long history of successfully maximizing QB talent AND, maybe just as important, playing multiple QBs (often on the field at the same time).

Regardless of what you think of Shrader - and I am in no way diminishing what Shrader brings to the table (I think it was part of the reason that attracted A&B here in the first place) - I would be very surprised if we do not add a QB from the portal who they think can compete for QB1 in 22.

And I'd add, our chances of getting a QB out of the portal that can help are likely higher if we're selling a real possibility to start vs if we're selling a back up role.

I'm sure Shrader came because he was told he'd have a chance to compete with DeVito.

And, well... we can tell a new guy he'll have a chance to compete with Shrader. Nothing unfair about that.
Again agreed. There is zero downside to competition, it makes everyone better. As an aside to my original comment though while I am excited about the prospect of portal acquisitions I still think any QB we get will have some issues or he likely wouldn't be there to begin with. So pro competition but tempered enthusiasm until we actually see what the new competition's strengths and weaknesses are.

Again agreed. There is zero downside to competition, it makes everyone better. As an aside to my original comment though while I am excited about the prospect of portal acquisitions I still think any QB we get will have some issues or he likely wouldn't be there to begin with. So pro competition but tempered enthusiasm until we actually see what the new competition's strengths and weaknesses are.
Good chance the guy hasn't had the chance to show much at this level, so there's definitely the possibility of some unknown warts.

There were a couple of infamous posters this time last year who thought that we would not be able to recruit a portal QB because 1. Dino is married to DeVito or 2. Nobody good would want to come here as a backup. Neither position was based on reality.

If they are actively recruiting a QB from the portal, it will be with the assurance that they will have the opportunity to compete for QB1, just like they told portal recruits last year.

Last edited:
We heard positive things about Morgan his freshman year. He was thrown into a bad offense, He shouldnt have been on the field. He wasnt ready. I heard Lamson has good intanglibles as well but why are you more sold on Lamson's development? Are you sayng that because you think Lamson has passed him up?

I definitely think as of now, Lamson has a higher ceiling and wouldn’t be at all surprised if Lamson has passed him up by now. I have been told his ability to read the defense is really strong. You make a really good point about Morgan not being ready last year. Perhaps that played into a huge reason why he couldn’t make multiple reads. Once opponents got tape on him after his first relief appearance, it got ugly.

I think Lamson played better completion during grades 9-12 as well, and he was able to get up to speed faster. With Lamson being a DT quarterback, he didn’t have to learn how to move, plant, rotate while working mechanics and accuracy. Could Morgan become a good QB? Sure. I just don’t think he is going to be able to show it here. Someone else also remarked to me that Landon’s leadership ability has flashed too. I just think he has a lot of tools that are going to help him become a very good QB.

Sorry Taisun, the hometown team is out.

Guess this is who we will face next year, seems like quite a fall from grace.

I definitely think as of now, Lamson has a higher ceiling and wouldn’t be at all surprised if Lamson has passed him up by now. I have been told his ability to read the defense is really strong. You make a really good point about Morgan not being ready last year. Perhaps that played into a huge reason why he couldn’t make multiple reads. Once opponents got tape on him after his first relief appearance, it got ugly.

I think Lamson played better completion during grades 9-12 as well, and he was able to get up to speed faster. With Lamson being a DT quarterback, he didn’t have to learn how to move, plant, rotate while working mechanics and accuracy. Could Morgan become a good QB? Sure. I just don’t think he is going to be able to show it here. Someone else also remarked to me that Landon’s leadership ability has flashed too. I just think he has a lot of tools that are going to help him become a very good QB.
No I heard the same things about Lamson. Im just wondering if the staff still thinks Morgan has potential as well. ( no way can I judge him based on his time as a freshman). I asked because Im trying to get a feel for what the staff will do as far as bringing in a transfer or not. Im wondering if the staff likes Lamson enough to think he could compete with Shrader. That will tell us know if they will pursue another QB or not.

There were a couple of infamous posters this time last year who thought that we would not be able to recruit a portal QB because 1. Dino is married to DeVito or 2. Nobody good would want to come here as a backup. Neither position was based on reality.

If they are actively recruiting a QB from the portal, it will be with the assurance that they will have the opportunity to compete for QB1, just like they told portal recruits last year.

Dino literally HAS EVIDENCE that he will give a transfer QB a legit chance to compete & start.

Other coaches can say stuff like "open competition" and "may the best man win", but Dino has PROVEN that he will give transfers a fair shot.

And we have numerous others who have risen to the occasion - Roscoe, anyone??
Who had the dude from McNeese St beating out THREE super-seniors to become our most impactful D-Lineman this past season??

Dino now has a LOT to sell to a portal QB:
  • PROVEN OC & QB coach
  • legit chance to win starting job
  • Heisman-level RB
  • Improved OL with a proven coach.
  • Solid D, to get them the ball in good field position
  • climate controlled environment for home games

Of course ANY school that brings in a QB from the portal is going to tell them they can compete for the starter role. Otherwise there would be no chance to get a QB from the portal. If the school is looking for a backup they would just recruit a QB they can groom.

Yep. I was wrong on that. Full acknowledgment if I’m who you’re referring to.

Reactions: 007
No I heard the same things about Lamson. Im just wondering if the staff still thinks Morgan has potential as well. ( no way can I judge him based on his time as a freshman). I asked because Im trying to get a feel for what the staff will do as far as bringing in a transfer or not. Im wondering if the staff likes Lamson enough to think he could compete with Shrader. That will tell us know if they will pursue another QB or not.
Without seeing Lamson in live action, apart from practice, does the staff know enough about what they might have in Lamson? If that answer is yes, then maybe they don't pursue a portal QB. I would hope that Dino learned his lesson with DeVito. You never really know what you have until the "bullets" are real, IMO.

As for Morgan, my no inside knowledge wild guess would be that not seeing him take a snap in those last 3 games, given how ineffective GS was, gives us one indication of the staff's view of his potential.

Yeah. They were probably miles off. GS couldn't beat out Devito for week 1 and those two couldn't get meaningful run the last 3 games of the year they were always a way off.

I'm pretty sure we are getting a QB.

Lot of good QBs out there. GS as the 2nd QB intrigues me.
Your logic makes sense with Morgan. It doesn't with Lamson. He was a true freshman on the scout team. Did McNabb redshirt in '94 because Kevin Mason was the superior talent?

We don't know what we have with Lamson yet.

Without seeing Lamson in live action, apart from practice, does the staff know enough about what they might have in Lamson? If that answer is yes, then maybe they don't pursue a portal QB. I would hope that Dino learned his lesson with DeVito. You never really know what you have until the "bullets" are real, IMO.

As for Morgan, my no inside knowledge wild guess would be that not seeing him take a snap in those last 3 games, given how ineffective GS was, gives us one indication of the staff's view of his potential.
I think the whole TD/Dino thing was a one off in how the team handled. I think future QB managment will be more 3 headed from a decision standpoint with Anae and Beck having significant influence. So I think Anae and Beck's assessment of all the QBs will be interesting and should cascade into some action this month or post Spring depending upon what they see.

Reactions: 007

I think that is completely fair. But I've heard similar reports from the fall -- coaches are impressed. He's elusive, throws the ball well, and is a play maker. Whatever "it" is, the coaches feel like this kid has "it."

Just needs time / physical maturity.

Yeah first order of business is THIS obviously. And get an OL that can pas protect
So basically we need to rebuild and retool 75% of the offense.

You guys are talking about Lamson and Morgan through the eyes of the old staff. Everything has changed now and who knows how the new guys will feel about them.
I agree. Have to take into account of what the new staff might be able to evaluate and develop. We try to put in our minds of how a Anae/Beck offense will look at SU. Each year different kids develop and surprise you. Some take a step back.

I agree. Have to take into account of what the new staff might be able to evaluate and develop. We try to put in our minds of how a Anae/Beck offense will look at SU. Each year different kids develop and surprise you. Some take a step back.

Preach. If there’s anything I’ve learned in my 10 years of coaching, whatever you expect to happen; rarely ever does

I think a portal QB is inevitable because there's slim pickings of highschool QBs right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom