Annual Army Game | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Annual Army Game

I hated it when Purdue was twisting legs last week. To see Barron do it today was disappointing and really sh$tty.
Agreed, that was bad. That horse collar tackle on Pena way out of bounds was also very dangerous. Both of those plays were ejection worthy level dirty in my opinion.

Their #92 also seemed a bit out of control at times, diving in late.

Agreed, that was bad. That horse collar tackle on Pena way out of bounds was also very dangerous. Both of those plays were ejection worthy level dirty in my opinion.

Their #92 also seemed a bit out of control at times, diving in late.
The Army player who hit his own teammate injuring him badly was really targeting Shrader. So thankful he missed Garrett, who had ducked out of the way but hit his own poor teammate.

I hated it when Purdue was twisting legs last week. To see Barron do it today was disappointing and really sh$tty.
It's how they are taught to tackle. This will be far from the only time you are going to see it. In fact, LeQuint was tackled the same way after that play.

Unfortunately, it looked like Barron added too much mustard to that twist. It was unnecessary, and led to the injury

It's how they are taught to tackle. This will be far from the only time you are going to see it. In fact, LeQuint was tackled the same way after that play.

Unfortunately, it looked like Barron added too much mustard to that twist. It was unnecessary, and led to the injury
It’s the mustard that’s the problem for me

I listened to the Shutdown Fullcast this week and Spencer Hall perfectly described how I felt going into this game in saying “I hope Syracuse enjoys their 5 possessions on Saturday and makes the most of them.” I respect the way Army has to operate but that’s the last team we need to play all the time. I’d rather see UB back on the schedule or the directional MAC schools/UMass/UConn.
A UB series with the away games in the new Bills stadium would be great.

I listened to the Shutdown Fullcast this week and Spencer Hall perfectly described how I felt going into this game in saying “I hope Syracuse enjoys their 5 possessions on Saturday and makes the most of them.” I respect the way Army has to operate but that’s the last team we need to play all the time. I’d rather see UB back on the schedule or the directional MAC schools/UMass/UConn.

I'm so happy when they even mention us. It's such a great pod I wish we were more relevant.

Just like the old days when we used to play against Temple in the Vet. In front of 40,000 empty seats.
Except that Buffalo is close enough for SU fans to drive there for the game and there are a lot of Orange fans in western NY. Have it on a weekend with a Bills game as a package. It really amounts to being another home game.

Except that Buffalo is close enough for SU fans to drive there for the game and there are a lot of Orange fans in western NY. Have it on a weekend with a Bills game as a package. It really amounts to being another home game.
Let’s play Pitt there every year as a neutral field game! Winner gets free wings at Duff’s!!

I wondered the same thing

I think it said first game was 1889 or 1899 and this was only the 22nd meeting, first since 1996.

Cuse up 12-10

Army last win at Cuse was 1986

Amazed we didn't have another 30 games against them
The loss in 86 was actually at Army. I was there.

After today, I wonder why we don't play Army more if not annually. SU has a long standing commitment to the military and has the center right on campus. Two New York State FBS schools who respect each other on and off the field. It can be like the Navy/ Notre Dame yearly game.
What’s the value in doing that now? You can maybe market it as a NYS battle? No one outside of army fan base cares about army, pretty similar for Syracuse honestly. There’s no value to that game other than risking a loss every 5 or so years

As long as they stay independent it makes sense to play them at least 5 times per decade. I'd put them ahead of Uconn for the local cupcake but both make sense and are fine to occasionally play on the road.

You want the flexibility to be able to take games like the Tennessee one so locking in an annual series is too much. Unless something changes and they make a rule where you basically can't play FCS schools anymore and get credit for a win which I could see happening at some point to encourage major programs to schedule lower G5s more often. If that happens you try to immediately lock in Army annually.

But yeah I'd try and sign a contract for another few games soon as possible look forward to catching a game there next fall.

Used to.

Couldn't work them into the schedule last year. Remains to be seen if they will be rejoining us for 2024.
SU did play Army every year in lacrosse for a while til 2022 - always in the Dome. Same style: extremely disciplined, well-coached in fundamentals, don't back down to anyone, don't turn the ball over or commit penalties, wait for SU to make a mistake, hold the ball, get a small lead, and then freeze the fastbreaking college kids out of the game. Army had won 3 of the last 6 lacrosse match ups vs SU. Even when SU won, it was very close or even OT.

Last edited:
Play style potentially. Dino talked about how much ADs hate Army’s play style.
Yeah, I really have zero interest in an annual game with Army. Hate the play style. Hate the deference the officials seem to show them on uncalled holds and late hits. Zero upside (you either win a game you get no credit for because you are supposed to, or you lose I game you never should lose)...

Hard pass.

Syracuse played Army in a football game in 1926 that was pretty famous. Sportswriters called it the ‘Blood on the Plains‘ game.

It was apparently a really physical game with a lot of big hits. Unfortunately a bunch of players on both teams suffered serious injuries. There were issues with the refs. It was a big deal at the time and the uproar was so bad both sides agreed to stop playing for an indefinite period. I think no games were played after that for about 30 years.

Was expecting the PS to write an article on that game from their archives but I don’t think any of their writers know much about football history. Maybe they will pick it up for the game next season.

I could be wrong on this. Remember reading about it in one of the many books on Syracuse football history. Not motivated enough to find them in a box in the basement to see if I am remembering things right. Tried to google it and came up with nothing..

From my series "Who Knew the HooDoo?'

Pete Reynolds’ second Syracuse team was a veteran group with eight seniors manning the eleven starting positions, the best of them being the great Vic Hanson, although Ray Barbuti was showing considerable promise as a halfback. They had lost a wild game at West Point called “The Massacre of the Plains”, 21-27 to Army. Nine Orangemen were hurt and the officials nailed SU with an incredible 300 yards in penalties. SU had three scores called back. Roy Simmons was “prompted to observe dryly, ‘I think we got the business’”. Gotch Carr broke his leg in that game and Ray Barbuti was carried unconscious from the field. Hanson’s opposite number at end, John Archoska, hit an Army end named Trapnell so hard he was carried off the field, “blood squirting off of him”. This incited the crowd and the head referee wanted to call the game. He was talked out of it by the Army coach, Biff Jones, who, because his team was behind, “felt the move might be misinterpreted”. Roy Simmons is quoted in “The Syracuse Football Story” that Jones told him “many times that that was the greatest football team he ever saw take the field”. Charley Lee, Syracuse’ right tackle, said “It was a shame. We had the essentials to be a fine team and perhaps we could have gone undefeated that year. But the team never recovered from the injuries they sustained, both physical and psychological, in The Massacre of the Plains”. Army and Syracuse would certainly seem to be natural rivals but they didn’t play each other for 29 years after this game and have done so only intermittently ever since.

Held on way too long as he rolled around. Guy was already down, let go.
I had to listen to the second half on the radio and the XM feed was the Army radio broadcast. They had no issue with the tackle and just said the guy got twisted up trying to gain a couple extra yards. I’d guess if it was dirty they would have called it out. Maybe not.

I am good not playing them for a while. We lose that game in many years of the past. Tough style of football that seems like an injury waiting to happen. I agree with others let’s play UB yearly.

Now that Army has abandoned the triple option, let's play them all the time
I say play Army with a rotation of Yukon and other 2 academies. 4 Army, 4 Yukon and 2 Navy/Air Force over 10 years.

UB, UMess, Ohio/MI MACs, JMU and Temple should be mostly 1 off buy games or 2 for 1s.