Any rumblings about our last assistant coach spot? | Syracusefan.com

Any rumblings about our last assistant coach spot?

JrodCuse

All Conference
I thought for sure we would have started hearing names by now with all but 4 teams seasons being over. I keep waiting to hear something regarding this and its super quiet on that front.

I thought for sure we would have started hearing names by now with all but 4 teams seasons being over. I keep waiting to hear something regarding this and its super quiet on that front.
Allen Griffin has been rumored.

Considering that Hop was one of the most highly compensated asst coaches in D1, his departure does free up some coin for a solid hire.

We have told the 5 star kids in the 2018 class that the first one to commit to SU can chose their Dad to be the 3rd assistant.

FIFY. :p

Well Oregon is still playing and they have an assistant coach that would look good in Orange

Is this like an actual rumor or a joke or what? Who works for Oregon that's connected to us?

Is this like an actual rumor or a joke or what? Who works for Oregon that's connected to us?
No one has been connected to anyone as far as I know, but Mike Mennenga is on their staff and he has some deep WNY connections and is pretty handy with the Toronto/Canada talent pipeline. There's no smoke, but everything is in place to start a fire if they were to go that direction, IMO.

I would hope it's not Allen Griffin.

If GMac left he would have made sense if we had 2 openings.

Griffin to me is the status quo. At this point we need an upgrade and somebody who is a splashy hire.

Somebody who can recruit and can take over the bigs.

Orlando Antigua do it JB.

Griffin to me is the status quo. At this point we need an upgrade and somebody who is a splashy hire.

Griffin can recruit...he'll be that much stronger of a recruiter when he is recruiting for a name like Syracuse with the tradition and facilities we have.

Funny that you mention that movie. My top choice for assistant is Barry "Slice" Rohrssen, who in addition to being a great recruiter, did a little acting. One of his movies is Glengarry Glen Ross:

View attachment 93688

That settles it. It is meant to be. Someone get Slice on the phone, now! We need to close on him.

Still limited to two coaches on the road. Nothing going on on campus. Why hire until you have something for the fourth coach to do?

You want JB to forfeit another 100 games with someone like him on your staff.

Griffin can recruit...he'll be that much stronger of a recruiter when he is recruiting for a name like Syracuse with the tradition and facilities we have.
I got into this when I looked at Archie Miller. His recruiting classes were nothing special.
Their top PG was a 3 star kid Wright who they got over Memphis, Xavier and Minnesota.

We have no clue if Griffin can recruit. Maybe he's better than GMac but that's saying much.we just saved a lot of money moving on from Hopkins as assistant. This hire has to be a splash. Hopkins was our best recruiter. We can't have Griffin on the job training like we have GMAC in big boy recruiting. Autry is the real deal.

If all JB does is swap Hopkins for Griffin then I don't have any confidence it's going to be any better soon.

You want JB to forfeit another 100 games with someone like him on your staff.
How many games at Kentucky has Calipari lost?
I want a rainmaker.

Still limited to two coaches on the road. Nothing going on on campus. Why hire until you have something for the fourth coach to do?
That expires at the end of the May.

"Reduction in the number of permissible off-campus recruiters from four to two during June 1, 2015 through May 31, 2017."

This summer we will have the whole staff available to recruit.

That expires at the end of the May.

"Reduction in the number of permissible off-campus recruiters from four to two during June 1, 2015 through May 31, 2017."

This summer we will have the whole staff available to recruit.
Yes. So I expect a hire announcement in early May giving the newbie time to come up to speed before hitting the road for the summer circuit. Naming Red associate head coach took some pressure off. I do not anticipate a high profile hire here. Probably someone within the Boeheim tree or affiliated with someone from USA Basketball.

That expires at the end of the May
That and the telephone can be your friend. Louisville was using skype to keep in contact with their recruits under their self-imposed sanctions.

How many games at Kentucky has Calipari lost?
I want a rainmaker.
How much has cheated but hasn't got caught yet till he leaves. Pass on that one.

How much has cheated but hasn't got caught yet till he leaves. Pass on that one.
Calipari and Kentucky hired the former compliance director of the NCAA because by buying her services they are insulated and will never be investigated by the NCAA because one of their own is in charge of Kentucky compliance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom