And I thought NC State fans were supposed to be the annoying ones in the ACC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

And I thought NC State fans were supposed to be the annoying ones in the ACC

Ease up if you can't appreciate where they live or what they are called. There are those that might look down there nose at an orange for a mascot.
Well when I see a all kinds of that in a "you guys are gonna lose blah blah" post over here on our board, I'm giving it out. I'm assuming when one got deleted yesterday it's because of expected backlash. And it's annoying. Did anyone say be polite to gtown fans or appreciate a freakin hoya?? Gimme a break

Seems more like the new Marquette.

As long as Tony Bennett is their coach they will be one of the top teams in the ACC year in and year out.
Meh, not so sure about that. He certainly hasn't proven anything yet.

Go read their board for a minute or so, and even a bunch of the posts on our board. Lots of cockiness and attempted mocking of our accomplishments for a fanbase whose team hasn't accomplished anything of note so far this season (or any season in ?? years).

But if you feel the need to nobly defend them and admonish SU fans for calling them on it, rock on dude

Before this year, his best years were with a team his dad built. Until 2 years ago, his career was on a keno Davis like trajectory.

I'm not saying he's bad, but sustained top level competitiveness is certainly something be has not demonstrated so far.

Fair points, you're correct that he's yet to truly demonstrate sustained high-level success. But I posted this in another thread sometime a few days ago: consider the state of the Virginia program Bennett inherited (a total mess - our previous coach was not good, to put it lightly), and take a look at his teams' records in the 5 seasons he's been at the helm:

2010: 15-16 (5-11)
2011: 16-15 (7-9)
2012: 22-10 (9-7) - NCAA Tournament appearance
2013: 23-12 (11-7) - NIT quarterfinals
2014: 24-5 (15-1) - NCAA Tournament lock

There's a steady pattern of improvement there. It's taken Bennett some time to find the right mix of players as guys from the previous regime have transferred and graduated, but the steady continuity of the process is why many UVA fans believe he is building a program that will be here to stay as a competitor in a top-notch ACC conference. What's also encouraging is that many players, even those he did not recruit, have demonstrated noticeable improvement under the coaching of Bennett and his staff. Joe Harris and Akil Mitchell, this year's two scholarship seniors and the only two remaining members of Bennett's first recruiting class, are prime examples. Harris has transformed from a one-dimensional outside shooter who was often beaten on defense as a first-year into one of the team's smartest and most versatile offensive players and a very sound defender. Mitchell, an unheralded project player with raw skills and 3/4 tweener size coming out of high school, has built on his plus athleticism and hustle to become one of the best post defenders in the ACC and has dramatically expanded his offensive capabilities since his first year. You may take year-to-year player development for granted, but try rooting for a program that hasn't had anything close to your level of coaching for many years, and you'll see how refreshing it is to have a coach that can bring out that growth in his players.

It's player examples like this, plus the team improvements - both statistical and record-wise - that have UVA fans feeling confident that after several decades of coaching struggles, we finally have our man. You aren't wrong, he still has much to prove if he is to build UVA into a year-in-year-out ACC contender, but right now we're happy as a fanbase to have most signs pointing in that direction.

pencil them in...

4825138_orig.png

"you can't put a a regular season game on a is selling parts ofbthebnets from that gameedestal"
says a fan of a school that thought about moving its court for a regular season game and is selling the nets from said game.

I have grown up in VA so I am very familiar with the fan base and the school. I've seen my fair share of UVA football and basketball games and even have been in the student sections for a couple. I went to the UVA v Oregon game this year, that was brutal. I even tailgated with Howie Long one year when I was younger back when Chris Long was playing there. I was at the game vs UVA in, I think, 2007. One of my friends plays baseball there so I've caught a few games. Overall it's a pretty campus but Charlottesville can be a bit of a bore. For the most part the fans aren't too bad but they do tend to be very snobby. The alumni think of themselves as the Southern elite so to speak. They haven't had a lot of opportunities to talk -ish to other schools (outside of baseball and lax and football recruiting) because they've been so mediocre. This year they have a basketball team worth bragging about in their eyes so they are voicing it. I can't really knock it because we aren't exactly a humble bunch either about the SU program. The Rutgers comparison is way off base, NC State holds that new flag comfortably.

If you're going to the game you will probably enjoy yourself and will likely avoid an altercation because they are not an aggressive or hostile bunch. Very well mannered for the most part. The students do tend to be spoon-fed dbags but every school's students are some kind of dbags in the eyes of another. There aren't nearly as many fans of UVA that did not attend the school as Virginia Tech (those tend to be the worst fans). VT fans are worse than UVA fans by a safe margin (and this is coming from someone who very nearly attended VT). I did have a better time tailgating for VT games than UVA games though.

Meh, not so sure about that. He certainly hasn't proven anything yet.

Go read their board for a minute or so, and even a bunch of the posts on our board. Lots of cockiness and attempted mocking of our accomplishments for a fanbase whose team hasn't accomplished anything of note so far this season (or any season in ?? years).

But if you feel the need to nobly defend them and admonish SU fans for calling them on it, rock on dude
Is that what I'm doing? Okey doke, Sparky.

Here's what I've learned about UVA since moving to Richmond.

Beautiful campus.

Cool city (Charlottesville).

students / alumni.
I made the mistake of thinking a UVA alumni was from VaTech.
Bad mistake.
Real Bad.

My only problem with the UVA members - they all have 'hoo' in their username and I can't identify who is who (no pun intended) yet.
'Rippa' was blurting a lot earlier today but everybody else has been cool.

Nah. I don't buy this. This is their best team in 30 years and they are excited.

Their presence here actually says a lot about how our program is perceived.

We have joined Duke and NC as ACC royalty and Kansas, MSU etc. as national programs.

I have watched them and they are talented and well-coached.

I think it will be a very tough game.
I saw them early in the year vs Wisc-GB and they looked bad in losing. I checked back later in the ACC and they were much more poised.
After a couple games it hit me, they are us.
Brogdon reminds me of Edelin, if he well you know...
Perrantes could be an Ennis light.
The guard play will determine it for sure.
I totally expect a rockfight on the scale of the Miami or last Pitt game.
Fasten your seatbelt.

Congrats UVA you are officially our new Rutgers.
nah, they are better than Rutgers. They are like Pitt fans - they think that their gaudy win streak against a bunch of nothing opponents makes them the budding UCLA of the East.

nah, they are better than Rutgers. They are like Pitt fans - they think that their gaudy win streak against a bunch of nothing opponents makes them the budding UCLA of the East.
Yup.

orangenirvana said:
This superiority crap I'm seeing from SU fans is way over-the-top. I don't care what Virginia has or has not accomplished over the last 30 years. This 2013-14 Virginia team is damn good. I don't get the disrespect. As long as Tony Bennett is their coach they will be one of the top teams in the ACC year in and year out. So we better get used to this.

I've been reading the posts around here the past couple of days and we come off as pompous aholes which I know we're not. I don't know if it's over confidence or what it is but I've never seen it like this on here since I've been posting or lurking.

Facts remain they have a better conference record than us, we win tomorrow we're looking at a tie with us winning the matchup.

Almost every game this month we could have lost except maybe the Clemson game which wasn't exactly impressive. I'm glad we won the games we did and disappointed in the BC game but if it is over confidence then we should probably check it because we haven't been great. If it isn't over confidence then we're being pompous aholes which is just stupid because this board and it's members are far better than that.

Or a low information voter that watches liberal media. Take a look at the polls and see which audience is low information.

I'd rather have less information than MISinformation.

two3zone said:
I've been reading the posts around here the past couple of days and we come off as pompous aholes which I know we're not.

They have a 1 game lead built on an unbalanced schedule, they have struggled recently to beat bad teams like VPI, yet their fans act as if victory is assured. And let's not forget that they are the ones trolling on our board, not vice versa. And you think we're the pompous ones?

That's some real quality concern trolling on your part, two3.

I don't really see that.

Msg Board trash talk = more confusing than fun (this board included)

The many Hoos I know up close (friends etc.) understand the game, hope for the best, and really love their school and team.

moqui said:
They have a 1 game lead built on an unbalanced schedule, they have struggled recently to beat bad teams like VPI, yet their fans act as if victory is assured. And let's not forget that they are the ones trolling on our board, not vice versa. And you think we're the pompous ones? That's some real quality concern trolling on your part, two3.

I'm not defending their actions or anything like that. What I'm saying is the over confidence is quite frightening the way we've been playing the last month. There is an unbalance of schedules but it shouldn't discredit them completely off the map. Many posters are making it sound like we're playing a BC, DePaul, you catch my drift.

'Hoo fans I've met so far are polite and knowledgeable. They respect the team but don't like JB (what else might we expect?). Fortunately, I'm surrounded by SU fans here in a Charlottesville motel (albeit LAX fans). My sympathies to the SU LAX team having to play outdoors tonight because it's unusually cold by Virginia standards.-VBOF

I won't claim to have read every post about them, but there's no way in hell anyone on this board thinks of them as a BC or DePaul, c'mon. That's just plain dumb. Now in the context of trash talking and banter back and forth, it might stretch the bounds a bit, but it's just that. The hand wringing and complaining about our posters is just really thin skinned. Nobody got derogatory or anything close. There's also no way any Virginia fan comes on our board and doesn't expect some sort of trash talk. No harm, no foul..

ssbriefcase said:
I won't claim to have read every post about them, but there's no way in hell anyone on this board thinks of them as a BC or DePaul, c'mon. That's just plain dumb. Now in the context of trash talking and banter back and forth, it might stretch the bounds a bit, but it's just that. The hand wringing and complaining about our posters is just really thin skinned. Nobody got derogatory or anything close. There's also no way any Virginia fan comes on our board and doesn't expect some sort of trash talk. No harm, no foul..

The first post in this thread calls them our new Rutgers along with many posts following that agreeing or highly discrediting them this season. Being compared to Rutgers is quite derogatory in my book and being 15-1 in the ACC gives them some credibility, more than Rutgers has ever gained basketballwise.

Well it was in response to some (not all) coming over spewing some crazy talk when no one's heard of them for multiple decades in bball. What does anyone expect? That's why at least one thread that one of them started got deleted. Being compared to Rutgers is very far from real derogatory talk. It's still in the confines of basketball. It's hoop trash talk, this is the internet, it's gonna happen. There can be contact without blowing the whistle, this is just a play on...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom