And I thought NC State fans were supposed to be the annoying ones in the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

And I thought NC State fans were supposed to be the annoying ones in the ACC

So the next time we have a very successful football season, are we not allowed to talk about it at all?
I like UVA and want the school to do well because it should be a flagship program in the ACC because it like North Carolina should be the dominant program in their state. We have had multiple UVA fans/trolls act like their season is by far superior to ours that is beyond annoying and I want to like UVA. If Syracuse football was 9-3 in the ACC Championship with a 7-1 conference record and we were playing 11-1 Miami who was 7-1 in the ACC as well I wouldn't make Syracuse out to be this by far superior team. Jeez, I don't get upset by visitors supporting their team by some of these UVA fans are going overboard. Others have been great and contributed on here for a while.

Last edited:
Forgive us if we are a little bit excited about our team (both this year and going forward). Many have commented that we haven't been relevant since Ralph. Although that is an exaggeration, it isn't too far from the truth. In the 10-12 years after Ralph graduated, we made it to the Final Four once and the Elite Eight on two different occasions, which isn't too shabby. However, over the course of the last 15-20 years, the program has been hurting, largely due to two very poor coaching hires. Tony Bennett has completely overhauled the program from the ground up and has built a system that will allow us to compete year in and year out.

We are excited, not just because this team is doing very well, but because we know we have the right guy as our head coach. Coaching is one of the most important things in college basketball. Good players will come and go (often only staying for one year), but if you have a good coach, you can be a successful program over the long haul (see Jim Boeheim).

I am happy to have a team with the history and success of Syracuse in the ACC and I look forward to the game tomorrow, it should be a war. But regardless of the outcome this year, expect Virginia to be a factor in the ACC race for the foreseeable future.

Best of luck, I hope those of you who are attending the game enjoy Charlottesville.

Cheers!

This superiority crap I'm seeing from SU fans is way over-the-top. I don't care what Virginia has or has not accomplished over the last 30 years. This 2013-14 Virginia team is damn good. I don't get the disrespect.

As long as Tony Bennett is their coach they will be one of the top teams in the ACC year in and year out. So we better get used to this.

Forgive us if we are a little bit excited about our team (both this year and going forward). Many have commented that we haven't been relevant since Ralph. Although that is an exaggeration, it isn't too far from the truth. In the 10-12 years after Ralph graduated, we made it to the Final Four once and the Elite Eight on two different occasions, which isn't too shabby. However, over the course of the last 15-20 years, the program has been hurting, largely due to two very poor coaching hires. Tony Bennett has completely overhauled the program from the ground up and has built a system that will allow us to compete year in and year out.

We are excited, not just because this team is doing very well, but because we know we have the right guy as our head coach. Coaching is one of the most important things in college basketball. Good players will come and go (often only staying for one year), but if you have a good coach, you can be a successful program over the long haul (see Jim Boeheim).

I am happy to have a team with the history and success of Syracuse in the ACC and I look forward to the game tomorrow, it should be a war. But regardless of the outcome this year, expect Virginia to be a factor in the ACC race for the foreseeable future.

Best of luck, I hope those of you who are attending the game enjoy Charlottesville.

Cheers!

I, for one, think UVA and Carolina fans specifically (along with FSU and Clemson fans during football season) have been great additions to this message board. Its clear we now live in a conference which cares ALOT about their athletic programs. Sometimes that results in good-natured (and some not so good) ribbing which I welcome. Breaks up the monotony of the board. If you haven't noticed, a good portion of this board is WAY oversensitive to any type of criticism.

Best of luck to UVA this weekend. You've had a very nice year and tomorrow is a coin flip.

Best of luck to UVA this weekend. You've had a very nice year and tomorrow is a coin flip.

e56a3.gif%20

Congrats UVA you are officially our new Rutgers.

Nah. I don't buy this. This is their best team in 30 years and they are excited.

Their presence here actually says a lot about how our program is perceived.

We have joined Duke and NC as ACC royalty and Kansas, MSU etc. as national programs.

I have watched them and they are talented and well-coached.

I think it will be a very tough game.

I actually think most of the UVa posters have been fairly knowledgeable and respectful. It's the ones like Kim Jung Bee's which are the problem, always going to other teams boards and starting . ;)

I am also of the opinion that for the most part, the Virginia fans who have poked their heads in here have been mostly knowledgeable and fair in their analysis and comments. As I briefly mentioned in another thread, every fanbase has their Bjorns and Mantonios who show over the top enthusiasm, and based on their performance this year, they deserve to harbor those emotions.

I'm super excited for the game tomorrow. Going to get the grill out in the 20 degree CNY weather, cook up some clams and about 8-10 steaks, get the brews flowing, and enjoy the afternoon with my buddies.

I think it's going to be a fantastic game. Here's hoping for a game that lives up to the expectations, and may the best team win. Sorry, Cavs... :)

This superiority crap I'm seeing from SU fans is way over-the-top. I don't care what Virginia has or has not accomplished over the last 30 years. This 2013-14 Virginia team is damn good. I don't get the disrespect.

As long as Tony Bennett is their coach they will be one of the top teams in the ACC year in and year out. So we better get used to this.
He is having a great year, but there isn't much prior evidence to support that argument. In 7 previous head coaching years, Bennett has a record of 64-56. He has had fewer than 7 conference losses just one time - a 13-5 record his first season at Washington St. He has had sub-500 conference records in 3 of 7 prior seasons.

In four prior seasons at Virginia, he has had 2 of those sub-500 seasons, has had at least 7 conference losses each year, and has an overall record of 32-34.

I think he's a good coach, and he's having a great year, but its a huge leap to say a guy who was below 500 then has one great year aided by an unbalanced schedule is suddenly going to field "one of the top teams in the ACC year in and year out."

Last edited:
I don't have that big of a problem with it, they aren't used to it. Its like the person who hasn't had a date in 5 years, and finally gets one with a really hot girl.

He is having a great year, but there isn't much prior evidence to support that argument. In 7 previous head coaching years, Bennett has a record of 64-56. He has had fewer than 7 conference losses just one time - a 13-5 record his first season at Washington St. He has had sub-500 conference records in 3 of 7 prior seasons.

In four prior seasons at Virginia, he has had 2 of those sub-500 seasons, has had at least 7 conference losses each year, and has an overall record of 32-34.

I think he's a good coach, and he's having a great year, but its a huge leap to say a guy who was below 500 then hase one great year aided by an unbalanced schedule is suddenly going to field "one of the top teams in the ACC year in and year out."
I don't agree. His dad was a great coach so it's in his blood and Tony won National Coach of the Year as a 37 year old in his first season ever as a head coach.

You can throw records out the window because we're talking about Washington State and a Virginia program that hadn't been relevant in a decade at least. I seriously had no idea Washington State had a basketball team before he led them to a 3 seed followed by a Sweet 16 appearance. Gotta give credit where it's due. The guy is good.

I don't agree. His dad was a great coach so it's in his blood and Tony won National Coach of the Year as a 37 year old in his first season ever as a head coach.

You can throw records out the window because we're talking about Washington State and a Virginia program that hadn't been relevant in a decade at least. I seriously had no idea Washington State had a basketball team before he led them to a 3 seed followed by a Sweet 16 appearance. Gotta give credit where it's due. The guy is good.

Pat Knight's dad was a pretty good coach, too. That didn't prevent Pat from getting fired at both Texas Tech and Lamar.

Deep Chatham Hokie ‏@TeaBagPaulus919 7m
UVA fan on the @DavidGlennShow said if the Cavs don't start getting some respect n bball, they should pack their bags & move to the SEC. HA!

I like UVA and didn't think their fans would troll us this hard like they have. They have a good team this season, but its not like they have beaten many good teams. They beat UNC and @Pitt, but lost all their tough non-conference games except SMU and we are freaking 26-2 why should we not be confident. I didn't think UVA fans had this big an edge.

Usually they are some of the nices fans on Earth unless it's a game against us. Th ey are probably just practicing.

I, for one, think UVA and Carolina fans specifically (along with FSU and Clemson fans during football season) have been great additions to this message board. Its clear we now live in a conference which cares ALOT about their athletic programs. Sometimes that results in good-natured (and some not so good) ribbing which I welcome. Breaks up the monotony of the board. If you haven't noticed, a good portion of this board is WAY oversensitive to any type of criticism.

Little do you guys know the next phase of the Great Assimilation Raid will be your introduction to Southern Manna...Shrimp and Cheese Grits. :rolling:

Before this year, his best years were with a team his dad built. Until 2 years ago, his career was on a keno Davis like trajectory.

I'm not saying he's bad, but sustained top level competitiveness is certainly something be has not demonstrated so far.

I don't think their little mini-raid here has been too bad. Seems generally like a happy-go-lucky bunch (at least what I am seeing, who knows what mods have had to clean up). But the chirping on their boards is a little kooky, saying Syracuse is not only not capable of beating them but that we have "fluke" national titles and stuff. That rubs everyone the wrong way.

The analogy to our football program is perfect. If we go 6-2 in the ACC, I seriously doubt we'll be over on the FSU board talking crap about them only having 2 more fluke NCs than we do (and that isn't even a great example because hey guess what, Syracuse has had more football All-Americans in its history than FSU has)...

It's only been a week since the first time I ever heard the term hoo. Am I the only one already sick of a freakin hoo, hoov or whatever the hell all that means? Could care less about 'yalls' corny terminology. Beat it, playgrounds thata way...
Ease up if you can't appreciate where they live or what they are called. There are those that might look down there nose at an orange for a mascot.

Congrats UVA you are officially our new Rutgers.
No way are they even close to Rutgers.
WE have an eternity of historical beat downs and trashings, even before the Big East.

You going to beat my "Buttgers" you better have more than a one year abberration.

I am also of the opinion that for the most part, the Virginia fans who have poked their heads in here have been mostly knowledgeable and fair in their analysis and comments. As I briefly mentioned in another thread, every fanbase has their Bjorns and Mantonios who show over the top enthusiasm, and based on their performance this year, they deserve to harbor those emotions.

I'm super excited for the game tomorrow. Going to get the grill out in the 20 degree CNY weather, cook up some clams and about 8-10 steaks, get the brews flowing, and enjoy the afternoon with my buddies.

I think it's going to be a fantastic game. Here's hoping for a game that lives up to the expectations, and may the best team win. Sorry, Cavs... :)
Cusetroop would have his shorts on for that kind of weather while grilling.

Tomorrow......BOO HOO......show us how to cry like the Grinch. Visualize Jim Carrey in Orange. LGO. Let's kick some newbie arsse.

Usually they are some of the nices fans on Earth unless it's a game against us. Th ey are probably just practicing.

Little do you guys know the next phase of the Great Assimilation Raid will be your introduction to Southern Manna...Shrimp and Cheese Grits. :rolling:
Love me some shrimp and grits!

It's only been a week since the first time I ever heard the term hoo. Am I the only one already sick of a freakin hoo, hoov or whatever the hell all that means? Could care less about 'yalls' corny terminology. Beat it, playgrounds thata way...
And here I always thought it hoohoo ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom