Class of 2016 - Andrew White iii... the third | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 Andrew White iii... the third

Status
Not open for further replies.
As has been said, if the pops is studying the recent history, we have a clear need to fill at Mali's spot. Technically a 3 but in our offense there's no difference with the 2 except on D. For AW, perhaps he'd rather play against guys his own size that he can trap on the backline, rather than on top, where he might get exposed by quicker, small guys. Seems like that worked out pretty well for Mali (not to mention WesJ, another one year xfer from a midwest school). Mix and match with TB and see who's better suited for what. And then there's the playing in front of 25k every night.

FWIW (sorry if repost) from report a while ago in Miami Herald about what UM has for next year. Seems like they have a lot of shooters.

Among the four players in UM’s best freshman class ever, shooting guard Bruce Brown internally is considered the most ready to contribute; he can shoot, penetrate and he’s already physically strong. Some believe he could be a college version of Russell Westbrook….

But forward Dewan Huell, guard Dejan Vasiljevic and perhaps center Rodney Miller also should play as freshmen… A natural two-guard, Vasilijevic has reinforced in offseason workouts that he’s a great shooter, with some toughness and polish and ability to play some point guard…

Ja’Quan Newton, who replaces Angel Rodriguez at point guard, has spent a lot of time refining his jump shot…

UM has one more scholarship and would love to add another ballhandler. Miami is among the schools on the radar for Buffalo sophomore transfer Lamonte Bearden but is not a favorite for him... Davon Reed, UM’s most accomplished returnee, could play small forward if San Jose State transfer Rashad Muhammad seizes the starting shooting guard job.

“He's a very different athlete from [now Washington Wizards guard] Sheldon McClellan,” Jim Larranaga said. “Rashad is a shooter/scorer. Can really shoot the three. Has very clever moves going to the basket. His area of emphasis is to get better defensively, become a rebounder and get stronger.”...

O13 you grow up in syracuse?
No, my dad was a pilot in the Air Force (F-4 and then the F-16). So I kinda grew up all over including Germany for 2 years.

I applied to grad school all over. Duke, Florida, UCF, Penn State etc.

But I'll never forget touring Syracuse the first time. I had heard of course of the sports as a kid but I thought it was so cool as I walked up to the Hall of Languages, then past Hendricks and saw the Carrier Dome. Otto was also skating around and I got my picture with him right then and there.

I started hoping I'd get accepted because Syracuse seemed like a well rounded place. Great academics and high profile sports.

The rest is history...

FWIW (sorry if repost) from report a while ago in Miami Herald about what UM has for next year. Seems like they have a lot of shooters.

Among the four players in UM’s best freshman class ever, shooting guard Bruce Brown internally is considered the most ready to contribute; he can shoot, penetrate and he’s already physically strong. Some believe he could be a college version of Russell Westbrook….

But forward Dewan Huell, guard Dejan Vasiljevic and perhaps center Rodney Miller also should play as freshmen… A natural two-guard, Vasilijevic has reinforced in offseason workouts that he’s a great shooter, with some toughness and polish and ability to play some point guard…

Ja’Quan Newton, who replaces Angel Rodriguez at point guard, has spent a lot of time refining his jump shot…

UM has one more scholarship and would love to add another ballhandler. Miami is among the schools on the radar for Buffalo sophomore transfer Lamonte Bearden but is not a favorite for him... Davon Reed, UM’s most accomplished returnee, could play small forward if San Jose State transfer Rashad Muhammad seizes the starting shooting guard job.

“He's a very different athlete from [now Washington Wizards guard] Sheldon McClellan,” Jim Larranaga said. “Rashad is a shooter/scorer. Can really shoot the three. Has very clever moves going to the basket. His area of emphasis is to get better defensively, become a rebounder and get stronger.”...
wow... just wow. what a terrible piece of reporting.

RF2044 said:
Okay--so shifting gears about, White is taking an unofficial, self-funded trip to Coral Gables today. Looks like it is a steamy 91 degrees today: Too bad it isn't raining--a torrential downpour to ruin the trip would be nice. Back to White: is this a one day trip? And if so, how quickly can / should we expect to hear something from the player?

While I believe and feel good about O13's info., doesn't the theory of respecting Izzo by not bailing on MSU in less than a week also apply to Larranaga? Meaning either we get bad news soon or wait more than a week for good news? Ugh.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    236.6 KB · Views: 68
I agree with basically none of that. "14 years ago" was a long time ago and it's the only example I can think of that was even somewhat recent.

Those 06-08 teams just weren't very good...more due to recruiting misses and injuries than chemistry in my opinion.

It's pretty rare to watch a Cuse team where the right guys aren't taking the right shots, in my opinion. I think guys knowing their roles and playing them are one of the program's strengths.

trob, devo, and watkins were all pretty highly recruited. But i get your point at the same time.

They were all buddies. But it was a square in round hole fit.

We know Andrew enjoyed his Syracuse visit, and I trust Orangeman13's source. He said well before anyone else that MSU wasn't going to be a factor and he proved to be right *major props*. On the flip side, O13 said this was a done deal for a few weeks now, and that just isn't the case. He may very well end up at Syracuse, but if it's as done as he says there's no reason to be visiting Miami. I think the Richmond visit was a joke. If he stays home it'll be VCU, not Richmond, but that's still a longshot.

Hopefully AW III gets swarmed by mosquitoes on his way to the UM campus and runs right back on his plane!

trob, devo, and watkins were all pretty highly recruited. But i get your point at the same time.

They were all buddies. But it was a square in round hole fit.

Highly recruited, but only Devendorf was a good college player all the way through(but his injury along with Rautins injury killed the 2008 season). Watkins had a pretty decent senior year. Roberts tried hard and was decent. The measurables were there with those two...the basketball skills weren't that strong though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom