Anyone have a link for that Axe Boeheim interview? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone have a link for that Axe Boeheim interview?

you meant to say ALL TIME BEST rebounding seasons ever . players get benched on their coaches whim.
he was never "benched"

he took the starting job in his sophomore season and started every game the next 2.5 years

he was pulled & sat sometimes in individual games when he wasn't performing to expectations, but he was always out there next game

Axe is trying to find relevance and if he's his attempts, feeble as they may be, causes JB some angst. Too bad. JB steamrolls local media he deserves an occasional grilling.

nice theory . . . except it didn't happen that way. axe was going for a softball intro, but jb said the hell with that and came right at him. to my ears, axe was back on his heels for the entire time

Ever do an interview for publication or broadcast? I have -- hundreds, if not thousands, of times in the IT industry. If you think JB is confrontational, try interviewing Steve Jobs or Bill Gates after you've written a piece about them. JB is an amateur by comparison. (Gates once yelled directly in my face during an interview after I asked him a question about Windows 3 but he ended up telling me that Microsoft tithed every computer maker that used its operating system, which, at the time no one knew). Interview 101 is to introduce the interview with a softball. Interview 102 is you want your subject to come at you. If your subject comes right at you like JB did, you know there's material on his mind he wants to talk about. You want him to scold you. It's the point. Interview 103 is if you backpedal but keep your point you draw your subject with you, hence more info. Axe has done hundreds of these. He knew what he was doing. It's not personal with him or JB, it's just business.

Ever do an interview for publication or broadcast? I have -- hundreds, if not thousands, of times in the IT industry. If you think JB is confrontational, try interviewing Steve Jobs or Bill Gates after you've written a piece about them. JB is an amateur by comparison. (Gates once yelled directly in my face during an interview after I asked him a question about Windows 3 but he ended up telling me that Microsoft tithed every computer maker that used its operating system, which, at the time no one knew). Interview 101 is to introduce the interview with a softball. Interview 102 is you want your subject to come at you. If your subject comes right at you like JB did, you know there's material on his mind he wants to talk about. You want him to scold you. It's the point. Interview 103 is if you backpedal but keep your point you draw your subject with you, hence more info. Axe has done hundreds of these. He knew what he was doing. It's not personal with him or JB, it's just business.
but he was on his heels the entire interview, he didn't draw anything out, just an elongation of the very same point for the entire allotted length. jb made the point he wanted to make and avoided everything else. he was in complete control. axe was the one who got sucked in, not jb. i think it's hilarious that you think he was the puppeteer here.

i get that you want to defend your fellow journalist (and the profession writ large), but from the listener's point of view, it was a waste of time. there was a lot to hear about the prior night's performances; axe didn't get to ask & we didn't get to hear any of it.

but he was on his heels the entire interview, he didn't draw anything out, just an elongation of the very same point for the entire allotted length. jb made the point he wanted to make and avoided everything else. he was in complete control. axe was the one who got sucked in, not jb. i think it's hilarious that you think he was the puppeteer here.

i get that you want to defend your fellow journalist (and the profession writ large), but from the listener's point of view, it was a waste of time. there was a lot to hear about the prior night's performances; axe didn't get to ask & we didn't get to hear any of it.

You miss the point. An interview isn't a discussion. You look at it as who had the advantage in the conversation and make your conclusion about who's the puppet and who's in control. Trouble is you have no idea what you're talking about.

i think there was a lot to hear about the prior night's performances; axe didn't get to ask & we didn't get to hear any of it.
From an informational standpoint you are correct. From an entertainment standpoint, it was better than the last 10 boeheim/axe convos combined. At this point in my life I’ll take the latter.

Axe is trying to find relevance and if he's his attempts, feeble as they may be, causes JB some angst. Too bad. JB steamrolls local media he deserves an occasional grilling.

Steamrolls?

Well, by inaccurately using the term “quick hook”, Axe had laid himself down in the road in front of the steamroller. And rather than admit he used the term inaccurately, he continued to allow JB to gore him with facts.

The subtext to these interviews, of which I have watched many, is that JB has little respect for these guys as professionals or as intellects. And he has reached a stage in his career here he doesn’t have to suffer stupid questions. (E.g., to the question about Carey, “Did you watch the first 6 minutes of the game?”) He was telling the reporter that this was a stupid question that anyone with even a little understanding of basketball shouldn’t ask. I don’t think JB wanted to rake Carey over the coals in that forum (Although he didn’t mind doing it as part of the “Quick Hook” discussion with Axe.

JB knows, as do all of us, that frequently these questions are not really about eliciting information as much as they are mining for a headline or a punchy story regardless of who gets hurt.

It’s unfortunate that the reporters keep at this. Because JB,unlike 95% of coaches, will answer intelligent questions with substantive answers.

What Axe did elicit —- accidentally—- was that it was possible to get yourself pulled out of a game almost immediately if you do something you have been told not to do or that has been a recent point of emphasis. So from now on when you see a player get pulled very quickly, you know that the player had just done something that he had been told recently and emphatically not to do.

I enjoy reading your opinion on this stuff as I’ve zero media experience.

My only two comments in response to your post are...

1.) I think you give Axe too much credit.

2.) There’s obviously a big difference engaging with tech CEOs and college coaches in a small city like Syracuse.

Thanks for sharing your professional experiences.

You miss the point. An interview isn't a discussion. You look at it as who had the advantage in the conversation and make your conclusion about who's the puppet and who's in control. Trouble is you have no idea what you're talking about.
actually, you were the one who claimed that axe was pulling jb's strings and drawing out additional info. but to my ears it was quite the opposite. jb was in control of what info got out, and it was minimal. a smart interviewer would have surrendered the point and tried to move on, but axe was determined to win the point and wasted ten minutes on it

actually, you were the one who claimed that axe was pulling jb's strings and drawing out additional info. but to my ears it was quite the opposite. jb was in control of what info got out, and it was minimal. a smart interviewer would have surrendered the point and tried to move on, but axe was determined to win the point and wasted ten minutes on it

You were doing okay until you got to the part of what a smart interviewer would do. So, you know this from your vast experience? I'm guessing your conclusions are those of a consumer not someone who's ever constructed an interview. You could reasonably say the interview wasn't of interest to you, as you have, but knowing what a smart interviewer should and shouldn't do, you're in water over your head there. Actually, it's ironic that you're doing the same as what you accuse Axe of doing, intent upon winning a point about which you're uninformed rather than moving on.

You were doing okay until you got to the part of what a smart interviewer would do. So, you know this from your vast experience? I'm guessing your conclusions are those of a consumer not someone who's ever constructed an interview. You could reasonably say the interview wasn't of interest to you, as you have, but knowing what a smart interviewer should and shouldn't do, you're in water over your head there. Actually, it's ironic that you're doing the same as what you accuse Axe of doing, intent upon winning a point about which you're uninformed rather than moving on.
i consult on social science research methodology and have been constructing interview protocols for years. the kind that are designed to draw out even deeply hidden information

obviously, not journalism though

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom