And there you go... | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

And there you go...

I completely agree with everything, with the exception of the opening. I think he faced a lot of adversity last season. He didn't know Battle was coming back. Carey's expectation coming in wasn't just that he would start, but without Battle, he would be relied on for a lot of scoring. Not only did he suffer a minor injury early, he also didn't settle in as a starter, didn't settle in as a bench guy, and went from thinking he would be a focal point putting up points to being in "I can't screw up when I get minutes."

Like I said though, I think your overall point is well made. There is absolutely no reason for our fan base here to be piling on.
That's fine (second dose of adversity) and not my main point.

That said, I like Jalen Carey MORE because he came in last year, his situation changed immediately (Battle back) and yet he struck around and by ALL accounts, worked his tail off both in practice and in the offseason. To me, that's a kid that I want to get over the hurdles. I think he can.

I trust JAB, but I will say this, Carey's sampling of "failure" this year is extremely small. I mean minuscule. Yes, he's been denied at the rim about 4-5 times, but at least he got there. Right? Who else is doing that?

To use a baseball analogy, in my mind, Carey is about 0-for-8 at the plate in his first 2 games of the season. And he's benched. Okay. Fine. But remember, Willie Mays started his HOF career 1-for-26 in his first seven games.

Carey is going to come around and help win some games. I hope it is at SU.

That's fine (second dose of adversity) and not my main point.

That said, I like Jalen Carey MORE because he came in last year, his situation changed immediately (Battle back) and yet he struck around and by ALL accounts, worked his tail off both in practice and in the offseason. To me, that's a kid that I want to get over the hurdles. I think he can.

I trust JAB, but I will say this, Carey's sampling of "failure" this year is extremely small. I mean minuscule. Yes, he's been denied at the rim about 4-5 times, but at least he got there. Right? Who else is doing that?

To use a baseball analogy, in my mind, Carey is about 0-for-8 at the plate in his first 2 games of the season. And he's benched. Okay. Fine. But remember, Willie Mays started his HOF career 1-for-26 in his first seven games.

Carey is going to come around and help win some games. I hope it is at SU.
His job is to help distribute. Not just “get to the rim.” How come the offense ran better with Girard out there then carey

carey wasn't the only issue first 5 minutes. whole team was off. BB missed 2 jumpers and a layup.

Last edited:
His job is to help distribute. Not just “get to the rim.” How come the offense ran better with Girard out there then carey
It did. Agreed. Doesn’t mean it will forever.

You get that right? These games are a snapshot.
Who said that making judgments off the game against UVA is not fair? Yep ... JAB.

I'm saying that JB is a disproportionate reason of transfers compared to other coaches and programs.
the verbal commits tables show that is just not true.

jb has lost 2 kids to transfer the last 4 classes
some comparisons (i'm not counting former walk ons):
duke has lost 3
louisville has lost 2
virginia has lost 2
kansas has lost 7 (including 1 who left the team without transferring)
arizona has lost 4
kentucky has lost 4 kids
villanova has lost 3

Last edited:
using the verbal commits tables show that is just not true.

jb has lost 2 kids to transfer the last 3 seasons
some comparisons (i'm not counting former walk ons):
duke has lost 3
louisville has lost 2
virginia has lost 2
kansas has lost 7 (including 1 who left the team without transferring)
arizona has lost 4
kentucky has lost 4 kids
villanova has lost 3
yeah but those tables don't show which players leave because of the coach being mean

It did. Agreed. Doesn’t mean it will forever.

You get that right? These games are a snapshot.
Who said that making judgments off the game against UVA is not fair? Yep ... JAB.
So we should leave Carey in there so the whine brigade could complain we barely beat Colgate or god forbid lose

It is sad but I think it's the Coach's fault for playing him at PG, he doesn't have the skills to play that position. After how he played last season it's crazy that he was given another chance to play there.
Then where is he going to play? He's not as good as Buddy at the 2. He's not playing the 3,4 or 5 either. That's all there is.

yeah but those tables don't show which players leave because of the coach being mean

“Coach is screwing me”, “I don’t like coach”, etc. is such a universal thing when things don’t go well. Hardly an SU thing.

Then where is he going to play? He's not as good as Buddy at the 2. He's not playing the 3,4 or 5 either. That's all there is.

I'd like to see a 3-guard lineup of he, Goodine, and Washington sub for Hughes, BuddyB, and Girard. Boeheim could tell them they'd stay in the game no matter what happens for 5 minutes or so per half IF the score didn't get out of hand - let's say 3 or 4 point negative difference from when they entered the game. It would give the starters a breather and might be a good pressing unit.

Transfers in D-1 at are at a record high every year for like the past 6 years. Kids lose jobs and leave immediately. The same thing happens at the QB position in D-1 football.
Not the right thread for this, but in the case of QBs, I think that's probably a really good thing, for both the players and the competitive balance of the sport as a whole.

I want him to be good so bad. Every time he got to the rim tonight he was stripped or blocked; hard to fathom. He’s a legit 6’5
No way is Carey 6'5. 6'3 tops.

JG3 may be the most confident Frosh I've seen in our program in a while. Unlike other Frosh who got big minutes (melo, GMac, Ennis), he is battling others for minutes and playing knowing mistakes could lead to a quick hook, yet he plays like he's still in the Foothills Council battling Gloversville. He takes some shots and tries some passes that make you say "um easy young fella", but he also brings an energy and confidence that is innate and an intangible that this team (and frankly this program) needs. Not sure all players bring that sense of self to the program and are able to maintain it thru the rigors of JB and competition, but in a very limited sample size this kid plays with pace, energy, feel for the game, and self-confidence that is really fun to watch.

Yeah, this is a good post. I took my son to watch him in that DC all-star game and it was easily the thing that jumped out the most -- even beyond his shooting and knack for finding a way to make plays offensively. Not sure anything speaks to this more clearly than the fact that he had a big impact in a game where he went 2 of 6 and scored 5 points.

Still wonder a bit about the handle (though it's been much better than I thought it would be) and decision-making against better teams, but it's hard to ignore the energy and swag he brings when he's on the floor.

In my opinion, one big difference between Girard and Carey is that one player is playing like he has house money the other player is playing like he’s down to his last chips. I think Carey puts way too much pressure on himself to succeed and it’s showing up on the court.

Come on what? He humiliated Carey after the game by announcing he's lost his job.
Pretty sure Carey probably had words at half that JB did not like. JB will not tolerate being told who he should be playing.

That's a lot of baseless speculation. He's two games into his sophomore season, so there's a good chance his story as a player here has yet to be written.
I’m not saying it is but he is doing the same exact things he did all year as a freshman. Look I’m not saying he can’t get better I’m not saying that at all, I’m just making an observation of what I’ve seen so far OK

In my opinion, one big difference between Girard and Carey is that one player is playing like he has house money the other player is playing like he’s down to his last chips. I think Carey puts way too much pressure on himself to succeed and it’s showing up on the court.
Carey's shooting ability is not good, therefore he presses to attack the rim and it is not working at this level, he gets stripped or blocked. He must have a mid range jumper to become effective. His passing to teammates also has been poor. He needs to work on his game to play. Nobody on here would be unhappy with that if he was playing more effectively.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom