Anyone hear this new stadium rumor | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone hear this new stadium rumor

Which makes it more complicated and presents many more roadblocks

And yet, it is a strong enough rumor that there was an article on it in the paper.

It's also a more potent idea. This is big. Hope it happens.

Too far from campus though?

It's 10 minutes. A lot easier to move the couple thousand students that would go then the 10's of thousand that head up to the hill now.

40,000 for football would be a mistake.

If anything a new football stadium should be expanded to 55,000 to 60,000 for football.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the last time we sold out a game in the Dome was either 1998 Tennessee or 1999 Michigan. Where would the extra fans come from to fill up a 60K stadium?

If the Dome can hold basketball crowds of 34,000+ ... how many basketball seats would be available in a 40,000 seat football stadium? Have to be in the 25,000 range???

However, if the City/County/State/SU/Crunch wanted to partner up on a new 25,000 seat basketball/hockey/concert venue (and leave the Dome for Football & LAX), that might be interesting.
If you are going to build one with a retractable roof you are going to have to make it for both FB and Hoops. As GOSU96 said...the inner harbor area should be looked at...however, rail access is a must IMHO. Also it needs a minimum of 44,444 seats.

Ugh, this is so unnecessary. The Dome is perfect in every way.
The Dome is good enough and really only minor upgrades are needed to keep the place going and viable, but lets be honest the land it is on would be "perfect" for many other projects at the University. They have built up around the Dome so much in the past few years with so many new buildings and such near ESF and that side of the Dome that you know they have big plans if they could take the Dome down to do many other things on that location. Moving that sports complex and upgrading it as well, off campus to another area is a dream for them.

I hope it happens, I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

And yet, it is a strong enough rumor that there was an article on it in the paper.

It's also a more potent idea. This is big. Hope it happens.
The Sub-Standard reports on anything and everything. The fact they did a story based on a "rumor" doesn't give it credence. Sorry. Not exactly the NY Times you got this story from.

It's 10 minutes. A lot easier to move the couple thousand students that would go then the 10's of thousand that head up to the hill now.

This would be a bad move. Here in Minneapolis, the U of M used to play at the Metrodome--10 minutes away from campus via public transportation from some parts of campus, but literally a 10 minute walk from other parts. But students didn't go and barely turned out for most games--it was just too far and too much of an inconvenience.

It's all a matter of perspective. 10 minutes is nothing to adults who already commute to the game. What's the difference between driving to campus or the inner harbor? But it would make all the difference in the world to students.

This would be a bad move. Here in Minneapolis, the U of M used to play at the Metrodome--10 minutes away from campus via public transportation. But students didn't go and barely turned out for most games--it was just too far and too much of an inconvenience.

10 minutes is nothing to adults who already commute to the game. What's the difference between driving to campus or the inner harbor? But it would make all the difference in the world to students.
THIS is very true!

What would happen to all the iconic SU small businesses in and around the campus (Varsity, Manny's, etc.) that rely on revenue from SU games if you put a stadium on South Campus or the Inner Harbor? Wouldn't they inevitably go under?

The thought of having a UConn-esque football atmosphere where we have a depressing stadium in the middle of a big soulless parking lot makes me want to punch myself in the face.

There are times when progressive forward thinking is great (i.e. the move to the ACC) but I think there are other times when you just need to not mess with something that has worked so perfectly for so long. I think this new stadium debate falls in the latter group.

The Dome is good enough and really only minor upgrades are needed to keep the place going and viable, but lets be honest the land it is on would be "perfect" for many other projects at the University. They have built up around the Dome so much in the past few years with so many new buildings and such near ESF and that side of the Dome that you know they have big plans if they could take the Dome down to do many other things on that location. Moving that sports complex and upgrading it as well, off campus to another area is a dream for them.

I hope it happens, I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Agree on both counts. I'd fund a major locker room renovation and continue to spiff up the Dome's interior. Unique venue.

The Sub-Standard reports on anything and everything. The fact they did a story based on a "rumor" doesn't give it credence. Sorry. Not exactly the NY Times you got this story from.

"Sen. John DeFrancisco, R-Syracuse, said he has heard talk about the possibility of a multi-million-dollar facility"

"Gross said. "The thing is, if people work together, who knows what can get done? All I can tell you is that good people have been working very hard on this."

The thing about this that doesn't make sense to me is: we can't even pull together $20M via fundraising for the IPF, but we are supposed to believe that the logistics can be worked out on a new stadium that would conservatively cost $500M, and probably a lot more?

Yes, I get that the state would contribute to funding any new stadium, but it just doesn't make sense numbers wise.

Would definitely help to continue to try and revitalize down there. Like the retractable roof idea. This will really be the only way Syracuse could get something like this done, it sounds like a win-win for everybody. I think 45 is perfect for football. Get it done

If you are going to build one with a retractable roof you are going to have to make it for both FB and Hoops. As GOSU96 said...the inner harbor area should be looked at...however, rail access is a must IMHO. Also it needs a minimum of 44,444 seats.

Rail line runs right past the mall. Same line that Ontrack used.

You have close access to 690 and 81, local surface access from all directions. Not only are the mall lots there, but there is open space for more parking, but there are other lots in the area. Th Amtrack station is on the other side of Park St.

Put it in the open space bounded by Bear, Solar, and Clinton. Still plenty of space in the area to put up a couple of hotels.

One correction, it should seat exactly 44,444.

"Sen. John DeFrancisco, R-Syracuse, said he has heard talk about the possibility of a multi-million-dollar facility"

"Gross said. "The thing is, if people work together, who knows what can get done? All I can tell you is that good people have been working very hard on this."

Bingo. A paper can write whatever they want, but you wouldn't get people to be quoted on the record for something like this if it was BS.

As a corporate flack myself, I find it interesting Gross was allowed to speak but the U chose not to. Well, then again knowing how things work up there, maybe that's not so surprising.

Rail line runs right past the mall. Same line that Ontrack used.

You have close access to 690 and 81, local surface access from all directions. Not only are the mall lots there, but there is open space for more parking, but there are other lots in the area. Th Amtrack station is on the other side of Park St.

Put it in the open space bounded by Bear, Solar, and Clinton. Still plenty of space in the area to put up a couple of hotels.

I think politically, to be able to say you're rehabilitating a declined area like Kennedy Square, that gives Joannie and Cuomo great political ammo vs the Harbor.

All this discussion is great but its just that discussion and in reality a pipe dream. Syracuse just spent how many millions updating the videoboards, adding the wrap around ribbon boards, adding credit cards to each concession area (more expensive then it sounds), and other upgrades and now there going to help finance a new stadium? Also just a refresher for those not local anymore, New York State is broke, Onondaga County is barely treading water and the City of Syracuse is in the worst shape of all three. This isnt happening anytime soon.

Bingo. A paper can write whatever they want, but you wouldn't get people to be quoted on the record for something like this if it was BS.

As a corporate flack myself, I find it interesting Gross was allowed to speak but the U chose not to. Well, then again knowing how things work up there, maybe that's not so surprising.

Yep. Don't know if it comes to fruition but it's obviously not some rag just making up rumors.

What would happen to all the iconic SU small businesses in and around the campus (Varsity, Manny's, etc.) that rely on revenue from SU games if you put a stadium on South Campus or the Inner Harbor? Wouldn't they inevitably go under?

The thought of having a UConn-esque football atmosphere where we have a depressing stadium in the middle of a big soulless parking lot makes me want to punch myself in the face.

There are times when progressive forward thinking is great (i.e. the move to the ACC) but I think there are other times when you just need to not mess with something that has worked so perfectly for so long. I think this new stadium debate falls in the latter group.

In general I agree. But looking at the location, this seems pretty close to the campus. If I have the area right, which is Fayette near University Ave. That's a half mile from the Sheraton. 10 minute walk at a regular pace. So it's not that 30 miles away from campus idea that UConn had.

The end of the Dome would be so utterly depressing, but I'm still intrigued by the idea. Biggest focus is on making the athletic department more attractive to potential players. This could certainly help. Improving the city at the same time would make it a two-fer, especially when it comes to attracting recruits.

I'm interested to hear more.

All this discussion is great but its just that discussion and in reality a pipe dream. Syracuse just spent how many millions updating the videoboards, adding the wrap around ribbon boards, adding credit cards to each concession area (more expensive then it sounds), and other upgrades and now there going to help finance a new stadium? Also just a refresher for those not local anymore, New York State is broke, Onondaga County is barely treading water and the City of Syracuse is in the worst shape of all three. This isnt happening anytime soon.

I think we see it come to fruition sooner rather than later. If Cuomo and the County want to get it done. It will get done. Where there is smoke there is fire.

Yep. Don't know if it comes to fruition but it's obviously not some rag just making up rumors.

Its not a rag making up a rumor but its Gross and the local politicians waxing poetic about what they would love to do in a perfect world, but there is very little chance of any of that ever coming to fruition and thats putting it nicely.