Andrew White III | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Andrew White III

I admittedly have been emotionally unstable about AW3 this year. Early in the year I said he was one of the most talented offensive players in SU history. Then a short time ago I said I hated the way he played and that he didn't hustle or try. I'll try to be more even-keeled.

He's not a talented offensive player in the sense of he scores in a variety of a ways. But the guy is a scorer and in a game where you win by scoring more points than the other team, there is always room for scorers.

Love the praise, but to nitpick I still stay true to the statement that Lydon is our best player but quite a bit, and that's not a knock on white
I agree. Although, to his credit, I saw White doing some things today I'm not sure I have seen him do all year. He was active on D, fast in setting up traps, etc. Lightbulb went on? :noidea:

It scares me when I see White try to dribble up the court; can't recall seeing as good a scorer as he is that looks like he's on the verge of turning it over any time he dribbles. But beyond that, White has been great this year; I'm very happy to have him.

To be fair, Issac would eat most players alive. He's THAT good. Lydon had trouble with him too.

Isaac is the only player on Florida St. that showed any real combination of fundamental skills and athletic prowess. It's not shocking he was successful against us. Thank goodness he had chest congestion; I'd hate to see what he may have done if 100%.

I think you guys shatting on the posters who denounced his defensive efforts and hustle is a bit uncalled for. Andrew White acknowledged in interviews that he realized he was playing one dimensionally and had to make adjustments. He made adjustments. Everyone's happy now.

Isaac is the only player on Florida St. that showed any real combination of fundamental skills and athletic prowess. It's not shocking he was successful against us. Thank goodness he had chest congestion; I'd hate to see what he may have done if 100%.
Bacon?

Some of the dumbest posts I have seen on this board this season have been directed towards this guy. I'll say that a lot of that probably just comes from the fact the team as a whole has struggled relative to expectations and usual Syracuse standards, so you're always looking for the blame.

That said- 24 pts, 9 boards, 4 steals, 4 threes, 4-4 from the line. Some big box outs late. This guy has had a fantastic season for us, and has had multiple games with a very quiet 20+ pts.

He's doing exactly what everyone hoped he would do for his one year here. How often does that happen?

I agree. Although, to his credit, I saw White doing some things today I'm not sure I have seen him do all year. He was active on D, fast in setting up traps, etc. Lightbulb went on?

He continues to hit important shots for this team. The team has gone from not having anyone that seems to want the ball in crunch time to two "clutch" shooters in White and Lyndon.

Many knock White's defense. Those detractors forget or ignore that he has played primarily man-to-man defense for the entirety of his college career. Furthermore, he's played two different versions of that, with different help defense rules, ball denial principles, screen-and-roll responsibilities, etc. It's no wonder that he has needed time to learn yet another set of rules and rotations.

As for his "lack of hustle," some players just glide while playing. Though they may not appear to be hustling as much as some other players, they are playing hard. They just look more graceful doing so. Lawrence Moten glided; Kristof Ongenaet didn't.

Bacon?

This is the third time I've watched Bacon. I think SU has three better, more fundamentally skilled players on our team in Lyndon, White, and Battle. That says something considering that SU's fundamentals leave something to be desired.

In addition, I'm not sure he possesses elite athleticism.

I'm not saying Bacon isn't a solid college player, but I wouldn't pencil this Florida St. team into the Final Four if Bacon is one of their two best players.

This is the third time I've watched Bacon. I think SU has three better, more fundamentally skilled players on our team in Lyndon, White, and Battle. That says something considering that SU's fundamentals leave something to be desired.

I'm not saying Bacon isn't a solid college player, but I wouldn't pencil this Florida St. team into the Final Four if Bacon is one of their two best players.
This just released mock draft has Issac at #3, Lydon at 24 and Bacon at 27.

Curious. Where do you think Bacon is lacking: skills or athletic ability?

I see Bacon as a far better athlete than White. White is a better long range outside shooter but Bacon has a major advantage driving and shooting midrange jumpers. Looks like a better defender to me too.

2017 NBA Mock Draft 1.0: Top 30 prospects

24. Raptors: Tyler Lydon, F, Syracuse | Sophomore

He hasn't been quite as good as some hoped in his sophomore season, but his combination of size and shooting will likely land him a spot in the first round if he leaves school.

What?!

I never have understood the White hate at all. The 'auditioning for the NBA' would be happening anywhere. That's a bunch of garbage and of course he is trying to impress. Sure you hope he can play better D, rebound better on occasion, and not make a dumb turnover (Kris Joseph style) but he came here to shoot/score and he has delivered big time with that. Beyond expectations at least for me. Today was his best game as an Orangeman. Maybe of his career. He was all over the floor against a very talented team. Seems like a great kid, too. Most games we don't have good PG play so he has to deal with that as well.

24. Raptors: Tyler Lydon, F, Syracuse | Sophomore

He hasn't been quite as good as some hoped in his sophomore season, but his combination of size and shooting will likely land him a spot in the first round if he leaves school.

What?!
People that write this bullshit don't watch games or understand basketball.

Battle is not as good as Bacon. Bacon is what we want Battle to be. He has a ways to go to yet to be as good as Bacon.

He continues to hit important shots for this team. The team has gone from not having anyone that seems to want the ball in crunch time to two "clutch" shooters in White and Lyndon.
I think you may need to include Gillon as "clutch" in the sense of closing out games. He looked Gmac-ish in running clock and hitting FT's at the end. Excellent weapon to have.

As for AW3's improvement, there are two very good reasons for it:
1. He was late getting here, less time.
2. JB's giving him a chance at the 2, where AW3 wanted to be. I believe it was a mistake in that it has cost us time for AW3 to fully develop his D at the forward position.

If SU can sneak in again this year, once again no one will want to have to play us.

This just released mock draft has Issac at #3, Lydon at 24 and Bacon at 27.

Curious. Where do you think Bacon is lacking: skills or athletic ability?

I see Bacon as a far better athlete than White. White is a better long range outside shooter but Bacon has a major advantage driving and shooting midrange jumpers. Looks like a better defender to me too.

2017 NBA Mock Draft 1.0: Top 30 prospects

Hey, Tom!

Truthfully, I don't think either player is ideal for the NBA.

White wasn't a horrible man-to-man defender at Nebraska, though I wouldn't say he was the second coming of Jordan. Still, his lack of speed and lateral quickness will hurt him at the next level. Additionally, White's lack of handle will limit his NBA upside, but his shooting will give him a chance to make a roster. However, the truth is that he would already be in the league if he was a real prospect.

Bacon is younger, so he would get bumped in NBA mock drafts because of his potential upside. He hasn't looked great to me against the better talent in terms of his fundamental skills. Scoring matters, and it is no doubt Bacon's best skill. The game is more than just that, though. He scored 18 against UNC (who is not an elite defense), but did very little else. He had an average shooting game with few rebounds, assists, steals, etc. He had two boards, one steal, one block, and three turnovers. To his credit, he scored 26 of his 29 points against Virginia on the road in the second half. Again, he didn't really do much else, though: one board, two steals, one turnover, no assists. He hit a couple of midrange jumpers yesterday, but really never found a groove against us. He secured four rebounds, but had no assists, no steals, no blocks, and two turnovers. As a guard (not the point guard, but still a guy with the ball in his hands quite a bit), he turns it over more than he provides assists.

I'm not sure he's truly much more than an average to above average defender, either, though I admittedly would have to study him more closely to make a full judgment.

In the end, he is a very good scorer in college that does little else to help a team at this point. If he's not an elite athlete at this level, he will struggle to score in the NBA the way he does in college. NBA gms will have to decide what else he might bring to their teams.

Neither White nor Bacon is an elite athlete. You may be correct; Bacon may be better athletically than White. Lots of players in the P6 conferences are. Is he so much better that he makes Florida St. a better team than White would if they switched teams? Probably marginally at best given that he averages one point more a game. That said, White is a more effective offensive player based on effective FG%. They're both good college scorers, but neither is a fundamentally well-rounded, athletic game-changer.

Last edited:
Battle is not as good as Bacon. Bacon is what we want Battle to be. He has a ways to go to yet to be as good as Bacon.

Though I agree, Bacon has had an extra year to develop. Battle is more well-rounded as a player fundamentally, too.

I think you may need to include Gillon as "clutch" in the sense of closing out games. He looked Gmac-ish in running clock and hitting FT's at the end. Excellent weapon to have.

As for AW3's improvement, there are two very good reasons for it:
1. He was late getting here, less time.
2. JB's giving him a chance at the 2, where AW3 wanted to be. I believe it was a mistake in that it has cost us time for AW3 to fully develop his D at the forward position.

If SU can sneak in again this year, once again no one will want to have to play us.

It was really Gillon's first chance to close out a close win for us at the line. He did so the way you would hope a 5th-year player would. I was thrilled to see that.

It was really Gillon's first chance to close out a close win for us at the line. He did so the way you would hope a 5th-year player would. I was thrilled to see that.
I'm hoping this is the end game Gillon we see the rest of the way.

The drain the clock to the 12 second mark with a decent lead, shows he has received JB's message of how to play the end game. Hitting clutch FT's is exactly what you like to see out of a pg directing this type of strategy. Gives us a 3rd crunch time player.

When White's transfer was discussed this past July, Mike Waters asked some experts about his strengths and weaknesses. I posted it below. People forget that White is 6'7" playing small forward, the same size as Mike Gbinije who was deemed a good defender for a guard but not as a forward because of his size. Andrew White is playing small forward here at SU vs guard at Kansas and Nebraska. Andrew's man to man defense was always considered below average but to his credit has been studying film with GMac to continually improve his understanding and zone execution here. He's averaged 1.3 assists a game as a forward this year more than doubling his assists per game at Nebraska as a guard. A very articulate intelligent young man, he's been flexible and a real asset here at SU.

Strengths

DeCourcy: "I saw a good bit of Andrew for Nebraska and think he can be an asset to any Division I team. He's an above-average athlete, shoots it well from long range and is an excellent rebounder for a player his size.''

King: "He's a really good 3-point shooter. He's obviously big at 6-7, so that's a match-up problem. He's mentally tough and aggressive. He'll get in there and rebound. He's not a softie.''

Weaknesses

King: "I think they worried a little bit about his quickness and lateral movement at Kansas. (Kansas coach) Bill (Self) is a big-time defense guy.''

DeCourcy: "He doesn't pass the ball that well, or that much, but that may be adjusted presuming the overall level of talent around him improves.''

Andrew White played the four position at Nebraska because he couldn't guard the three or two in man defense.

Andrew White played the four position at Nebraska because he couldn't guard the three or two in man defense.

Maybe some of that, and maybe it was because he was pretty much the tallest or 2nd tallest human being on the floor for them much of the time, but not big enough to play the 5.
Pretty sure he was their leading rebounder, as well as scorer and 3pt shooter.