Anyone apathetic? | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone apathetic?

As a kid, my first favorite basketball players were Sherman Douglas, Billy Owens, and Magic Johnson. I like great passing.

I’m struggling to think of the good passers we’ve had in recent years, let alone the great ones. Those rare fast breaks that we actually run where we don’t score, or only score because Tyus is really athletic and good at scoring with a guy all over him are a hard watch for a guy who grew up on Sherman and Magic running the break.

MCW led the league in assists.
But we’ve been pretty meh since.

Ennis tried some ooops to Rak and others, and then realized those guys couldn’t finish, so we stopped running.

But yeah, I also really miss us running the break to perfection with a guy like Sherm making it all go.

As a kid, my first favorite basketball players were Sherman Douglas, Billy Owens, and Magic Johnson. I like great passing.

I’m struggling to think of the good passers we’ve had in recent years, let alone the great ones. Those rare fast breaks that we actually run where we don’t score, or only score because Tyus is really athletic and good at scoring with a guy all over him are a hard watch for a guy who grew up on Sherman and Magic running the break.

Is that REALLY better than watching a desperation press though?

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED

Ennis tried some ooops to Rak and others, and then realized those guys couldn’t finish, so we stopped running.

But yeah, I also really miss us running the break to perfection with a guy like Sherm making it all go.

Yup! Loved MCW’s passing. I was so high on him early in that season that I was calling him our “best player since Carmelo”.

He struggled with his shot as the year went on and was loose with the ball sometimes and did that frustrating telegraphed jump pass for a turnover thing too often, but overall I enjoyed him a lot. The court vision and willingness to give it up was there.

Ennis was a solid passer. Nothing flashy, but effective. I like Marek. Struggling to think of anyone else? Lydon for a post was fine.

I don't recall Rak missing oops. You sure you aren't thing of Baye?

Also, while Sherman was the gold standard, those teams with Autry, Michael Lloyd, even Hart could get out and go.

Those GMac and Devendorf and Flynn teams could run the break, adding the new threat of the pass back to the 3 point shooter for a 3 off a break.

Wes and Dion teams were lethal.

I miss it so much.

I find pounding the ball and/or passing it around the perimeter until there are 7 seconds left to be boring basketball.
No press, little running, little energy. Play like the middle of FSU and I will watch with enthusiasm.

Or play like that did at duke. You know, with some sense of urgency. At least for a half

I hate to admit this but I just don't care about this season.

CBB is losing its luster anyway given March Madness being the "end all be all" and zero familiarity with name players in the one and done/two and though era.

I didn't even watch the UVA game (uh, was it even on tv? I looked for a minute, couldn't find it, gave up and went out).

I've never been like this towards Cuse BBall in my life, but lately, I'm just bored. Bored with the stagnant offense. Bored with the zone defense. Bored of irrelevancy.

I really, really hope we're back next year because I'm entering Cuse Football level apathy.

I don't know if it's Syracuse, CBB in general, or both, because I never watch any other CBB games anymore. I watch non-Cuse CFB, along with the NBA and NFL but CBB.. meh.

To borrow the tree falling in the woods analogy, I just feel like if you have a CBB program and don't make the NCAAT, does it even exist?
My apathy has been growing for years and years. I don't know if that's a product of age (51), or if it's a function of the lack of 'consistent high stakes' or somesuch—as we just aren't at the same level of excellence, and playing with recruits at the highest level, and because our style of play is less conducive t excitement. Some combination of all of the above, likely. But, as i've suggested in the past, i wonder if we al have differing expectations based on whenever we 'joined up' to the Orange wagon. I started in 85, and we had Pearl, and Sherm was a backup. The next year, we had DC and beat Carolina to go to the final four, and then the Champeenship. We then signed the co-No1 recruit in Billy Owens... Stakes were high. We were a showtime team. It was thrilling.

That all said, i still do not miss a single game, and i watch every minute. My commitment hasn't waned, but i absolutely do not get stomachsick with any loss, and the wins are taken in much the same way on the other end—with very little satisfaction. It's as if the emotion quotient has been put through a compressor (audio reference): no highs, no lows.

we still get 26,000 for a game against lowly BC...so wildhacks hands are tied. Unless we go NIT this year and next we are stuck with the status quo until buddy graduates.

We have an outstanding passer on the team right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom