are there any JB defenders left? | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

are there any JB defenders left?

I am in favor of letting Coach Boeheim have a big say in when he calls it a career. I understand the disappointment of recent years, but I am of an age to remember when SU basketball was a regional program. Coach Boeheim brought SU to national prominence.

I was at the Tuesday game and was disappointed with the fan support for the team. Many of the elements that have given SU a distinct home court advantage have seemed to disappear. What has happened to the Goon Squad signs (Who's he, who cares, so what, big deal, !)? The handclapping to begin each half was pathetic. Of course, there was no cue from the game announcer or the Sour Sitrus Society to prompt the fans. It felt like the crowd just sat there demanding a win with no effort on its part. The fan involvement is an important element in making SU a challenging place to play. The Loudhouse was anything but, and that was before the score got out of hand.

One last item. Anyone letting that bumpkin B. Axe lead them in calling for Coach Boeheim's dismissal is hopeless.

My questions are, how much rope should JB be afforded at this point? And does anyone believe that things would be different next season if he's allowed to coach?

Personally, I don't -- especially if there is a mass exodus and lots of new faces next year.

But maybe JW views letting JB coach with the caveat that next season is the LAST year as the path of least resistance.
And if he is choosing the path of least resistance he shouldn’t be in the position he is in.
That’s why everyone is afraid that he will promote Red or Gerry to take over. It’s the easy choice.
I’m really hoping they will both do the right thing. I have little faith of that happening since Boeheim has proven to do just the opposite of what everyone else wants.

I am in favor of letting Coach Boeheim have a big say in when he calls it a career. I understand the disappointment of recent years, but I am of an age to remember when SU basketball was a regional program. Coach Boeheim brought SU to national prominence.
He's had a big say on when he calls it a career. He nuked 1 transition 6 years ago after his 2nd set of sanctions and now has made his assistants unmarketable anywhere else. Those guys are begging JW that they get the job otherwise they will be coaching in the NEC or Patriot league or D2 for all I know.

Sure, blame the fans while we are on year 9 of the decline. Its totally their fault.

I was at the Tuesday game and was disappointed with the fan support for the team. Many of the elements that have given SU a distinct home court advantage have seemed to disappear. What has happened to the Goon Squad signs (Who's he, who cares, so what, big deal, !)? The handclapping to begin each half was pathetic. Of course, there was no cue from the game announcer or the Sour Sitrus Society to prompt the fans. It felt like the crowd just sat there demanding a win with no effort on its part. The fan involvement is an important element in making SU a challenging place to play. The Loudhouse was anything but, and that was before the score got out of hand.

One last item. Anyone letting that bumpkin B. Axe lead them in calling for Coach Boeheim's dismissal is hopeless.

With all due respect, the culmination and advent of ESPN, the Carrier Dome, the Big East Conference, along with Jim Boeheim, is what created the crescendo that became Syracuse basketball and to its national prominence. The amazing (otherworldly) timing of all of this, is really storybook in nature. JB does not reach the level of success without any of the aforementioned. Anyone to think or believe otherwise, is simply not being honest and sincere.

Additionally, prior to JB becoming the head coach at Syracuse, the Orangemen had just made a Final Four appearance with Jimmy Lee and co. So, there's that...

Last edited:
With all due respect, the culmination and advent of ESPN, the Carrier Dome, the Big East Conference, along with Jim Boeheim, is what created the crescendo that became Syracuse basketball to its national prominence. JB does not reach the level of success without any of the aforementioned. Anyone to think or believe otherwise, is simply not being honest and sincere.

Additionally, prior to JB become the head coach at Syracuse, the Orangemen and a Final Four appearance with Jimmy Lee and co. So, there's that...

Six straight post-season appearances under Danforth, 2 NITs (quarterfinals the 2nd year), 4 NCAA tournaments including 1973 Sweet 16 and 1975 Final Four.

Six straight post-season appearances under Danforth, 2 NITs (quarterfinals the 2nd year), 4 NCAA tournaments including 1973 Sweet 16 and 1975 Final Four.

Indeed!

And, back then, with the total number of teams that made the Dance being a fraction of what it is today, making the NIT, not to mention doing well, actually carried far more significance than it does today.

danforth wasn't fired or "let go" . he chose to leave on his own terms to assume the HC reins at TULANE and later as asst AD. danforth was not forced out because the program was under performing. he averaged a record of 22-7 over his final 5 seasons with post season tourneys.
every year and a final 4 in '75. we then handed the program over to an assistant nobody golf instructor named jim boeheim. i can't remember anybody calling for him to resign or leave.
not the case today.

JB has burned up most of the equity he built up. He’s too old and disinterested in key aspects of the job to properly serve as head coach. He’s stubborn and stuck in his ways. He’s deeply resistant to change. He doesn’t get to write his own end to the story anymore. Lots of legendary coaches eventually lose their mojo and can’t do the job at the same high level anymore. Louisville had Denny Crum. Purdue had Gene Keady. Indiana had Bobby Knight (he was admittedly a lunatic and an abuser, so a bit of a different story there). Even Lute Olson, who had health and personal issues but also tried to hang on too long and left the program in limbo. All were forced out to make way for new blood and a fresh start. It’s now JB’s time to accept that his time as a head coach is up. He hung on too long and it’s just getting ugly at this point.

Last edited:

"...Fan's fault."

He's had the better part of a decade to have his say in how he goes out and he's simply refused to do it.

What an awful take.

Danforth set the table nicely for JB to be sure (and the dome.)

JB will not being doing the same for his successor.

Last edited:
I'm happy and sad.

I'm more sad about the near-decade of decline, and seeing JB come close to bottoming out here at the end.

I'm sad that there is such widespread coverage of JB embarrassing himself as a function of his comments to the media.

And I'm sad to see him tarnish his legacy by putting out such a poor product, after an unparalled level of consistent success for the majority of his career.

Most of all, I'm sad to see that he's lost the team -- seemingly for the first time in his 47 year career.

I'm more sad about the near-decade of decline, and seeing JB come close to bottoming out here at the end.

I'm sad that there is such widespread coverage of JB embarrassing himself as a function of his comments to the media.

And I'm sad to see him tarnish his legacy by putting out such a poor product, after an unparalled level of consistent success for the majority of his career.

Most of all, I'm sad to see that he's lost the team -- seemingly for the first time in his 47 year career.
big exclamation point on your last sentence

There is no debating that his impact and success in building and maintaining the program at such a high level for so many years was immense and storied and I certainly appreciate all that success and what it has meant to program, university, and fans.

...But now, with all that success in the rearview mirror and the precipitous program decline... it's like all his negative personality quirks and ego issues have steamrolled the legacy of success and made him the worst sort of "hanger-on" imaginable - almost like it's impossible for him to NOT go out this way.

That is why it's so sad.

Last edited:
I still can't believe that SU allowed him to stay beyond his committed transition plan.
He was supposed to be gone after 2017-18.
So we're 88-66 with one miracle run to the SS in there.

I am in favor of letting Coach Boeheim have a big say in when he calls it a career. I understand the disappointment of recent years,
We’re a few light years past “disappointment”. Disappointment is getting bounced by a lower seed in the dance.

We’re also past anger and embarrassment.

Try depression, acceptance, detachment, indifference.

This reminds me of when the Eddie Robinson era ended at Grambling. He was lauded for years for his success on the field and the values he represented off the field and the character-building he did with his players. Then Grambling started losing. They wanted to fire him but he asked for one more year to "fix this" and was granted that. They went 3-8 for the second straight year and it was over.

danforth wasn't fired or "let go" . he chose to leave on his own terms to assume the HC reins at TULANE and later as asst AD. danforth was not forced out because the program was under performing. he averaged a record of 22-7 over his final 5 seasons with post season tourneys.
every year and a final 4 in '75. we then handed the program over to an assistant nobody golf instructor named jim boeheim. i can't remember anybody calling for him to resign or leave.
not the case today.
Did you go back and read the social media posts from back then? I'm sure somebody wasn't satitisfied with those results and was calling for Danforths head. Ya know the old sang, ya can't please everybody.

With all due respect, the culmination and advent of ESPN, the Carrier Dome, the Big East Conference, along with Jim Boeheim, is what created the crescendo that became Syracuse basketball and to its national prominence. The amazing (otherworldly) timing of all of this, is really storybook in nature. JB does not reach the level of success without any of the aforementioned. Anyone to think or believe otherwise, is simply not being honest and sincere.

Additionally, prior to JB becoming the head coach at Syracuse, the Orangemen had just made a Final Four appearance with Jimmy Lee and co. So, there's that...
Yea, it’s not like JB took over a losing program. It was a program on the upswing that had made the FF one year before he took over. Of course we should also acknowledge that JB was a key cog in helping to build that success as an assistant to Danforth.

Yea, it’s not like JB took over a losing program. It was a program on the upswing that had made the FF one year before he took over. Of course we should also acknowledge that JB was a key cog in helping to build that success as an assistant to Danforth.

Eh, bball was so much different back then. We were a regional team. I liked Roy but it wasn’t the same. He had success but we played a schedule made up of all the Fordhams, Cornell’s and Buffalos. Our SOS was always negative.

Short of the dome, neither would have Louie, Rollie nor Thompson then.

Short of the dome, neither would have Louie, Rollie nor Thompson then.
I don't know why some people need to retcon our history. Syracuse is SYRACUSE because of Jim Boeheim. Period.

Sure we had some prior success, but so did lots of eastern teams. Hell, Rutgers made a final 4 around the same time we did. Sure the conference and cable TV helped, but lots of other programs had those benefits as well. The Dome was unique, but only because we had teams worthy of filling the place, and that's what JB built.

Rollie and Louie and Rick and PJ had some nice runs, but there were two pillars of Big East hoops in the 80s/early 90s. SU and Georgetown. Both had that status because of the talent of their head coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom