Anyone hear this new stadium rumor | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone hear this new stadium rumor

Haven't been there for a long long time, but have many fond memories of concerts at the old War Memorial. And standing outside in line overnight to get tickets in some cases, with some pretty sketchy folks.

It might have been me. I haven't been inside the War Memorial since the late 1970s. Some people might view me as antiquated too as the WM and I share the same birthday. I retired several years ago. Time for the WM to do the same.

Cities might be building them - it's great political pork, but are they being put to good use? I've heard the Charlotte one is a bit of a bust. Remember Singles? - People love their cars.

The Charlotte Light Rail was a massive success in certain areas, which ended up being a nightmare because people couldn't park anywhere to catch it! The idiots never allowed for enough parki g at the major stops, so people had to drive anyway.

They also couldn't get it passed to head up to the lake, which is where it is certainly needed. Great idea, pretty successful, terrible execution.

She asks a lot of questions to a "prospective tenant" that might be better addressed to the property owner?

Interesting point. I doubt she's making an assumption, she wouldn't be that dumb. Maybe she's fishing for more details, :noidea:

Interesting point. I doubt she's making an assumption, she wouldn't be that dumb. Maybe she's fishing for more details, :noidea:

She's not fishing - she is trying to be disruptive because she can't stand the Governor.

She asks a lot of questions to a "prospective tenant" that might be better addressed to the property owner?

Strange letter.

Is it the University's call if property taxes are levied?

This letter seems to be nothing more than a building block in her long term strategy towards trying to obstruct this.

She's not fishing - she is trying to be disruptive because she can't stand the Governor.

Well if it's state land that they want to build on there's not much she can do about it, but they will need to get city permits to do it. She does bring up good questions though because the city will be responsible for services to and around any new site built within the city proper.

And she's not known for being the most cooperative person, she definitely is a bull head.

I don't blame Miner for wondering if SU will "buy" the property and lease it to a developer- like they have done with the UV and Park Place apartments which are considered SU property and tax-exempt. She also seems to be looking out for the overtime of the SPD for traffic details on game days.

In some of these towns, light rail works a lot like heavy rail does. In others -- D.C. and a few other new ones -- trains run in mixed traffic without dedicated right-of-way. Less useful, of course.

Like all modes of transportation, rail requires government subsidies. OnTrack, from what I understand, was a disaster on a number of levels. One was that it didn't enjoy much public financial support.

I really like light rail in certain applications. It is really a part of the city infrastructure of the future and requires some foresight, which most politicians don't have in great quantities. I remember when they were building the Washington Metro and many politicians thought it was not needed!

A great deal of the rest of the world gets around by train much more than we do. The train from the Hong Kong airport to the city is fabulous and fast. UK train are also convenient and make it easy to get around. The big problem is that in the US you often need a car to get around in once you get to where you are going. Still, the Wash-NYC-Boston trains are the only way to go if you are working.

If NYC had a train directly to LGA and JFK everyone would use it to beat the traffic, I always take the train to NWK from Manhattan and to the Meadowlands.

Pulling a Christie in reverse? Really????? Next thing you know she'll be blocking all the Albany area entrances to the Thruway.:crazy:

Seems like a rehash of the same questions that were asked when the Carrier Dome was built. I believe the agreement that was reached was that the University pays for services on game/event days and is pretty much the reason that there are not a lot of events (ie concerts) other than SU related held there anymore.

Last edited:
In the areas of athletics and entertainment? Jeez, how about jobs and taxes, good grief.

I tried to cut and paste from her letter, but I don't know how to do that from a PDF document. However, in her letter, she did address both jobs and taxes. What's the issue here? If she wasn't asking questions, people would want to lynch her for not providing oversight and due diligence for her constituents. I can understand people maybe being upset at her stance on the issue, but cripes, the woman is only doing her job!

Seems like a rehash of the same questions that were asked when the Carrier Dome was built. I believe the agreement that was reached was that the University pays for services on game/event days and is pretty much the reason that there are not a lot of events (ie concerts) other than SU related held there anymore.

But the proposed site is not on SU's campus. Big difference.

But the proposed site is not on SU's campus. Big difference.

City could probably buy the property back from the State and encourage private development. They have done wonders throughout the city.

This is sounding more and more like a lot of hot noise, been what two days since the rumors really started and already people are backtracking.
Rumors had to have been leaked because of Miner's opposition. This will get done, just a matter of time now.

It may still get done, just not approved to move forward this month. At least that's how I'm reading it. And it was really kind of stupid to have talks about it for a few months to the point where the bow was just about tied and then decide to bring the mayor into the discussion.

I want to be apprised of everything but I'm against the project and won't contribute any $$$$. Well all right then......

That's the kind of letter that drives me nuts. Most are obvious details that will need to be worked out, not dictated from the university to the city. Those are the details, many of which are just not known at the initial stages of a project like this. How about instead of her writing this letter she go and meet with the chancellor and they talk it over for a day so she get get some ideas on where the university thinks they would go if this project gets of the ground? How about she provide input into what she thinks is best as an answer to her own questions? Just go up there and talk to them!!!! The university is your customer!

It may still get done, just not approved to move forward this month. At least that's how I'm reading it. And it was really kind of stupid to have talks about it for a few months to the point where the bow was just about tied and then decide to bring the mayor into the discussion.
How do we know that bow was about to be tied? Sounds to me like this is in concept phase with most details needing to be worked out.

I want to be apprised of everything but I'm against the project and won't contribute any $$$$. Well all right then...

Actually the property owners in the city would be contributing money in the form of providing services to any new development.

Mayor Miner is not known for rolling over and anyone that has worked with her knows that. Pretty stupid to leave her out of the initial discussion. I do agree xc84 though, why not just call a meeting with the new chancellor and get stuff worked out in person?

In the areas of athletics and entertainment? Jeez, how about jobs and taxes, good grief.

Despite every economist on the face of the earth being oppossed to the idea and every independent study ever done demonstrating the folly, the American taxpayer continues to support the building of new stadiums. I think it is a stupid use of scarce public funds. That said, this is probably going to happen so, we might as well make the most of it. For what it is worth, at least this is not to support some billionaire NFL owner holding up the city. The economics might at least amortize the debt properly without further subsidy. We can hope.

http://www.fieldofschemes.com/