are there any JB defenders left? | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

are there any JB defenders left?

People at least liked or respected Coach K.
Most think that - at best - JAB is a whiny yet whimsical (see: tossed jacket) coach.
At worst? Multiple cheating scandals and what it's become now. A farse.
No one thinks this outside of Syracuse fans who never liked jab. I live on the west coast and where Syracuse stuff everywhere people don't even remember the first one. People think we are a blue blood. The first probation was 30 years ago. Coaches universally like JAB more than K.

I do think he will announce next year is it. He will hit the portal and try to get as good for the 1 year as possible. He will also get AW to go all in on Adams and try to help with bringing impact people in.

I agree. I don’t want it but he will fight to come back. He likely thinks he can go out winning.

This.

It likely only happens if the AD and BOT have decided he's done. He is not going to leave on his own accord. Especially now.

I don't really have any reason to think that the administration all the sudden got a set and are ready to play hardball, given how long they've let this issue fester up to now.

Also, if they can save a payoff by giving him one more year to finish his contract, they will do it. Why not one more year at this point?!

I certainly hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:
I just don't know how JW in his right mind can allow it to continue?

How can he sell that to the fanbase after seeing the attendance on Tuesday night? The fanbase has spoken.

I think JW hopes JB will say after the season this is it and its a clean break. If JB doesn't say that, JW needs to say "sorry Jim all things must come to an end at some point and I think its best for all parties involved and we will announce your retirement and celebrate it. Its up to you if you want to play along with it."

I think JW has enough leverage to pull this now if he wanted to, based on performance, bad PR, declining attendance etc. He has to got be getting sick of dealing with this as it hangs over the Athletic Departments head. His office getting bombarded with calls and emails, forcing Jim to retract statements, never knowing what is going to come out of his mouth. I think its a coin flip whether he executes it, though.

From JB's perspective, why would you want to come back when the fans have been calling for retirement for the last 2 seasons? (take the hint) The pressure is only going to increase while the team is probably going to even be even weaker. Wouldn't you want to get out while you are still ahead? You want to be booed at JMA? Potentially heckled at Wegmans? Continue to see your beloved zone get eviscerated? Continuing just doesn't make sense.

No one thinks this outside of Syracuse fans who never liked jab. I live on the west coast and where Syracuse stuff everywhere people don't even remember the first one. People think we are a blue blood. The first probation was 30 years ago. Coaches universally like JAB more than K.
never use absolutes.
your experience is your experience.

I just don't know how JW in his right mind can allow it to continue?

How can he sell that to the fanbase after seeing the attendance on Tuesday night? The fanbase has spoken.

I think JW hopes JB will say after the season this is it and its a clean break. If JB doesn't say that, JW needs to say "sorry Jim all things must come to an end at some point and I think its best for all parties involved and we will announce your retirement and celebrate it. Its up to you if you want to play along with it."

I think JW has enough leverage to pull this now if he wanted to, based on performance, bad PR, declining attendance etc. He has to got be getting sick of dealing with this as it hangs over the Athletic Departments head. His office getting bombarded with calls and emails, forcing Jim to retract statements, never knowing what is going to come out of his mouth. I think its a coin flip whether he executes it, though.

From JB's perspective, why would you want to come back when the fans have been calling for retirement for the last 2 seasons? (take the hint) The pressure is only going to increase while the team is probably going to even be even weaker. Wouldn't you want to get out while you are still ahead? You want to be booed at JMA? Potentially heckled at Wegmans? Continue to see your beloved zone get eviscerated? Continuing just doesn't make sense.
I believe JB has one more year on his contract from what I have understood.

I think if JB says to JW, hey just let me play out my contract and then I’ll retire. Wildhack would definitely let him do that. It’s what I’m afraid of. He says JB has all this built up equity. This is how I see it playing out.

Problem with that scenario is it pushes the needed change back a season. It deteriorates the program even more because we will suck again. Makes the job even less attractive. Also turns 100% of the fans against JB.

I believe JB has one more year on his contract from what I have understood. I've heard that too.

I think if JB says to JW, hey just let me play out my contract and then I’ll retire. Wildhack would definitely let him do that. It’s what I’m afraid of. He says JB has all this built up equity. This is how I see it playing out. I can see it going that way. However, I think JW would be in the right to retire him and just pay him off and say to Jim do you want to play ball or not?

Problem with that scenario is it pushes the needed change back a season. It deteriorates the program even more because we will suck again. Makes the job even less attractive. Also turns 100% of the fans against JB. Totally agree, hoping JB can come to his senses and do the right thing. This is like a poker game to see who blinks first or calls bluff.

Also, if they can save a payoff by giving him one more year to finish his contract, they will do it. Why not one more year at this point?!
It's already been confirmed there is no payoff/buyout/penalty. It would be stupid to negotiate a buyout. Who would poach him?

If he comes back next year, which I have heard he is not, and doesn’t get us in the tournament… its gonna be a tough point for a lot of people on the hill imo
If Wildhack allows him back and it’s another disastrous season, he should be fired. That would be a fatal error for the university. If you want to ride the sinking ship down with Boeheim, be my guest.

If he comes back next year, which I have heard he is not, and doesn’t get us in the tournament… its gonna be a tough point for a lot of people on the hill imo
So you heard JB wont be returning?

I think if JB says to JW, hey just let me play out my contract and then I’ll retire.
here's the problem there. JB says things ... and then nothing changes.

This.

It likely only happens if the AD and BOT have decided he's done. He is not going to leave on his own accord. Especially now.

I don't really have any reason to think that the administration all the sudden got a set and are ready to play hardball, given how long they've let this issue fester up to now.

I certainly hope I'm wrong.

The situation has gotten toxic at this point.

There is no upside to running it back another year. No one has any illusion that another year will turn things around, but it most likely will get worse, much worse.

The issue of doing this for one more year is another full year of uncertainty. JB doesn't want a farewell tour, he also doesn't want to be seen as a lame duck coach on his last year, so he would want to not announce that it will be his last season, so we will have another year of is he or isn't he, who will be his replacement, how will recruits decide to commit or not depending on his status, will he even travel out there to recruit players he will not be coaching and yet he can't tell them (the recruits, their parents, their AAU coaches...) that he is gone after the season, another season in limbo with the statuses of Red/Griff/GMac...and I certainly think it will not be surprising to see some of them leave if JB hangs around. Finally the way this team is playing and responding it does look like we will have another exodus through the portal and graduation.

One more season under JB with an announcement will be a season wasted on the rebuilding.

One more season under JB with no announcement will be a total disaster with uncertainty and toxicity.

If Wildhack allows him back and it’s another disastrous season, he should be fired. That would be a fatal error for the university. If you want to ride the sinking ship down with Boeheim, be my guest.

My questions are, how much rope should JB be afforded at this point? And does anyone believe that things would be different next season if he's allowed to coach?

Personally, I don't -- especially if there is a mass exodus and lots of new faces next year.

But maybe JW views letting JB coach with the caveat that next season is the LAST year as the path of least resistance.

I agree. I don’t want it but he will fight to come back. He likely thinks he can go out winning.

... likely thinks he can go out whining. (Fixed it for you.)

The situation has gotten toxic at this point.

There is no upside to running it back another year. No one has any illusion that another year will turn things around, but it most likely will get worse, much worse. ...

One more season under JB with an announcement will be a season wasted on the rebuilding.

One more season under JB with no announcement will be a total disaster with uncertainty and toxicity.

There is no one who is going to want to play for him next year.