Anyone hear this new stadium rumor | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Anyone hear this new stadium rumor

I guess I don't understand the secrecy. What's the big deal?
Maybe they were still digesting the information and building a presentation on it. Who knows when the new Chancellor reviewed it. I just hate this game that's going on in the press. Everyone just comes off looking stupid

From what I had just heard, it would be best to forget about this.

Politics and look and see what I am doing for each upstate city.

The study may have never been done. Explains why no one has seen the study and explains why Minor was blind sided. They knew she wouldn't gotten into the game under those conditions lying to the public.

Last edited:
they paid half of a $100,000 study.

here's a quote from the story

SU paid half of the $100,000 cost of the study, according to Ben Dublin, Mahoney's chief of staff. The other half was paid for by the Syracuse Convention and Visitors Bureau, an arm of the nonprofit CenterState CEO, the region's most influential business development group. Mahoney asked the Visitors Bureau to provide the $50,000, Dublin said.

The Visitors Bureau receives the bulk of its funding -- $1.65 million this year, according to county budget documents - from Onondaga County. The money comes from the county's hotel surcharge, called the room occupancy tax.

It's still tax money...Funny how the gov't always finds ways to skirt the FOIL requests
The city didn't pay anything.

The city didn't pay anything.
The county with the hotel tax money,who was saying the city did.

Besides I had just heard this was pure B.S.

The county with the hotel tax money,who was saying the city did.

Besides I had just heard this was pure B.S.
I am just saying the county and SU paid for it...so I guess they have a right to see it. Not sure that the city (Miner) can claim they do.

I am just saying the county and SU paid for it...so I guess they have a right to see it. Not sure that the city (Miner) can claim they do.

Technically the county didn't pay for anything. The Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau did, which is a completely separate entity from the county. Regardless of where their funds come from, they are not bound by freedom of information laws.

EDIT: misread your post I think

Technically the county didn't pay for anything. The Syracuse Convention & Visitors Bureau did, which is a completely separate entity from the county. Regardless of where their funds come from, they are not bound by freedom of information laws.

EDIT: misread your post I think
Technically, I agree but the article said that bureau is funded by the county and Mahoney asked the bureau for the money so that is why I included the county...at least indirectly.

This whole thing keeps getting weirder and weirder. Why take so long to bring the Mayor into the discussion if that is truly what happened, and as was articulated on the Bud and Manchild show this morning, why not say thank you when someone is ready to fork over $200 million to you, and assess the risks while mitigating against them post agreement. This is development within the city, not 20 miles away with infrastructure concerns and fears of inflated construction costs. If fits a need within a developing area.

If I'm SU, I'm taking a contingency downtown, calling Mahoney, and getting into a board room with the Mayor et al and hashing this out, today.

Probably will get blasted for this opinion, but I'd rather see the state/county spend the $ to build a new 10-12k arena for the Crunch/Silver Knights/concerts.

As a local, I look at it this way (and it's selfish admittedly), but SU isn't going anywhere and the Dome is a suitable venue. The War Memorial is awful, and a new arena would not only keep the Crunch around, but give the community a venue suitable for more concerts, performances, as well as providing a place in Syracuse for the Section 3/State Championships. All of these things combined would generate more local revenue than a new facility for SU.

I agree with this. To me moving down the hill to a smaller arena is a downgrade, even if it's newerbuilding. The lot on which it would be put, judging by Google Maps, is about the size of the the current Dome so there will be no parking to speak of outside the facility. We'll still have to park at Manley and Skytop and be bused there. 42,000 is a smaller football arena but big enough that you'd probably have to do the same thing for basketball we do now: put the court on one side and slide part of the seating over with people sitting on the "wings" far away from the court for the big games.

Why put in a retractable roof for the first couple of football games when it's going to be closed for most events, especially when you are now at the bottom of the hill. What are we going to look at? At least Archbold was on a hill and you could look at the surrounding countryside.

People complain about the benches but they actually offer more freedom of movement about the Dome than individual seats, such as we have at the ballpark. There's more elbow and leg room. I'm not uncomfortable sitting on them and if you are, you can buy those cushions.

The Dome isn't elderly, it's middle aged. We need to get maximum use out of the public buildings we build for so much money, not throw them away because politicians suddenly have money to spend or because fat cats what more bells and whistles in their luxury boxes. The Dome has become the symbol of Syracuse NY. Would the new place become our symbol?

We do need to replace the War Memorial, (and why couldn't the new building be the new War Memorial with displays honoring our veterans? Build this now place for hockey and other types of events but leave the Dome up for another generation. When we need to replace it, let's build a bigger and better building somewhere where we can surround it with parking and restaurants, etc. (How about that area across the railroad tracks next to the Ballpark and Destiny?)

That just makes much more sense to me than what I'm hearing.

This whole thing keeps getting weirder and weirder. Why take so long to bring the Mayor into the discussion if that is truly what happened, and as was articulated on the Bud and Manchild show this morning, why not say thank you when someone is ready to fork over $200 million to you, and assess the risks while mitigating against them post agreement. This is development within the city, not 20 miles away with infrastructure concerns and fears of inflated construction costs. If fits a need within a developing area.
I think Miner showed exactly why they didn't bring her in earlier. I know, in my own job, who to bring in early in a project and who to leave out because they will just muck things up and we'll never get started. I agree she could have approached this differently too... and work with SU and the county on questions/issues she thinks need to be addressed...while at the same time giving a soft go-ahead for the request but all the while agreeing that lots of questions need to be answered.

Retro you keep saying the site is too narrow and would go over Erie Blvd but I just overlaid the dome and it fits if you remove biotech or go over water street (a street few use) not over Erie Blvd. My guess would be is the stadium would be more narrow and taller with a high overhang for the upper deck and it would fit without a problem. If you ran a light rail or a dedicated bus only street west along water street to downtown with a station under the stadium then east along erie blvd and up to marshal street along s. Crouse it would add huge parking capacity and improve connectivity for students and downtown. You would need to shut down water street from Clinton square east and S. Crouse north of marshal but these are very low traffic streets and the light rail could along the median of Erie Blvd to the east or have the busses use Erie itself from a dedicated on ramp off the end of water street (no immediate red Lights).

View attachment 6713

If you have to do all that, it's the wrong spot.

WOW, glad I am not in business with you. Pretty typical stuff, unless you live in Ithaca then you have to do a feasibility study to not disturb the athiests , homeless, and drug dealers. It's great.

This stuff is pretty typical and wouldn't be surprised if many of these answers are already available, many not all.

All good information...all things that you need to know. But IMHO Miner is looking for a chance to create the impression that she is solely capable of making this a win for the city, to put her stamp on it, and get herself out in front of the parade.

I agree with this. To me moving down the hill to a smaller arena is a downgrade, even if it's newerbuilding. The lot on which it would be put, judging by Google Maps, is about the size of the the current Dome so there will be no parking to speak of outside the facility. We'll still have to park at Manley and Skytop and be bused there. 42,000 is a smaller football arena but big enough that you'd probably have to do the same thing for basketball we do now: put the court on one side and slide part of the seating over with people sitting on the "wings" far away from the court for the big games.

Why put in a retractable roof for the first couple of football games when it's going to be closed for most events, especially when you are now at the bottom of the hill. What are we going to look at? At least Archbold was on a hill and you could look at the surrounding countryside.

People complain about the benches but they actually offer more freedom of movement about the Dome than individual seats, such as we have at the ballpark. There's more elbow and leg room. I'm not uncomfortable sitting on them and if you are, you can buy those cushions.

The Dome isn't elderly, it's middle aged. We need to get maximum use out of the public buildings we build for so much money, not throw them away because politicians suddenly have money to spend or because fat cats what more bells and whistles in their luxury boxes. The Dome has become the symbol of Syracuse NY. Would the new place become our symbol?

We do need to replace the War Memorial, (and why couldn't the new building be the new War Memorial with displays honoring our veterans? Build this now place for hockey and other types of events but leave the Dome up for another generation. When we need to replace it, let's build a bigger and better building somewhere where we can surround it with parking and restaurants, etc. (How about that area across the railroad tracks next to the Ballpark and Destiny?)

That just makes much more sense to me than what I'm hearing.
I agree with what you say but not as much if funding is in place for a new dome as discussed. I agree the site down the hill is awful...just from a size and location standpoint. I do like the idea of a retractable roof though but it is a luxury and not necessary. I agree about benches. I like them fine. I also do think a new dome could become just as symbolic as the old. Also, the War Memorial should have been replaced years ago. They should separate the memorial part from the arena next go around so they don't run up against the same opposition about demolishing the arena. In addition, if I recall correctly, there is something about the roof that makes the arena historic, etc. and that also helped keep the wrecking ball away.

This is what I have heard today. About 6 months ago there was some light idle chatter of wanting to build a 35,000 seat Basketball arena with maybe a hockey rink and possibly indoor soccer field.Nothing about a football stadium mentioned. Keep the dome for football operations only. 2Parking garage maybe. No money,no plans were brought up in the IDA meetings and such. Just dreams.

Flash forward this week, Cuomo is setting himself up for re-election by having all these grand plans for every upstate city. There was some talk this week about the football stadium being in the 44,000 range, but with a retractable roof the stadium would have to be bigger than the dome. Pure talk and B.S. that is why Minor was clueless.

Nobody in the building trades is taking this seriously at all at this moment. If they want to do this, then this was dumbest way to treat the mayor, who Cuomo was dying to embarrass.

What has also been mentioned and talked about loosely was that the Dome is the last piece of real estate up on the hill that is now being surrounded by academic buildings.

Even the county majority legislative leader has not seen this mysterious study. If the study was in fact done then maybe there is stuff in it that does not help their cause I was told.

The person I spoke to has regular meetings with the politicians and builders in the area all the time on work that is up coming and on the books to what is seriously being looked at and this has not even been put on anyone's agenda to discuss behind closed doors.. Only in papers this has been talked about.

I've only read the last few posts.

If not mentioned before, the only reason this actually has come up the way that it did is that if a new facility is built (or in process) along with the rebuilding of I-81, the traffic issues with I-81 must be considered depending upon if we get a boulevard or tunnel system instead of an overpass (or even an overpass).

The overall cost of a new stadium would be reduced as the roadway system (access roads, ramps, etc) would be paid for with federal and not state or city funds. We are talking millions here that could be avoided along with an efficient access to major highways to and from the new location.

KellySyracuse said:
She actually mentioned April as a possibility, that's how I heard it anyway. I can't remember the exact quote but went something like this: If we have to be on board by Friday? No. Now if we have until April then yes, depending on what transpires. I actually liked that she said she and Syverud had been working together. That he doesn't know the history of us making bad decisions on where we place arenas.

I thought I read someplace that the state money had to be allocated or formally requested by the end of next week. April won't work. She either gets on board real quick or forget this year.

retro44 said:
This is what I have heard today. About 6 months ago there was some light idle chatter of wanting to build a 35,000 seat Basketball arena with maybe a hockey rink and possibly indoor soccer field.Nothing about a football stadium mentioned. Keep the dome for football operations only. 2Parking garage maybe. No money,no plans were brought up in the IDA meetings and such. Just dreams. Flash forward this week, Cuomo is setting himself up for re-election by having all these grand plans for every upstate city. There was some talk this week about the football stadium being in the 44,000 range, but with a retractable roof the stadium would have to be bigger than the dome. Pure talk and B.S. that is why Minor was clueless. Nobody in the building trades is taking this seriously at all at this moment. If they want to do this, then this was dumbest way to treat the mayor, who Cuomo was dying to embarrass. What has also been mentioned and talked about loosely was that the Dome is the last piece of real estate up on the hill that is now being surrounded by academic buildings. Even the county majority legislative leader has not seen this mysterious study. If the study was in fact done then maybe there is stuff in it that does not help their cause I was told. The person I spoke to has regular meetings with the politicians and builders in the area all the time on work that is up coming and on the books to what is seriously being looked at and this has not even been put on anyone's agenda to discuss behind closed doors.. Only in papers this has been talked about.

Not sure what that all implies but the idea didn't just recently hatch. It's been looked at for several months and I've even heard rumblings about who the single big donor might be. Miner was even first consulted on 12/3.

This is what I have heard today. About 6 months ago there was some light idle chatter of wanting to build a 35,000 seat Basketball arena with maybe a hockey rink and possibly indoor soccer field.Nothing about a football stadium mentioned. Keep the dome for football operations only. 2Parking garage maybe. No money,no plans were brought up in the IDA meetings and such. Just dreams.

Flash forward this week, Cuomo is setting himself up for re-election by having all these grand plans for every upstate city. There was some talk this week about the football stadium being in the 44,000 range, but with a retractable roof the stadium would have to be bigger than the dome. Pure talk and B.S. that is why Minor was clueless.

Nobody in the building trades is taking this seriously at all at this moment. If they want to do this, then this was dumbest way to treat the mayor, who Cuomo was dying to embarrass.

What has also been mentioned and talked about loosely was that the Dome is the last piece of real estate up on the hill that is now being surrounded by academic buildings.

Even the county majority legislative leader has not seen this mysterious study. If the study was in fact done then maybe there is stuff in it that does not help their cause I was told.

The person I spoke to has regular meetings with the politicians and builders in the area all the time on work that is up coming and on the books to what is seriously being looked at and this has not even been put on anyone's agenda to discuss behind closed doors.. Only in papers this has been talked about.

This is the most logical summary of the past weeks events that I've read. Cuomo trying to embarrass Miner as the end goal. The projects in this town move at the speed of molasses uphill, just take a look at Hotel Syracuse or Mitzpah Towers. Mahoney will take the money being offered and use it for other development somewhere, which was likely the original plan anyway.

I hate politicians and their bullsh!t

There was light chatter on the B.B stadium, football stadium is something new. Truthfully, this football stadium talk has been going on for years as idle chatter.

As for the building trades they would love to see this built,but like the rest of us, they know nothing and they talk to Joanie all the time.

He was not saying it would never be built,but he hasn't seen any progress except what they hear around the water cooler.

The 35,000 seat arena would have fitted down there with a parking garage. Football not so,44,ooo was the number he heard, but if retractable they would need a bigger footprint. Those numbers were thrown out to the trades. Talk is one thing with these guys, but action is another with all the B.S. that is thrown out there.

Stories are not matching up with the politicians. But BEES the talk may have only been between just a few on the football part as there is a new Chancellor on the hill. He may in fact be the who in who is driving this and that is why the trades haven't heard much yet.

Last edited:
I thought I read someplace that the state money had to be allocated or formally requested by the end of next week. April won't work. She either gets on board real quick or forget this year.
you know Miner, she's not getting on board for anything that isn't completely vetted by her or without having all of her t's crossed and i's dotted

and again, another story about it today.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....er_questions_remain.html#incart_river_default

Miner met with SU's lawyer Irwin Raij today but didn't get her questions resolved and was not given a copy of the feasibility study.

"Supporters of the stadium proposal who got wind of the meeting, including Common Councilor Khalid Bey, said they hoped it would provide an opportunity for SU to address enough of Miner's concerns to persuade her to embrace the deal.

Bey said there is strong support on the council for a proposal put together by SU and Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney, with support from Gov. Andrew Cuomo, to develop a $500 million arena using roughly $300 million of funding from the state and the county. "This is a project you make happen,'' Bey said."

KellySyracuse said:
and again, another story about it today. http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....er_questions_remain.html#incart_river_default Miner met with SU's lawyer Irwin Raij today but didn't get her questions resolved and was not given a copy of the feasibility study. "Supporters of the stadium proposal who got wind of the meeting, including Common Councilor Khalid Bey, said they hoped it would provide an opportunity for SU to address enough of Miner's concerns to persuade her to embrace the deal. Bey said there is strong support on the council for a proposal put together by SU and Onondaga County Executive Joanie Mahoney, with support from Gov. Andrew Cuomo, to develop a $500 million arena using roughly $300 million of funding from the state and the county. "This is a project you make happen,'' Bey said."

Now the state is putting in $300m?

you know Miner, she's not getting on board for anything that isn't completely vetted by her or without having all of her t's crossed and i's dotted

I think she's more the dot the T's cross the I's type.

if they won't give her the study maybe they should have someone who has seen it conference with her on what it showed and maybe make an agreement that if the project is to go forward they will show it before starting work on it. If they are to get it in Cuomo's budget it will have to strike a deal by this weekend