Any rumblings about our last assistant coach spot? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Any rumblings about our last assistant coach spot?

No one has been connected to anyone as far as I know, but Mike Mennenga is on their staff and he has some deep WNY connections and is pretty handy with the Toronto/Canada talent pipeline. There's no smoke, but everything is in place to start a fire if they were to go that direction, IMO.

Not sure why anyone thinks Mike Mennenga would leave Oregon to come to Syracuse? Even if we were interested, I think it would be unrealistic to assume he views coming here as our #2/#3 assistant as a better opportunity. Not sure he'd even consider it. Proximity to Canada doesn't matter nor the fact that he's a CNY guy. Recruiting budget from Nike and the fact that he's already built the fence around his Canadian relationships makes location a non factor for him from a recruiting perspective. Most of the good Canadian talent is exported to the United States for high school anyways or they play at Athlete Institute where his relationships are the strongest of any assistant in America. So unless his wife is just dying to leave beautiful Eugene Oregon to return home to CNY, it makes no sense for him.

Last edited:
Should have said coaching staff ... and it is oddly enough a true statement if you believe the Athletics Department website for the team (listed at bottom of page are coaches):

Syracuse University Athletics - 2016-17 Men's Basketball Roster

Guess we're not alone.
Men's Basketball - Coaches - Duke University Blue Devils | Official Athletics Site - GoDuke.com

And UNC's staff either are UNC grads or worked/played for Roy Williams at Kansas
Men's Basketball - Coaches - University of North Carolina Tar Heels Official Athletic Site

Duke recruits for itself. Syracuse has to put forth an effort to recruit.
When was the last time Syracuse recruited Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum in one class?
Or Justice Winslow, Tyus Jones, and Jahlil Okafor in one class?

Duke can have an alumni staff as they select what recruits they want.

Syracuse has to recruit against peer schools and work hard.

We lost our best recruiter. Atleast Autry has shown he can recruit. GMac did not do the job when he went against the big boys. Now if we add Griffin we still won't have a big man coach and its going to be up to JB giving an effort he hasn't given in a while for recruiting to be okay.

This is why people want an outsider who can recruit as the next assistant.

Not sure why anyone thinks Mike Mennenga would leave Oregon to come to Syracuse? Even if we were interested, I think it would be unrealistic to assume he views coming here as our #2/#3 assistant as a better opportunity. Not sure he'd even consider it. Proximity to Canada doesn't matter nor the fact that he's a CNY guy. Recruiting budget from Nike and the fact that he's already built the fence around his Canadian relationships makes location a non factor for him from a recruiting perspective. Most of the good Canadian talent is exported to the United States for high school anyways or they play at Athlete Institute where his relationships are the strongest of any assistant in America. So unless his wife is just dying to leave beautiful Eugene Oregon to return home to CNY, it makes no sense for him.

I agree, the only way you get Mike Mennenga is if Altman get the HC job at SU when JB retires. Which to me is unlikely, as it would be a lateral move from Oregon to SU given their recent success. On top of that, MM has a young family that has just gotten settled in Eugene.

Duke recruits for itself. Syracuse has to put forth an effort to recruit.
When was the last time Syracuse recruited Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum in one class?
Or Justice Winslow, Tyus Jones, and Jahlil Okafor in one class?

Duke can have an alumni staff as they select what recruits they want.

Syracuse has to recruit against peer schools and work hard.

We lost our best recruiter. Atleast Autry has shown he can recruit. GMac did not do the job when he went against the big boys. Now if we add Griffin we still won't have a big man coach and its going to be up to JB giving an effort he hasn't given in a while for recruiting to be okay.

This is why people want an outsider who can recruit as the next assistant.
Duke has 4 assistants, maybe we should go that route? Get the recruiter and get the big man coach? JB has been making roughly $5M less per season than K (based on 2016 #'s) and I believe our programs generate similar revenues, so maybe spend a little more on adding assistant depth?

Duke has 4 assistants, maybe we should go that route? Get the recruiter and get the big man coach? JB has been making roughly $5M less per season than K (based on 2016 #'s) and I believe our programs generate similar revenues, so maybe spend a little more on adding assistant depth?

You can only have three assistants. We have Devendorf, who I'm sure functions as a de facto assistant, as GMAC did before he replaced Bernie Fine, and Lazarus Sims before that.

You can only have three assistants. We have Devendorf, who I'm sure functions as a de facto assistant, as GMAC did before he replaced Bernie Fine, and Lazarus Sims before that.
I didn't realize Duke's Nolan Smith wasn't officially an assistant coach, so I take back everything I said about a 4th asst.

Is this like an actual rumor or a joke or what? Who works for Oregon that's connected to us?
Wouldn't top assistants on a FF team be more in line for a mid-major HC job than 2nd or 3rd assistant's job? It seems more of a lateral move at best.

I do have a question. Would SU bring in an assistant that would be in line as HC ahead of Autry? I know that they have promoted Red to assistant head coach, but does that in theory put him in line for HC?

How much zone teaching did Troy Weaver do? He got us Melo. I'll take that any day. Let Red & GMac teach the zone. We need a rainmaker if we want to compete with UNC and Ville. I don't like finishing 8th.
We weren't exclusively a zone team when Weaver was at SU.

Antigua without the UK/Calipari machine is a tiger with no teeth.

I am hoping for Munch Williams or Mennenga from Oregon. I do like Griffin a lot but wish he was on the staff in place of GMac as opposed to both of them on there.
I agree regarding Antigua. I'm not sure how good he is without Cal and UK. I would love Munch Williams but I just can't imagine JAB going in that direction.

It would only make sense if he wants to be a head coach on the east coast.

That would be a waste of a spot as Autry has great Canadian relationships and has been successful at signing Canadians.

Does Griffin have NYC connections still? He's from BK, so I wonder if he'd have pull with the NY Rens and PSA Cardinals?

Seems odd that Griff hasn't been told anything by Miller yet. Is Archie looking to upgrade his assistants with the move? Hmmm.

Seems odd that Griff hasn't been told anything by Miller yet. Is Archie looking to upgrade his assistants with the move? Hmmm.

Or is Miller wanting confirmation that Allen won't leave for SU before publicly announcing bringing him to IU?

Bet if Hop had anything to do over it would probably be not publicizing who he wanted as his assistants.

It will happen soon. I just flew into Phoenix. There are basketball people everywhere. Mark Turgeon was on my flight along with a bunch of other basketball types. I rode the car rental shuttle with Bryant Stith and others from ODU and other schools.

Still no hiring and we have only heard one possible hire.

I hope it isn't the only guy who we have heard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom