Anyone hear this new stadium rumor | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone hear this new stadium rumor

Chris02M said:
200 from state plus 100 mil from county as was original deal

Didn't read the whole sentence where it says and.

retro44 said:
This is what I have heard today. About 6 months ago there was some light idle chatter of wanting to build a 35,000 seat Basketball arena with maybe a hockey rink and possibly indoor soccer field.Nothing about a football stadium mentioned. Keep the dome for football operations only. 2Parking garage maybe. No money,no plans were brought up in the IDA meetings and such. Just dreams. Flash forward this week, Cuomo is setting himself up for re-election by having all these grand plans for every upstate city. There was some talk this week about the football stadium being in the 44,000 range, but with a retractable roof the stadium would have to be bigger than the dome. Pure talk and B.S. that is why Minor was clueless. Nobody in the building trades is taking this seriously at all at this moment. If they want to do this, then this was dumbest way to treat the mayor, who Cuomo was dying to embarrass. What has also been mentioned and talked about loosely was that the Dome is the last piece of real estate up on the hill that is now being surrounded by academic buildings. Even the county majority legislative leader has not seen this mysterious study. If the study was in fact done then maybe there is stuff in it that does not help their cause I was told. The person I spoke to has regular meetings with the politicians and builders in the area all the time on work that is up coming and on the books to what is seriously being looked at and this has not even been put on anyone's agenda to discuss behind closed doors.. Only in papers this has been talked about.
Great post. Only one question. Why would cuomo be worried about reelection?

can you imagine if we did today what we did by doing a dome- might not be the biggest - man o man if we could build a great stadium again-

this time do a moving roof:E

he understands just how much we matter to the nyc crowd- suck it joisey state

Actually 2 questions. The second being why would Cuomo give a rat's behind about embarrassing Miner?

something's rotten in Denmark
So in this grand scheme to embarrass her, what if she had just gone along from the beginning? He would have fallen flat on his face. Wait. Somebody get to her quick and explain how she can get back at the gov by going along with the Stadium proposal!
Hey, I'm not saying there is any logic involved in anything that has transpired. Actually I find that the most odd thing to come out is that SU won't share it's feasibility study. Maybe it's because the Chancellor is so new, I don't know. Even if the mayor is a hard head I don't see the benefits of not including her in the talks from the beginning. As we've all observed over the past week.

By the way sir, I've been talking with your neighbors over the past few weeks and all of us think it would be great to put a pool in your backyard. We'll pay for it by the way. You may have to put up with dozens of people hanging out there whenever we have an event but don't worry about it. No, we can't share with you how many people may show up on a given day, where they'll park or how long they'll stay but here's $10000. Yes, you might have to deal with the other neighbors that aren't hanging out at the pool because they're angry over the noise but don't worry about it. Here's $10000. That should get you by for the next 30 years.

I find it funny that this thread and others originated on the football board.

Maybe it's nothing, maybe it is..

I thought the exact same thing when I was told that. I guess the guy is a full time politician and he has figured it that if you want to claim you are revitalizing the New York state economy you might as well start today when he starts running his presidential campaign which I think will happen.

Actually 2 questions. The second being why would Cuomo give a rat's behind about embarrassing Miner?
She embarrassed him over the Ponzi scheme he was trying to run through the state pension system. I had heard she was one hell of a pension fund lawyer and just flat new more about the ways on running a pension over Cuomo and his cronies.

[quote="KellySyracuse, post: Even if the mayor is a hard head I don't see the benefits of not including her in the talks from the beginning. As we've all observed over the past week..[/quote]

Because she will muck it up.

I don't care where our sports are played, as long as we are winning, i'm ok. What i really want is for Syracuse to once again become a stop on every major concert tours list. We got the Stones , The Who, Pink Floyd, The Police, Genesis, Billy Joel..and more I can't remember to come here in the 80s and 90s. Now we get crappy K Rock A thons and mostly awful fair concerts. There is a reason why Pearl Jam hasn't played here and every other act that sells arenas out. How about using the $$ for an outdoor 15-20,000 seat ampitheater?

I'm not sure if it's just political mumbo jumbo or Minor just making sure she knows the facts. I don't know the players involved and their true intentions.

I don't see the need for a retractable roof unless they can put baseball/softball in there as well.

Forgetting football for a minute... (It's difficult, I know.). If some developer wants to build a stadium here, and is hoping to attract big concerts, he will want a retractable roof. For six months of the year, people want open air concerts here.

Forgetting football for a minute... (It's difficult, I know.). If some developer wants to build a stadium here, and is hoping to attract big concerts, he will want a retractable roof. For six months of the year, people want open air concerts here.
i think those days are gone. everyone can find music that perfectly suits them. back in the day, some unanimity was forced on people. all you heard was what was on TV or radio. there are plenty of outdoor stadiums around that aren't hosting many big concerts

I don't care where our sports are played, as long as we are winning, i'm ok. What i really want is for Syracuse to once again become a stop on every major concert tours list. We got the Stones , The Who, Pink Floyd, The Police, Genesis, Billy Joel..and more I can't remember to come here in the 80s and 90s. Now we get crappy K Rock A thons and mostly awful fair concerts. There is a reason why Pearl Jam hasn't played here and every other act that sells arenas out. How about using the $$ for an outdoor 15-20,000 seat ampitheater?

No, no, no!

Fresh air at rock concerts is the last thing I want. I prefer the old stale smoke filled arenas with no ventilation systems ;)

Last edited:
Fresh at at rock concerts is the last thing I want. I prefer the old stale smoke filled arenas with no ventilation systems ;)

I understand indoor, smoke-filled arenas are the venue of choice for concerts in Colorado these days.

Stadium shows for the most part are things of the past. Getting rid of the War Memorial and having a sensible 12K arena can solve the Pearl Jam type shows (they came through in the fall, didn't play Verizon but played Baltimore 10K venue and Charlottesville 14K venue)

Dreaming big! Use your imagination a little...build the stadium in the inner harbor area between there and Destiny. Extend the inner harbor (Eminent domain to relocate a few houses area businesses). Restaurant & shopping area, similar to the riverwalk in SA, water taxis from the liverpool County owned property or Fairgrounds to help alleviate traffic. Maybe a light rail system like some have mentioned to connect downtown, SU, the harbor and Destiny. Exits off of 81 (if it still exists). What else? Of course, money and physics are no object!
Harbor.png