are there any JB defenders left? | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

are there any JB defenders left?

I’ve enjoyed watching Syracuse Basketball my entire life. I’ve considered myself fortunate to have chosen Syracuse in my fandom.

Recent years have been difficult because we’ve been so accustomed to a high level of success for so long. For non teenagers anyway.

I’m so appreciative of what Coach Boeheim has really been the architect of. I will always hold him in the highest regard for that. Not only because of his success within the program, but because of his love for this community and town as well. His loyalty and longevity are I believe unprecedented. Has there been a longer serving head coach in college sports history? Not football… can’t find one in basketball that I’m aware of.

But, this year has been tough. I’ve been apathetic. Constant roster churn (that’s just commonplace now) and mediocre results accompanied by a busier life with my family and career have impacted that.

My personal opinion is to not watch idols tarnish their legacy by hanging on. And athletes, the game and society have changed. Young blood will ultimately and always win. It’s inevitable. I’m trying to enjoy what’s left, but it’s not easy.

As much as I support Jim Boeheim, and always have, I would also support him in retirement. And I hope he can find fulfillment in that next chapter. He’s certainly earned it.

And the things he's doing for the community would continue and could still be supported by the fans.

When he made the decision to stay on and forced Hop out I would think a large majority knew this was going to be an ugly slog to the end. The decision should have been made years ago . Where has there ever been a happy ending once things started going bad for a coach in their twilight. After he reneged on Hop we were done. He wasn’t even running the practices back then. That on top of never once laying the blame on himself and it makes it harder and harder to feel bad for him. This is a guy that will go down the roster and criticize everything they did wrong in the game but never once said it was my fault I didn’t have the team ready to play. This better be the end.

I don’t get the point of another year at all. They can’t run it back with this group. He’s not going to get good players. We’ve already punted on enough years. Every season he stays is another year of punting.
Speaking of punting
E474539E-8179-4C61-8802-D81B7B80AA55.jpeg

I really hope Carmelo and some former players beyond the 2003 team come this weekend and have a sort of intervention with Jim to retire to salvage his legacy.

Last edited:
I’ve enjoyed watching Syracuse Basketball my entire life. I’ve considered myself fortunate to have chosen Syracuse in my fandom.

Recent years have been difficult because we’ve been so accustomed to a high level of success for so long. For non teenagers anyway.

I’m so appreciative of what Coach Boeheim has really been the architect of. I will always hold him in the highest regard for that. Not only because of his success within the program, but because of his love for this community and town as well. His loyalty and longevity are I believe unprecedented. Has there been a longer serving head coach in college sports history? Not football… can’t find one in basketball that I’m aware of.

But, this year has been tough. I’ve been apathetic. Constant roster churn (that’s just commonplace now) and mediocre results accompanied by a busier life with my family and career have impacted that.

My personal opinion is to not watch idols tarnish their legacy by hanging on. And athletes, the game and society have changed. Young blood will ultimately and always win. It’s inevitable. I’m trying to enjoy what’s left, but it’s not easy.

As much as I support Jim Boeheim, and always have, I would also support him in retirement. And I hope he can find fulfillment in that next chapter. He’s certainly earned it.
this

You may be correct, we do not want to see him let go. There is a huge difference in perception.
the unruly rabble discontents seem to only number about 5 %. we're fine. play on.

R.0cd501745170c0d729c9371171b65962.jpeg

Last edited:
I really hope some Carmelo some former players beyond the 2003 team come this weekend and have a sort of intervention with Jim to retire to salvage his legacy.
time house GIF

Chance.

Ridiculous, he molded these guys, as a team they did got to the last game and won. If one or a few of a players said something to him other than something positive they should be kicked out of town.

I’m ready for a change and have been for awhile, but it’s getting way way way too awful around here for him to go out like this.

That's why I've stopped watching and don't plan on spending any more money on games until/unless this is addressed. Because it's not fun.
Yep, I get and appreciate the general sentiment from them. I truly get it. It's not that serious in the grand scheme of things. It's not worth getting upset over, etc etc...and I agree but with caution...

If I/we/others don't think it's that big of deal. Then why bothering giving money to it? Why bother spending time on it? Plenty of other things out there to do/donate to.

I think you'd rather the fanbase be engaged then not care. And that general "get a life" like messaging just tells the fans not to care. jmo.

I support him as coach still. This team is just lacking. Were defensively no where near where we were two years ago.

takes 3 things to play zone defense.
1. a center whos tall enough and mobile and can rebound.
2. a pair of guards who can guard 4 men up top not forcing the wings to come up every play.
3. between the two forwards need atleast a rebounder and preferably a shotblock/alternator presence.

were missing #'s2 and 3. our 35 min guard lineup can only guard 2.5 men up top atm. (Judah has to cheat a step over towards girard). And whether it looks like coaching or yelling atm that's the way it is.
I love Girard, but I think we need to fix number 2 at the starting tip, and tell our forwards to stay back. Will that fix the issues no, but we will be better if our guard tandem can figure that out.

I support him as coach still. This team is just lacking. Were defensively no where near where we were two years ago.

takes 3 things to play zone defense.
1. a center whos tall enough and mobile and can rebound.
2. a pair of guards who can guard 4 men up top not forcing the wings to come up every play.
3. between the two forwards need atleast a rebounder and preferably a shotblock/alternator presence.

were missing #'s2 and 3. our 35 min guard lineup can only guard 2.5 men up top atm. (Judah has to cheat a step over towards girard). And whether it looks like coaching or yelling atm that's the way it is.
I love Girard, but I think we need to fix number 2 at the starting tip, and tell our forwards to stay back. Will that fix the issues no, but we will be better if our guard tandem can figure that out.
The season's basically over. There's nothing left to fix

When he made the decision to stay on and forced Hop out I would think a large majority knew this was going to be an ugly slog to the end. The decision should have been made years ago . Where has there ever been a happy ending once things started going bad for a coach in their twilight. After he reneged on Hop we were done. He wasn’t even running the practices back then. That on top of never once laying the blame on himself and it makes it harder and harder to feel bad for him. This is a guy that will go down the roster and criticize everything they did wrong in the game but never once said it was my fault I didn’t have the team ready to play. This better be the end.
I believe he said that's on me after a recent loss

Do you think they should fire him this year? I think everyone would support him in retirement
Really don't want it to come to that, hopefully someone can talk some sense into him. Would like to have him announce after our last ACC tournament game he is moving on. That way we have the opportunity to start a search for a new coach.
He has had a great career, and staying is just going to tarnish that image.

That's why I've stopped watching and don't plan on spending any more money on games until/unless this is addressed. Because it's not fun.

That's where I was on football for a long time, but when Dino shows promise, and it's not a dumpster fire, I come to the games and spend my dollars.

But, this is the key point. It has to be "fun". Not an event to be dreaded. We have to have a chance of winning, and a team that is willing to play hard and TRY to win.

These last couple games, all of these guys gave up on the jersey. We were awful, and we looked like we frankly didn't care on defense.

Flush 'em all. This run is over. This coaching staff is over. And any players that want to stay will have to prove it to a new coach.

This isn't worth my time anymore, if they don't want to make it fun again. There are other things to do that are way more entertaining.

The problem I have is the fans on Twitter and here that say that he deserves a send off year, are usually for the most part, people that don't live in Syracuse anymore. You don't have to deal with the Grey Skies, snow and negativity that Syracuse has for 6+ months. In our prime Syr basketball provided a happiness during the dreary winters. The Cuse fans that I talk to are just in a depressive state especially the last 2 years because the Cuse basketball they grew up on isnt providing that excitement and happiness that it used to. Us Cuse living people just want hope, the last 6 years haven't provided any.

That's where I was on football for a long time, but when Dino shows promise, and it's not a dumpster fire, I come to the games and spend my dollars.

But, this is the key point. It has to be "fun". Not an event to be dreaded. We have to have a chance of winning, and a team that is willing to play hard and TRY to win.

These last couple games, all of these guys gave up on the jersey. We were awful, and we looked like we frankly didn't care on defense.

Flush 'em all. This run is over. This coaching staff is over. And any players that want to stay will have to prove it to a new coach.

This isn't worth my time anymore, if they don't want to make it fun again. There are other things to do that are way more entertaining.

We'll miss you...

I see posts last couple of years where you called other posters whiners for trying to explain to you this would be his ending if he stayed on.

You deserve this ending. JB didn't. He needed his true fans/friends/Wildhack to step in and help him and they didn't.
You deserve it more.

I have to wonder - if JB is so scared of retirement then how does he survive April through October every year?