And there you go... | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

And there you go...

I think it's possible -- especially since it will likely coincide with the end of the father's career.

Jimmy made the right choice going to Cornell, both on and off the court. He also didn't have Buddy's "pedigree," wasn't as highly rated, etc. He could have chosen to come to SU and ride the pine, but instead he went to a place where he could both play and get an elite education.

And as circumstance would have it, instead of just rounding into "a guy," he's become "THE guy" for that program. That was no given. But I think he's proven that he could play and contribute at a bigger program. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him look to grad transfer to SU.

He would have to graduate in 3 years to have eligibility left since I don’t think Ivy League lets you redshirt but guess it’s possible if he works hard enough

And even guys who used to 'feud' with JB while at Cuse - Paul Harris and Dion are some recent examples - have since stated that JB was right all along, they were wrong, and they should have listened to him more.

if Rony Seikaly made amends with JB after all that happened between them (including JB at one point saying that Rony was an idiot and always has been) then anyone can. I am not happy with the job JB has done in recent years but I do believe at the end of the day that even the players who didn't like him ended up liking him

That’s what’s kinda baffling about him. I can’t really remember many impressive finishes or passes off penetration from him. It’s usually a missed shot or a turnover. And he seems to get blocked at a high rate. With his athleticism you’d think he’d be decent at finishing at the rim.

Maybe in time he will be. But for a guy whose not much of an outside threat and who hasn’t demonstrated that good of passing ability, he kinda needs to be able to get to the rack and score decently right now, to be a factor.

Only thing I’ve really seen offensively so far is flashes of a midrange game, and the ability to run the floor and get layups here and there.

His athleticism would make it seem like a nice fit as a great 6th man instant offense Lou Williams role except for not really being good at anything offensively so far.

if Rony Seikaly made amends with JB after all that happened between them (including JB at one point saying that Rony was an idiot and always has been) then anyone can. I am not happy with the job JB has done in recent years but I do believe at the end of the day that even the players who didn't like him ended up liking him

Heck Louie McCroskey has even been back at some of the fantasy camps with former players.

His athleticism would make it seem like a nice fit as a great 6th man instant offense Lou Williams role except for not really being good at anything offensively so far.

Yep, guys like Dion and Deshaun did pretty well in that role without much consistent perimeter shooting ability.

Do you attend games at the dome?
Not sure the point of this question. Yes, I attend several games each year, home and away. And I watch almost every other game on TV.

Players that have been on the team within the last 4 years. Yes.
Ok..so, not only are you in contact with current players but you have a role where you see them enough and speak to them enough that they trust you enough to tell you that they don't like the head coach?

Because they aren't making that statement to any Joe off the street or even someone who is around the program a lot (put it this way, I doubt there is anyone on the board that is closer to the program than CTO and I highly doubt any player would ever tell CTO that he doesn't like the head coach. You need to really have a relationship with someone for a player to confide something that is that sensitive.)

So, forgive my skepticism, but you are going to have to prove your bonafides, vis-a-vis the program, before I take this statement at face value.

Ok so McCullough lasted 10 games here and JB didn’t have great things to say about him. He’s been back.

Lydon worked out here for about 2 weeks this summer and by most accounts he and JB didn’t have the greatest relationship. He was a hop guy.

Gillon has been back and openly supports the program.

White was recruited by Boeheim to be on Boeheims Army and was here this summer.

That’s just four guys off the top of my head.

Last edited:
If you've watched the game for the past 5+ years, you would see it. Look at how players respond to being taken out of the game by JB. Does Coach K/Roy/Self/Cal/ etc. have players yelling back at him? Watch for 5 minutes and count the eye rolls and distancing from JB. Things were completely different with Hopkins around to play good cop and smooth things over, and actually coach the players. How many SU players does JB need to trash to the media to make a point? Remember "(Roberson) is only starting because there's nobody else..."? Have you ever heard another coach say anything remotely like that? Ever hear a head coach say his player made a mistake by entering to the draft and he's not ready?

The players don't like or respect JB. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.

I can believe this and I can believe bees at the same time. Boeheim has never been a warm and fuzzy guy. He's stubborn and he can rub people the wrong way. Stories of players' open feuds and shows of disrespect go back decades. The board insiders have also talked many times about how assistants had to talk down players from making rash decisions. At the same time, many of those players later on learned to appreciate Boeheim and understood what he was trying to get out of them. Some of them, unfortunately, didn't get it until it was too late. It seems to be happening more often and I think that's where Hop is missed the most.

I can believe this and I can believe bees at the same time. Boeheim has never been a warm and fuzzy guy. He's stubborn and he can rub people the wrong way. Stories of players' open feuds and shows of disrespect go back decades. The board insiders have also talked many times about how assistants had to talk down players from making rash decisions. At the same time, many of those players later on learned to appreciate Boeheim and understood what he was trying to get out of them. Some of them, unfortunately, didn't get it until it was too late. It seems to be happening more often and I think that's where Hop is missed the most.

Guys like Dion and Paul Harris come to mind for me. There were a few times Hop had to go to Niagara Falls to bring back Paul Harris. Sometimes that's immaturity on the players part. I don't think either player dislikes JB today. Dion is still having issues that seem to be immaturity related. The head coach has to draw a line on the sand sometimes, and he's not going to be popular all the time.

I can easily believe that few of the players like JB. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Buddy didn't really like him, either.

It seems to me it's a pretty standard "tough love", drill sergeant kind of thing.

Even if they don't like him, I hope they respect him.

The players don't like or respect JB. That's not an opinion, that's a fact.
so instead of warning isaiah jackson about what a nasty old man he is & how he'd be better off anywhere else, they (and their parents) just straight up lied to him & his folks?

No, that’s an opinion. Ever wonder why so many former players come back? Ever been to a final 4 game and seen the hordes of former players? Far more than any other team participating.
The players, including those who've transferred, have stated again and again that Syracuse is a warm and welcoming place. You don't say that if you hated the coach. Guys that were here a year are still part of "Boeheim's Army" - not "Hopkin's Army" or "Otto's Army."

again. have one of your many guards asst coaches talk to jalen first half and explain where he needs to get better. nobody played great those first 5 minutes to put us behind. it wasn't 1 dude. start jalen the 2nd half a nd see what happens. if no improvement there you go. you sub him and this thread disappears. to freeze him out for the remainder of an easy victory blows this up and poisons your player relationship moving forward.
i get that JB wants to win. if we can't beat colgate with jalen carey playing the full 40 minutes then jimmy you got a long season ahead with NIT written on the cake. this could have been resolved in house. instead JB chooses to make it a public shaming for one of our better players. shame on him.

again. have one of your many guards asst coaches talk to jalen first half and explain where he needs to get better. nobody played great those first 5 minutes to put us behind. it wasn't 1 dude. start jalen the 2nd half a nd see what happens. if no improvement there you go. you sub him and this thread disappears. to freeze him out for the remainder of an easy victory blows this up and poisons your player relationship moving forward.
i get that JB wants to win. if we can't beat colgate with jalen carey playing the full 40 minutes then jimmy you got a long season ahead with NIT written on the cake. this could have been resolved in house. instead JB chooses to make it a public shaming for one of our better players. shame on him.
One of our better players? I'm sorry, but what has he shown in game situations that makes you think that? Outside of the UConn game last season, I don't think you can make a claim like that.

coaching staff named him starting point this season after much evaluation. why was that ? he blows ?

Not giving a struggling player more playing time is not a “public shaming”.

This was the 3rd straight game where the team started horribly and it’s becoming clear that the starting lineup isn’t working.

You can keep making your point that “nobody played well in the first 5 minutes” and I’ll counter with...Jalen had played the worst of the starting 5 on the season(including exhibitions). Hughes is the best player on the team. Buddy is the second best and the best shooter. Sidibe is the only big guy with experience. Those 3 have to start. So it’s either Marek or Jalen who gets bumped. Marek is a much more proven player at this point.

And I’m guessing there was a reason beyond his play that Jalen didn’t get back in...and it wasn’t Boeheim trying to embarrass him. You read into these things and assume the worst about the coach all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom