Another presser | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Another presser

The last two games. JB noted that also. But as expected, as soon as Joe had a bad game or bad stretch they completely overlook the first 11 games where he was one of the two most consistent players on the team and the trashing begins. Even going so far as saying he’s not a D1 player.
Two questions for you:

1) Are you happy with where this program currently stands?
2) What is your expectation of the Syracuse basketball program and where it should finish year-to-year in the ACC?

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.

Two questions for you:

1) Are you happy with where this program currently stands?
2) What is your expectation of the Syracuse basketball program and where it should finish year-to-year in the ACC?

I'll hang up and listen. Thanks.

1. No
2. Top 1/2 all the time top 1/3 sometimes.

1. No
2. Top 1/2 all the time top 1/3 sometimes.
To expound on question #1 - what is the problem then? And please do not mention probation to me, as that is over and done with.

To expound on your response to #2 - you're OK with 6th or 7th in the ACC every year? I certainly am not, not with a Top 10 budget allocated to Men's Basketball nationally, top 2 in attendance in the country, and top-notch facilities. Those are ridiculously low expectations.

The answer, in my opinion, should be top third of the ACC 4 out of every 5 years, and a top 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament 3 out of every 5 years.

To expound on question #1 - what is the problem then? And please do not mention probation to me, as that is over and done with.

To expound on your response to #2 - you're OK with 6th or 7th in the ACC every year? I certainly am not, not with a Top 10 budget allocated to Men's Basketball nationally, top 2 in attendance in the country, and top-notch facilities. Those are ridiculously low expectations.

The answer, in my opinion, should be top third of the ACC 4 out of every 5 years, and a top 5 seed in the NCAA Tournament 3 out of every 5 years.

1. We don’t get as good of players as we used too.

2. I didn’t say 6th or 7th every year. That’s you saying top 1/2 is only 6th or 7th. There’s 1,2,3,4,5 also.

Agreed. The 2006-2013 Big East was tougher than the ACC is now, and we won the league twice in that run. If freakin Virginia, Baylor, and Villanova can win it all, our expectations should be the same.

Last edited:

2. I didn’t say 6th or 7th every year. That’s you saying top 1/2 is only 6th or 7th. There’s 1,2,3,4,5 also.
We have finished Top 5 in the ACC exactly once in seven years (and soon to be eight years) - our first year.

Why don't we get as good of players as we used to? Who is responsible for recruiting the players we have on this roster? That were hand picked?

We have finished Top 5 in the ACC exactly once in seven years (and soon to be eight years) - our first year.

Why don't we get as good of players as we used to? Who is responsible for recruiting the players we have on this roster? That were hand picked?
We all know why recruiting dropped off. The problem is that it is what it is unless we upgrade our assistants or when Boeheim steps aside.

My biggest fear is that he’s going to do it right before a season starts, forcing wildhack to give the job on an interim basis to a current assistant. Jim’s a smart guy but he’s stubborn and he’s going to do what he wants.

Maybe because we can’t cheat anymore? Just a thought!

We all know why recruiting dropped off. The problem is that it is what it is unless we upgrade our assistants or when
steps aside.

My biggest fear is that he’s going to do it right before a season starts, forcing wildhack to give the job on an interim basis to a current assistant. Jim’s a smart guy but he’s stubborn and he’s going to do what he wants.
You’re correct. It’s going to be August and he will realize he doesn’t want to coach anymore.

Agreed. The 2006-2013 Big East was tougher than the ACC is now, and we won the league twice in that run. If freakin Virginia and Villanova can win it all, our expectations should be the same.
If you take cupcakes out of our schedule since 2014 we are 86-88 against ACC teams/P6 nonconferences+SDSU/Houston.

It’s just what the numbers show.
We are .500 against peer competition.
I didn’t include Buffalo and St. Bonnies because we are better than them.

It’s just the numbers show we have become a middle of the road team in the regular season.

Now the postseason we have won some games but you can’t win it all when you aren’t good enough to win 6 games which we haven’t been since 2013.

The last two games. JB noted that also. But as expected, as soon as Joe had a bad game or bad stretch they completely overlook the first 11 games where he was one of the two most consistent players on the team and the trashing begins. Even going so far as saying he’s not a D1 player.
A couple of points.

Joe is not a good point guard. His physical limitations ( lack if height, length, foot speed, and quickness) combined with his weak handle make him ill suited to play the 1.
Joe is an excellent shooter who is a natural 2. He should be moving without the Ball, being run through screens ( Cooney like) hunting for shots. He should not be initiating the offense. He isnt an ACC caliber PG. D1 player yes, 2 yes, good 6th man yes. Starting ACC pg. No way

As to Jims press conference after watching it 3 times i actually think that Jim did a good job.
He wasn't overly critical of any player. He was honest and factual. He knows what his teams strengths and weaknesses are and i doubt any coach could do better.
Yes he should have played Symir more ( i expect him to get more pt Starting next game) but that isnt what lost the game. Bottom line i felt JB was spot on.

This team has 3 issues that are hurting us.
1: Benny being farther behind than anticipated .
2: Cole not shooting well.
3: Joes inability to beat pressure.

If even 1 of these 3 get fixed we have a chance of turning things around.

If none improve we will be 500 give or take a few wins.

If you told me before the season that Benny wasn’t going to be a major contributor I would have said we would be very average. I thought he would bring something that no one else on the team could bring.

Joe is absolutely D1, anyone sugggesting otherwise doesn’t know what they are taking about.

He would be a great mid major, A10 level PG.

he’s a great microwave type player for any good team out there in any conference at any level.

But when people analyze whether he’s has good games, they look at his points and offense. Ignoring that his defense is simply abysmal as a high level. So when he has bad games on offense like yesterday, he’s literally a negative yet he wouldn’t come off the floor.

Joe is absolutely D1, anyone sugggesting otherwise doesn’t know what they are taking about.

He would be a great mid major, A10 level PG.

he’s a great microwave type player for any good team out there in any conference at any level.

But when people analyze whether he’s has good games, they look at his points and offense. Ignoring that his defense is simply abysmal as a high level. So when he has bad games on offense like yesterday, he’s literally a negative yet he wouldn’t come off the floor.
He’s also a streaky guy who runs hot and cold, whose emotions can carry him to higher highs…or he can be a complete headcase and get his shot blocked while taking 72 seconds to shoot after a head fake and then double clutch on a game tying three.

Perfect 6th man material if things were normal here.

For me i expect us to to be top 5 each year. Maybe we drop as low as 7-8 once in a blue moon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom