Anyone have 495 bucks | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone have 495 bucks

They make a difference for me...mainly in the traction and fit.

I can't be sliding all over the place. Some shoes have better grips than others. The fit of the shoe really matters too. Nothing worse than feeling that shoe slip up and down on your heel, or feeling your feet slide a little bit side to side when you stop hard. If those two things are right, then the shoe is good to me.

Personal preference: I like lighter and lower shoes. If they're too high or boot like, I feel restricted and slower. More of a comfort thing. I prefer to forget I even have the shoe on. Other people feel more supported and protected with higher or bulkier shoes. I think that's all in personal preference.

At the end of the day, shoes don't make you better...but a bad shoe can make you play worse, IMO. You've gotta be able to stop on a dime when needed, and gotta be comfortable.

I played HS ball back in the mid 80s. I remember we would wear two pairs of socks, but after a while, it still felt like you were sliding around in the shoes. The biggest technology change for me, and I played just this past Tuesday night, is the socks. I wear good hoops socks now and they are the difference.

As for the shoes, currently wearing these D Rose from a few years ago. I'm currently honoring a Nike ban I started many years ago. And I hate spending too much money on overrated nonsense.

images

I played HS ball back in the mid 80s. I remember we would wear two pairs of socks, but after a while, it still felt like you were sliding around in the shoes. The biggest technology change for me, and I played just this past Tuesday night, is the socks. I wear good hoops socks now and they are the difference.

As for the shoes, currently wearing these D Rose from a few years ago. I'm currently honoring a Nike ban I started many years ago. And I hate spending too much money on overrated nonsense.

images

Agreed on the socks. Some of these new options are much better than regular socks.

I don't find much difference in the shoes now vs. high school, except for the break in time/durability. The leather shoes back in the day would take a lot longer to break in. New shoes could be brutal to play in for a few weeks, but would also last longer. The meshes and wovens and knits that are popular now need almost zero break in time, but they also seem to wear out quicker.

Every Adidas pair I've tried leaves too much space above the toes for my liking. Nike usually does a better job in that regard, and the overall fit of the shoes tends to be better for my feet at least. I've got the Kobe 11 right now and I love it due to the fit, the lightness, and the way it grips the floor.

Another thing that matters to me now is the cushioning. Some of the less cushioned shoes...I'll really feel it in my feet and knees after playing and usually the next day too. Shoes with more cushioning tend to make me feel a little slower but I also feel a lot better after. The cushioning didn't mean a thing to me in high school and the few years after. I could play for hours on blacktop with old, worn out shoes and not even feel an ache after.

Last edited:
When I played basketball back in the day, basketball shoes were pretty good on the ankles compared to low tops but still needed them taped or wrapped up regardless. But in all honesty I could jump higher with skateboarding shoes.

I'm sure somebody will attack this post but I've played a TON of basketball in my time, shoes never made any difference in my game at least.
I suppose the next thing you're going to tell me is that I won't be just like Mike by drinking Gatorade. Thanks for raining on all my parades. ;)

If you buy those you may be able to recoup some of the cost through reduced admission to events because they'll charge you senior citizen admission since you're wearing what looks like the walking shoes seniors like to wear.

Someone on our board wondered if there was a Kardashian available for him to marry.
Well, there is someone in that family just about healed up and ready to go

And looking at it again, that's a pretty blatant copy of the typical Nike Kobe silhouette. Throw a swoosh on that, and tell me it's the new Kobe and I'd believe it.

That was where my mind went right away as well - seems like he picked a pair of those, and then just worked backward to remove some stuff, and then add enough to make himself think he designed something. Kind of the way college kids plagiarize without REALLY plagiarizing. I mean, it's fine, sneakers all sort of look similar, but for $495, I shouldn't be having that thought as an initial impression. You should be changing the game...

The ultimate put-down of all this would be for Ball to go undrafted and end up in the D League or overseas.

Last edited:
When I played basketball back in the day, basketball shoes were pretty good on the ankles compared to low tops but still needed them taped or wrapped up regardless. But in all honesty I could jump higher with skateboarding shoes.

I'm sure somebody will attack this post but I've played a TON of basketball in my time, shoes never made any difference in my game at least.
Vans

Are you sure??

hqdefault.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom