Class of 2014 - Andrew Wiggins | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Andrew Wiggins

SU has a good history with Canadian players - Check.

SU has a solid PG coming in who is also from Canada - Check,

SU has a solid cast of centers and power forwards who rebound and play defense but don't need the ball - Check.

SU has some definite openings at SG/SF - Check.

IMHO, Wiggins would do himself a great service to look seriously at SU.

SU has a good history with Canadian players - Check.

SU has a solid PG coming in who is also from Canada - Check,

SU has a solid cast of centers and power forwards who rebound and play defense but don't need the ball - Check.

SU has some definite openings at SG/SF - Check.

IMHO, Wiggins would do himself a great service to look seriously at SU.

Would do all of us a huge favor if he came here. Just saying.

In the cbssports blog they said they talked to Wiggins coach earlier and he said the 5 schools on Wiggins list are all showing similar interest. The 5 schools on his list were FSU, UNC, UK, Kansas, and Ohio State...

Tomcat any idea or update? I know you said we have as good a shot as any recently, and I'm sure have heard that news from great sources, but why is it we apparently aren't on the list or we never hear anything about the staff going to watch him like we do with all these other schools?

In the cbssports blog they said they talked to Wiggins coach earlier and he said the 5 schools on Wiggins list are all showing similar interest. The 5 schools on his list were FSU, UNC, UK, Kansas, and Ohio State...

Tomcat any idea or update? I know you said we have as good a shot as any recently, and I'm sure have heard that news from great sources, but why is it we apparently aren't on the list or we never hear anything about the staff going to watch him like we do with all these other schools?
Well I guess that takes us out of the Wiggins chase :(

@AdamZagoria: John Calipari, Orlando Antigua and Kenny Payne are all watching @22wiggins play today in Kentucky. He has 17 and 10 so far.

Getting Roberson hurts our chances. We have a pile of SF types lined up for next year now. Getting Wiggins really creates a logjam there. To be fair to the players who were willing to commit to SU, the staff might be optting to just let him go.

If he contacted JB and said he wants in, I think JB would have to say yes. But that doesn't happen with once a decade players like Wiggins.

In the final analysis, I think the staff decided it was better to take the sure thing with Roberson rather than go all in, pursue Andrew and possibly end up without a top notch combo forward in the class.

But that is just my take on the situation. Tough call for sure.

Getting Roberson hurts our chances. We have a pile of SF types lined up for next year now. Getting Wiggins really creates a logjam there. To be fair to the players who were willing to commit to SU, the staff might be optting to just let him go.

If he contacted JB and said he wants in, I think JB would have to say yes. But that doesn't happen with once a decade players like Wiggins.

In the final analysis, I think the staff decided it was better to take the sure thing with Roberson rather than go all in, pursue Andrew and possibly end up without a top notch combo forward in the class.

Ah to settle for a 4 star SF ... :(

Thanks, I had a similar read on the situation. I don't blame the staff to be honest. It would be great to have Wiggins but it wouldn't be smart to go chasing him and let Roberson go if he's ready to come on board and really wants to be here. I'm excited for Roberson. I think he's going to be a perfect fit for our system and he seems to have a real high ceiling. To be able to rotate forwards with the combination of length, athleticism, and skill like Roberson, grant, and McCullough along the back line wings of the zone is going to be a lot of fun. Especially going against those ACC teams that wont be used to the zone and not sure how to attack it.

Consider the hypothetical stated here:

We just recruited a 5 man recruiting class with many short and long term needs filled, with one player at every position. Ennis and Roberson are potentially immediate impact talents, while the rest are more project types. Nobody we have recruited is going to stop Dakari Johnson or Ender Wiggins from coming to Syracuse.

Coleman, Christmas, and Fair might... No number one recruit wants to come to a school with any risk of being a bench player, yet the experienced and talented players listed might be able to prevent them from starting immediately, which is as much as saying they will keep Johnson or Wiggins from coming to Syracuse.

However, if we have a great season this season, it seems reasonable to think that several of our players will enter the draft.

If either of Coleman or Christmas leave, that opens up a starting role for Johnson immediately. If Fair leaves, it opens up a starting role for Wiggins immediately.

This is why both will commit in the spring after all the early draft entries are determined.

If we get neither of them, we will still be just fine, if we get either, we will be golden. One can dream about getting both!

Of course, if Coleman, Christmas, MCW and Fair all play well enough to go pro, we have plenty to be happy about already, no matter who decides to commit in the spring.

I am firmly in the camp saying that we don't need DJ, assuming DC2 stays at SU for a second year. I think a Soph DC2 is > Frosh DJ, because it takes more time for kids to learn the zone. I say it with the caveat that DJ would never be at SU for more than one year. If he stayed for a second year, then it would be beneficial to the program to have him.

The problem with either scenario, is what happens in 2014, if DC2 goes pro/DJ were to go pro. By my calculation, you would have a Senior Rak and a likely RS Frosh Chinoso. Not a bad situation, really. But, what also has a fair possibility of happening is that Rak could also leave early, leaving the starting C to Chinoso. I think Chinoso was a great recruit to get, but I would be quite concerned about this possibility happening, which leads me to my question...

Francis, who is SU looking at in 2014, or 2015 for Center? I know they have had interest in Goodluck in the past, is there still interest? or do they think a RS Frosh Chinoso is a better option than a Frosh Goodluck? Towns looks like he is destined for UK, are their any other top C's SU has had an interest in?

I am firmly in the camp saying that we don't need DJ, assuming DC2 stays at SU for a second year. I think a Soph DC2 is > Frosh DJ, because it takes more time for kids to learn the zone. I say it with the caveat that DJ would never be at SU for more than one year. If he stayed for a second year, then it would be beneficial to the program to have him.

The problem with either scenario, is what happens in 2014, if DC2 goes pro/DJ were to go pro. By my calculation, you would have a Senior Rak and a likely RS Frosh Chinoso. Not a bad situation, really. But, what also has a fair possibility of happening is that Rak could also leave early, leaving the starting C to Chinoso. I think Chinoso was a great recruit to get, but I would be quite concerned about this possibility happening, which leads me to my question...

Francis, who is SU looking at in 2014, or 2015 for Center? I know they have had interest in Goodluck in the past, is there still interest? or do they think a RS Frosh Chinoso is a better option than a Frosh Goodluck? Towns looks like he is destined for UK, are their any other top C's SU has had an interest in?
Some of the bigs I've heard about for 2014
Goodluck
Ben Bentil
Bishop Kearney has a new 6'10 kid name Gods Power(love that name) that I'm sure the staff will keep an eye on.

Chris Egi (AAU teammate of Ennis)
Cheick Diallo(AAU teammate of McCullough)

I'm sure more names will pop up during the high school season.

How can you not go after a player named Gods Power?
Well, most college administrators (outside of religious schools) don't believe in God, so they will see the application as a farce, and he won't be admitted. Many on this board would not believe in this player either, and would try to explain him away. ;)

God's Power vs. God's Gift in the Garden 2014 SU/SJU.

I think in our system we need Gods Power at the 4 more than center... If we could land Apollo Zeus in the '14 class as a reserve, I'd be more comfortable not having to use Gods Power in the middle.

Wiggins will be visiting FSU today and tomorrow (for FSU vs UF game). Also visited 9 Nov.

Wiggins will be visiting FSU today and tomorrow (for FSU vs UF game). Also visited 9 Nov.
cool, better there than UK. Although, if he doesn't care about winning a national championship FSU is the place to be. Leonard Hamilton is a god awful coach. Come to 'Cuse, win a championship, go be Carmelo Anthony's understudy. whatevs mannnnn!

cool, better there than UK. Although, if he doesn't care about winning a national championship FSU is the place to be. Leonard Hamilton is a god awful coach. Come to 'Cuse, win a championship, go be Carmelo Anthony's understudy. whatevs mannnnn!

Went to the FSU vs Mercer b-ball game (which FSU lost) on Sunday. They looked awful. This is the reigning ACC Champs and a pre-season Top 25 team!! They are now 4-3, losing to South Alabama, Minnesota and Mercer. Now on Weds, with Wiggins visiting, they have to play #5 Florida. If they play on Weds like they played on Sunday, it will be a massacre. I have tickets to the FSU vs North Carolina, dook, NC St and BC games as well. YIKES!!

Went to the FSU vs Mercer b-ball game (which FSU lost) on Sunday. They looked awful. This is the reigning ACC Champs and a pre-season Top 25 team!! They are now 4-3, losing to South Alabama, Minnesota and Mercer. Now on Weds, with Wiggins visiting, they have to play #5 Florida. If they play on Weds like they played on Sunday, it will be a massacre. I have tickets to the FSU vs North Carolina, dook, NC St and BC games as well. YIKES!!
I know it was a game they probably shouldn't have lost, but Mercer is a very solid team that won, what I believe is a program record, 27 games. They also won the collegeinsider.com postseason tournament last season and return most of their significant contributors. They are a solid mid major program that will make a run at a NCAA tournament bid this season.

I know it was a game they probably shouldn't have lost, but Mercer is a very solid team that won, what I believe is a program record, 27 games. They also won the collegeinsider.com postseason tournament last season and return most of their significant contributors. They are a solid mid major program that will make a run at a NCAA tournament bid this season.

This Mercer??: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/team/_/id/2382/mercer-bears

Thats the Mercer I'm talking about, they were without there starting pg/team leader for the first five games of the season. They will still win about 22 games and be in the thick of their conference race come March.

Ahhh...still...The defending ACC Champs and Top 25 team should not have lost...especially since Mercer was down their starting pg/team leader...

Ahhh...still...The defending ACC Champs and Top 25 team should not have lost...especially since Mercer was down their starting pg/team leader...
I agree completely if you reread my first post I said they shouldn't have lost, I was just stating that Mercer is not a bad team even though they are from a very small conference.