Annual Burning of the Avatars 2022 Style | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Annual Burning of the Avatars 2022 Style

New avatar, other is burned. It's a representation of how I've watched 'Cuse football the past couple of years.

41B261E2-A9AD-46F3-A170-4FC8D477278E.jpeg

I don't normally make predictions, but I'll gamble and make one now: that after the first year in school history in which the football team, the men's basketball team and the men's lacrosse team all had losing records, each one of them will get back on the winning track this year.

In honor of this act of courage, I've changed my avatar to TV's most famous gambler, Bret Maverick.

Prove me wrong Dino.

Last edited:
Prove me wrong Dino.
Now that my inner spirit has woken up, I'm getting rid of this lousy oneders avatar and going with something a bit more positive.

Changed mine to my favorite early poster of a Syracuse football letterman by Mae Goodelle Chaffee.

(There's no 2023 thread so I guess we're using this one.)

Last year I noted that in the 2021-22 school year, for the first time, the SU football, men's basketball and men's lacrosse teams all had losing records in the same school year. I changed my avatar to Bret Maverick, the role James Garner made famous, (and which made him famous), of a gambler in the old west. I said that I don't gambler or even make predictions but that I would not make one: that all three teams in 2022-23 would have winning records. They all did- by the skin of their teeth: 7-6, 17-15 and 8-7. But they did it.

I'm going to make a bolder prediction, on the advice of Bret Maverick's brother Bart, (played by Jack Kelly), that all three teams will finishing the 2023-24 school year ranked in the top 25. Let's see if we can win this hand, too.

Okay. I missed the date. But changing mine tonight.

Given our OL struggles in recent years, and the need for the OL to be solid this year, I’ve gone with SU great John Flannery. Bring some toughness to the group.

Last edited: