And then there were 40... | Syracusefan.com

And then there were 40...

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
http://espn.go.com/college-football...elt-play-new-orlando-bowl-game-beginning-2015

The American Athletic and Sun Belt conferences will participate in a new bowl game in Orlando, Fla., in 2015, sources said Tuesday.

The addition of the game -- it will be called the Cure Bowl and benefit breast cancer-related charities -- will increase the number of bowls in 2015 to a record 40, although that includes the College Football Playoff title game, so only 78 bowl teams will be needed.
There are 39 bowls (requiring 76 teams) expected for the coming season -- up from 35 games and 70 teams that went to bowls in 2013.

I don't want to knock all of these minor bowls--these communities have the right to sponsor them if they choose to do so. But that means that there will be 80 teams playing in bowls. EIGHTY!

There was a time when making a bowl actually was an accomplishment instead of something that even mediocre teams get as a "participation" award.

I still smart from the 1994 team going 7-4, but being deemed unworthy of a bowl. Would never happen in today's over-saturated bowl environment.

I don't want to knock all of these minor bowls--these communities have the right to sponsor them if they choose to do so. But that means that there will be 80 teams playing in bowls. EIGHTY!

There was a time when making a bowl actually was an accomplishment instead of something that even mediocre teams get as a "participation" award.

I still smart from the 1994 team going 7-4, but being deemed unworthy of a bowl. Would never happen in today's over-saturated bowl environment.
just look at it as a 13 game season for the truely big boys.

cheap plug time:

back in the day college was 11 and a few had bowls.

pro was 16 and a few made the playoffs.

a 5 game gap.

now its 13 and 16.

lets get that 5 game gap back.

18 game NFL regular season.

thank you.

as you were.

Oh Lord

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member