Anyone have a link for that Axe Boeheim interview? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone have a link for that Axe Boeheim interview?

Good interview. JB with a solid explanation of the switch to Joe. Said there is little to no separation between the PGs. Axe handled it well. Held his position, was professional, tried to keep the interview moving forward.

As a veteran journalist I can tell you with certainty that Axe is ecstatic about that interview. He poked JB just enough to get him to provide details that he likely wouldn't have disclosed in another interview. The reason he continued to push JB on the short leash thing was to see what else he might reveal. And, in fact, there was more. That's Axe's job and he did it quite well. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether ppl think he's an a**hat or a tool or a dbag or whatever, it has everything to do with his interview skills to draw JB out with new information.
Sounded to me like Brent was embarrassed and defensive.

I have read 5 times now and JAB said Jalen was the reason they were down 1-9 when he left the game.

In reality, if you watch the condensed game on youtube, at 14:10 JG3 is already in, the score is 1-6 and Colgate hits a 3 over Buddy. I know Jalen isn't playing well right now, but he was only -5 against Colgate...

I was too young to see what Brent was saying to coach P so I have no clue, but I actually enjoy listening to Brent now and think for the most part he has pretty level headed thoughts and explanations. Now, I agree with Boeheim here - Brent is spewing the short leash analogy and it’s false.

What has Carey done to make this team better when he is on the court I would like to know? I’m talking facts not potential.

JAB has seen plenty to pull him.

Now for Brent - he did his job even if you don’t like what he said. He is in media where you need sound bites and content. He clearly kept trying to poke at JAB because he knew that got him worked up. Brent did his job and I liked the interview. It wasn’t the same old coach speak it was an actually disagreement and I enjoyed hearing both parties. This is sports media people don’t take it so seriously sheesh.

I have read 5 times now and JAB said Jalen was the reason they were down 1-9 when he left the game.

In reality, if you watch the condensed game on youtube, at 14:10 JG3 is already in, the score is 1-6 and Colgate hits a 3 over Buddy. I know Jalen isn't playing well right now, but he was only -5 against Colgate...

One could argue he is embellishing to prove a point.

Or one could argue that if he is going to publicly criticize a player to defend his coaching strategies, he should be accurate with his information.

I was too young to see what Brent was saying to coach P so I have no clue, but I actually enjoy listening to Brent now and think for the most part he has pretty level headed thoughts and explanations. Now, I agree with Boeheim here - Brent is spewing the short leash analogy and it’s false.

What has Carey done to make this team better when he is on the court I would like to know? I’m talking facts not potential.

JAB has seen plenty to pull him.

Now for Brent - he did his job even if you don’t like what he said. He is in media where you need sound bites and content. He clearly kept trying to poke at JAB because he knew that got him worked up. Brent did his job and I liked the interview. It wasn’t the same old coach speak it was an actually disagreement and I enjoyed hearing both parties. This is sports media people don’t take it so seriously sheesh.

I agree with your take on the interview and think Brent has grown from his Coach P days. I doubt he'd last as long as he has in the local sports media scene if he maintained the immature clownish behavior he exhibited 15-17 years ago.

Danny Parkins didn't launch his career by behaving like a douche when he was on local sports radio and he's become pretty successful.

I've already wasted too many kilobytes on Brent Axe but I will always enjoy listening to him get slapped around by actual sports experts.

As a veteran journalist I can tell you with certainty that Axe is ecstatic about that interview. He poked JB just enough to get him to provide details that he likely wouldn't have disclosed in another interview. The reason he continued to push JB on the short leash thing was to see what else he might reveal. And, in fact, there was more. That's Axe's job and he did it quite well. It has absolutely nothing to do with whether ppl think he's an a**hat or a tool or a dbag or whatever, it has everything to do with his interview skills to draw JB out with new information.

What information did he pull out of Boeheim? That Carey played poorly? From my perspective, no information came out and the whole thing was terrible to listen to because Brent wouldn't drop a dumb argument about semantics.

Sounded to me like Brent was embarrassed and defensive.

Had he agreed with JB, the interview is effectively over. But by continuing to disagree he gets JB to talk more. It's a professional move and a good one.

What information did he pull out of Boeheim? That Carey played poorly? From my perspective, no information came out and the whole thing was terrible to listen to because Brent wouldn't drop a dumb argument about semantics.
All Axe wants to do is create buzz and brand for himself. He isn’t a journalist doing journalism.
He cares about clicks and listeners/eyeballs he doesn’t care how.
I really don’t care because what Axe did is what the Boston sports radio scene does.
Tries to make themselves and their interview part of the story.
This will make Axe more polarizing in Syracuse and he will get angry callers/listeners who will want to fight back. He wins.

It's because he didn't drop his argument that JB explained how he thinks about substituting and how players move in and out of the rotation. He's long been criticized for Boeheiming players. This is the first time he actually elaborated on how and why that's wrong. Had Axe agreed with him, there's no conversation at all.

All Axe wants to do is create buzz and brand for himself. He isn’t a journalist doing journalism.
I really don’t care because what Axe is what the Boston sports radio scene does.
This will make Axe more polarizing in Syracuse and he will get angry callers/listeners who will want to fight back. He wins.
Wrong

It's because he didn't drop his argument that JB explained how he thinks about substituting and how players move in and out of the rotation. He's long been criticized for Boeheiming players. This is the first time he actually elaborated on how and why that's wrong. Had Axe agreed with him, there's no conversation at all.

Boeheim literally explains that hundreds of times every season without anybody needing to be a childish jerk to him.

Wrong
I have been hard on our offense and frustrated at JB I wouldn’t ask him why he has a short leash for a player he gave over 5 minutes to before taking out.
JB has taken starters out after 30 seconds in the past.
Carey didn’t have a short leash.
He had over 5.5 minutes and we didn’t score a single basket. The adjustment turned the game around.
The question was intended to push buttons and then the interviewer wanted to troll because he knew he had a frustrated guest who doesn’t have a filter.

I don’t blame Axe for trolling. It helps his brand and show.
He doesn’t care if people hate listen or listen for sports talk. He wants ratings.
His question was just wrong this time because Carey was given time to play and we were down 9-1.
Carey didn’t have a quick hook he was given plenty of time and JB adjusted.

Boeheim literally explains that hundreds of times every season without anybody needing to be a childish jerk to him.
Name me one other time he's explained his thinking on quickly pulling players. He's talked about playing seven, he's talked about guys making mistakes but when has he ever pushed back to defend himself against having a short leash? Carey was just an example of the bigger story.

I don’t blame Axe for trolling. It helps his brand and show.
He doesn’t care if people hate listen or listen for sports talk. He wants ratings.
His question was just wrong this time because Carey was given time to play and we were down 9-1.
Carey didn’t have a quick hook he was given plenty of time and JB adjusted.
Carey was an example of the story not the whole story. Carey was terrible and should have come out but how Axe got into the story using Carey as a lead in was smart.

I really don’t care because what Axe did is what the Boston sports radio scene does.
Agreed. It was very Shaughnessy IMO

I have been hard on our offense and frustrated at JB I wouldn’t ask him why he has a short leash for a player he gave over 5 minutes to before taking out.
JB has taken starters out after 30 seconds in the past.
Carey didn’t have a short leash.
He had over 5.5 minutes and we didn’t score a single basket. The adjustment turned the game around.
The question was intended to push buttons and then the interviewer wanted to troll because he knew he had a frustrated guest who doesn’t have a filter.
To me, the crux of the story is not that Jalen Carey got pulled 5-6 minutes into the game, trailing 6-1. That makes ton of sense. Good coaching. Girard did play better and it appears to have sparked the team.

The story is/was that Jalen did not get back in the game and was proactively demoted in a press conference.

This comes from a very pro JAB poster, but it appears that JAB shamed Jalen for his (poor) play, which includes the Virginia game (when everyone played poorly). I don't love that, nor do I think it is going to be fruitful for Jalen or the team in the future. But, I have not been coaching for 44 years either.

Wasn’t it “prime time” Adam Schein who was as a jerk to P & D? I specifically remember an interview he had with D, and D actually hung up on Adam. It was ugly ( as was the football those last years).

I remember listening to Schein in the fall of 1999 between college and my first real job when I had free time in the afternoon. Don't remember that interview but he was on the P must go squad.

I was still a working stiff when Coach P got fired so I never listened to Brent Axe in those days. I started listening when I retired in 2009 and liked him and his show. He was always very friendly to me when I called in . I have never found him to be a 'troll'. I respect both Brent and Jim. I think it's obvious that Jim has a quick hook for certain players, especially big men. He's said in the past that if he has something to say to a player he wants the guy next to him to hear it. I agree the real story was that Carey didn't come back into the game and that JB announced his demotion in a press conference and Brent very reasonably asked about that. I think the Carey situation has a longer history than just those five minutes in this game and that there is more to it than what we see on the court.

Axe annoys me a lot but I don't think he was out of line in his questions. JB is as sensitive to media criticism as they come. I agree 100% with him demoting Carey, but he gets a wee bit bent out of shape . in case anyone hadn't noticed after 45 years of evidence ;)

Axe annoys me a lot but I don't think he was out of line in his questions. JB is as sensitive to media criticism as they come. I agree 100% with him demoting Carey, but he gets a wee bit bent out of shape . in case anyone hadn't noticed after 45 years of evidence ;)

Well he has to manage the emotions of young competitive men who are use to being told they're great their whole life. It is reasonable to think the media does not make his job easier in this regard. So he needs to fight the narrative that some players are treated differently than others.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom