Anyone hear this new stadium rumor | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone hear this new stadium rumor

C'mon people, let NASA put it on the Moon. Plenty of SU grads at NASA to make it happen.

On the downside, nobody from Clemson could make it.
Any VATechsters at NASA? If no, count my vote.

Any VATechsters at NASA? If no, count my vote.

I have a woman that I just hired that has a masters from VPI.

We need to grab lunch next time I'm down there. Should be this summer for the Orion PDR.

syracuse.com ‏@syracusedotcom 39s
#Syracuse stadium update: Cuomo, Mahoney to meet today to discuss economic development ideas for state budget http://ow.ly/sGV4R
If the Stadium is part of the plan, I wonder if this means it's headed out of the city and into the 'burbs? Really hope they can work something out that's in the vicinity of the University.

And Mahoney, on the other hand, is part of the Moreland Commission investigating public corruption in the state who recently declared that it isn't the Commission's job to investigate the governor's office.

I think it's time for the new stadium cheerleaders to tamp down their excitement. Mahoney is a strong Cuomo ally despite being a Repub and Miner has gotten under his skin. This is looking more and more like Chris Christie-lite BS.

Last edited:
200 from state plus 100 mil from county as was original deal

Yeah, an earlier article made it clear that county bonds would be part of the financing of the stadium. Now we know how much. Great! At least we all get to pay for it without having any say in where it goes and why. It's like P&C all over again.:rolleyes:

If the stadium is no longer an on-campus facility will that end selling alcohol at games? Seems I remember hearing that the only reason SU games weren't dry is because it's an on-campus facility. Did I dream that?

If the stadium is no longer an on-campus facility will that end selling alcohol at games? Seems I remember hearing that the only reason SU games weren't dry is because it's an on-campus facility. Did I dream that?
That's not accurate. Most on-campus stadiums are dry. It's the schools like SU (an exception) and those that don't play on campus (e.g. USF ) that allow beer. So being off-campus would not limit beer sales by itself.

Actually I thought the alcohol sales had to do with the location of the Dome, isn't it partly on city property? Someone here must know the details on why they can serve booze there. If they were to lease space in an arena I can see the beer sales being denied for SU events. I guess it depends on what the ACC requires.

David Rubin is no stranger to speaking his mind...
@mbreidenbach RT @DavidMarkRubin: @mbreidenbach Mahony's behavior mystifies me. MIner and Syverud rescued us from a disastrous civic decision. Crazy secrecy.2014-01-18

Actually I thought the alcohol sales had to do with the location of the Dome, isn't it partly on city property? Someone here must know the details on why they can serve booze there. If they were to lease space in an arena I can see the beer sales being denied for SU events. I guess it depends on what the ACC requires.
This seems close to what I heard. It was a few years ago & I think drinking was involved :), but maybe because it's University owned & operated?

There is no ACC requirements. SU can sell alcohol at their stadium no matter where it's located.

There is no ACC requirements. SU can sell alcohol at their stadium no matter where it's located.
That's good to know. Now they just need to figure out how to actually manage the beer lines at the craft beer stands. They still don't have that figured out yet.

supp said:
And Mahoney, on the other hand, is part of the Moreland Commission investigating public corruption in the state who recently declared that it isn't the Commission's job to investigate the governor's office. I think it's time for the new stadium cheerleaders to tamp down their excitement. Mahoney is a strong Cuomo ally despite being a Repub and Miner has gotten under his skin. This is looking more and more like Chris Christie-lite BS.
Healthy skepticism goes out the window if a shiny toy is involved

We talked about this in another thread but Miami is off campus and sells booze. WVU is on campus and sells booze. And the ACC leaves the decision up to the individual schools. The only time you can't sell booze no matter what is during an NCAA run tourney, which is why I was outside for the first half of the Shockers-Cards final four game.

Instead of having an "open air" stadium, SU should be innovative and create the first stadium with its own atmosphere that can simulate any possible weather. If they can have it up by next year, who's to say there won't be a spontaneous hail storm when FSU comes up? I'm looking at you, scientists.

Upstate said:
Instead of having an "open air" stadium, SU should be innovative and create the first stadium with its own atmosphere that can simulate any possible weather. If they can have it up by next year, who's to say there won't be a spontaneous hail storm when FSU comes up? I'm looking at you, scientists.

Bravo

There was some really awful bar down in this area we went to once when we were at SU. Cannot remember the name. Lou's? Some really short name. Absolute hole in the wall. Probably not there any more.

But if it is, it should be the center of this entire project. Save Lou's (or whatever).

I would dislike putting a stadium in the inner harbor/destiny area but it probably makes logistical sense. Though the idea of feeding Congel customers sickens me.

For the University, it's best to have it close to campus and to continue to connect the campus to downtown. Which is actually best for the city long term. In 20 years Syracuse will basically exist because of SU, no? A flourishing downtown connected to campus would seem to be the future. A new stadium in K. Square would be great. Knock down Hilltop Projects, make it safe down there.

As fans, we'd still get to be near campus, go to M Street, students are close, etc... I love parking off Euclid and walking to games. It's part of the tradition. I never understood the parking gripes. I've been going for 30 years and never cared about a short walk on a college campus.

But hopefully we just modernize the Dome. It's part of our sports identity. Massive banners on the outside of former players (like at Auburn) to cover the gray, real seats so we aren't sardines, re-do lux boxes... I love the Dome despite its flaws.

I have a feeling the new chancellor is not going to sign on for a new stadium. Refurbish the Dome, yes. New stadium, no.

I think the new Chancellor is going to make a well-informed decision. He seems the opposite of Cantor in that he's not looking to spend money just because he can. The guy lived in a dorm instead of a suite at the Sheraton for two months, so it's likely he's not worried about being flashy. Will be interesting to see how he meshes with DG, who seems to be all about the flash.

I would dislike putting a stadium in the inner harbor/destiny area but it probably makes logistical sense. Though the idea of feeding Congel customers sickens me.

Yeah because having a healthy retail facility that offers a wide array of shopping, food, and entertainment options is bad for the community.

I understand the motivations to keep a new facility near campus and investment in a depressed part of town, but prioritizing those goals is going to lead to a suboptimal user experience.