Anyone have a time machine? (Not really a uniform thread. Kinda) | Syracusefan.com

Anyone have a time machine? (Not really a uniform thread. Kinda)

DoubleDee

All American
Not sure how long this board has been a thing. But with all the uniform threads and opinions out there, can we have a discussion of how you all felt about the uni change upon Gross/Grob arrival. The reintroduction Of numerals on helmets, etc. The all orange version from that era need not be mentioned.
Just wanted to see what this thread would look like if it was 2005 all over again.
34345251-BDA3-4692-AE1F-8F67FE79042B.jpeg

The numerical helmets were cool. Hard to look at the shirts in 2018 and give them a fair shake in 2005 (especially the number shadowing). That said, the fruit rolls up on the shoulders are not great.

I think Virginia is looking really sharp lately. I’d love to follow and have the S on one side and the numeral on the other.

Not sure how long this board has been a thing. But with all the uniform threads and opinions out there, can we have a discussion of how you all felt about the uni change upon Gross/Grob arrival. The reintroduction Of numerals on helmets, etc. The all orange version from that era need not be mentioned.
Just wanted to see what this thread would look like if it was 2005 all over again.
View attachment 147346
Everything that was changed was for the worse.

I hate these jerseys, I hate the numbers on the helmets, I hate the arrogance and stupidity of Dr Gross, Nike and everyone else even peripherally involved with this historic abomination.

The only thing worse than what those b*stards did to the uniforms is what they did to the football program.

The Syracuse football uniform is a classic and we need to return to it. And get rid of that stupid block S on the helmet while we are at it.

The numbers on the helmets were cool in a retro kind of way.

I didn't love the unis because I hate that shoulder stripes don't actually go all the way around the shoulders these days, like they used to. They just end, randomly. It's weird.

That being said, I'd dance for joy if they replaced our current unis with these.

Last edited:
I think Virginia is looking really sharp lately. I’d love to follow and have the S on one side and the numeral on the other.

Agreed. Just a simple, classy look. It's not hard at all.

6_8371590.jpg

What I would love
Just get rid of the block S and make the helmet all orange with the blue stripe in the middle but with the 3 colors of helmets I doubt that is going anywhere.
What they can do.
I just want the metallic orange gone from the helmet make it solid orange and then clean up the numerals call it a day.

I hate these jerseys, I hate the numbers on the helmets, I hate the arrogance and stupidity of Dr Gross, Nike and everyone else even peripherally involved with this historic abomination.

The only thing worse than what those b*stards did to the uniforms is what they did to the football program.

The Syracuse football uniform is a classic and we need to return to it. And get rid of that stupid block S on the helmet while we are at it.
How do you really feel?

You must’ve really hated...

31BCEB7C-D185-431D-B6A4-7F90D84425CF.jpeg

How do you really feel?

You must’ve really hated...

View attachment 147351
The first indication of a bad hire is when the new coach decides to throw away 70 years of tradition and wear the worst uniforms in the history of sport. They are even worse than anything Rutgers has worn.

Wasn't a fan of the white pants either. What an arrogant jerk. No wonder everyone hated him except some of his players.

I like the unis we got now a lot better now that we are winning. The numerals still suck and we should always wear orange helmets.

The McNabb era unis get the love because they are associated with winning. I felt the same way about our 2012 uni.

All that being said - a few changes this season and another 8+ win season and I’ll be on board with the next version. Wildhack will get it right.

Agreed x 1000.

I think the consensus is the McNabb era uniforms were the best. Would love to see these with an orange chrome helmet and a slight adjustment to the number shadowing.

The removal of the block S is a tough call. While I agree it looks better without, I recognize the value of marketing the official logo as much as possible. Perhaps they could move it from the helmet to the shoulders ala what ND currently does?

I just hope something changes before next season.

The first indication of a bad hire is when the new coach decides to throw away 70 years of tradition and wear the worst uniforms in the history of sport. They are even worse than anything Rutgers has worn.

Wasn't a fan of the white pants either. What an arrogant jerk. No wonder everyone hated him except some of his players.

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Tomcat.

On a separate note, love your signature block. I’m so used to it, haven’t read it in awhile. Are all those stats still accurate?

I like the unis we got now a lot better now that we are winning. The numerals still suck and we should always wear orange helmets.

The McNabb era unis get the love because they are associated with winning. I felt the same way about our 2012 uni.

All that being said - a few changes this season and another 8+ win season and I’ll be on board with the next version. Wildhack will get it right.
The Marrone-Nassib era uniforms were great. Sadly, we only wore them for a few years.

I could live with the block S on the helmet if the unis went back to a classic form.

Didn't we win our only national title with numbers on the helmets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom