Are there any viable recruits | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Are there any viable recruits

Past threads from 2017-18: everyone on this board wanted him. Funny stuff to read now.

Lol. Yeah, the respective races’ histories and experiences in this country are totally the same too.

Got an issue with HBCU’s too?

Think any kids picked Georgetown or Temple or Arkansas back in the 80s-90s for that reason?
Nope, as to HBCU. It is the decision of merit of an individual based upon race, gender, etc. The kid should want to play for the coach who is most going to help him.
He is saying that he would turn down Tom Izzo or coach K, merely to play for an AA coach. His choice and I don’t care.
My point was, if it is a valid point of view to choose based upon race, it ought to be that way for everyone.

Lol. Yeah, the respective races’ histories and experiences in this country are totally the same too.

Got an issue with HBCU’s too?

Think any kids picked Georgetown or Temple or Arkansas back in the 80s-90s for that reason?
All of those coaches were great coaches. Does the fact they were African American perhaps swing the decision for a kid? Perhaps. But coming out and saying I want to play for a black coach is just Bizzare.

Nope, as to HBCU. It is the decision of merit of an individual based upon race, gender, etc. The kid should want to play for the coach who is most going to help him.
He is saying that he would turn down Tom Izzo or coach K, merely to play for an AA coach. His choice and I don’t care.
My point was, if it is a valid point of view to choose based upon race, it ought to be that way for everyone.
Kids going with who they connect with and who they’re comfortable with. Maybe the kid wants to support an underrepresented population in the coaching profession, given the % of players who are black?

And what’s with this Black Entertainment Television!? Why is there no White Entertainment Television, amiright!?

Kids going with who they connect with and who they’re comfortable with. Maybe the kid wants to support an underrepresented population in the coaching profession, given the % of players who are black?

And what’s with this Black Entertainment Television!? Why is there no White Entertainment Television, amiright!?
And if you connect with that coach that's fine. I've never heard anyone say I want to play for a black coach before. It's just odd.

And if you connect with that coach that's fine. I've never heard anyone say I want to play for a black coach before. It's just odd.
White coaches are the “default”. It’s not a “normal” representation, based on the % of D-1 b-ball players that are black.

Why would one even need to say “I want to play for a white coach”? Throw a rock in any direction and you’ll find a white coach who was a “coach on the floor” and a “scrappy gym rat” when they played.

White coaches are the “default”. It’s not a “normal” representation, based on the % of D-1 b-ball players that are black.

Why would one even need to say “I want to play for a white coach”? Throw a rock in any direction and you’ll find a white coach who was a “coach on the floor” and a “scrappy gym rat” when they played.
Don't forget high bb IQ

All of those coaches were great coaches. Does the fact they were African American perhaps swing the decision for a kid? Perhaps. But coming out and saying I want to play for a black coach is just Bizzare.
It's just unusual for a player to state the race of a coach is important to him. I am sure many people thought that just rarely, if ever, voice it. Comfort level is key. If a demographic makes a one more comfortable go for it. No one would think twice if a player said he or she wants to play close to home or experience a different part of the country, same difference IMO, it is about comfort or at least perceived comfort. A problem would exist if a coach refused to play or recruit a player due to race, religion, orientation or some other identifying factor. It's possible a player has experienced discrimination in that form somewhere along the line and it affected him. People, have, do and will discriminate against a group, there is no way to completely eliminate it or even prove it in most cases. I once managed a law firm in an Ivy League community and the senior partner would not even interview a lawyer from an Ivy League School. Said they were book smart but lousy in court, and not aggressive. I never could figure out why he felt that way, he just did and that was that. We closed our doors on several qualified, intelligent candidates because of our owner and his generalizations.

I just look at it as a good thing that players are no longer beating around the bush to protect fragile ready to be outraged white peoples feelings.

Most of the players are black, good for them for finally saying it that they want to play for a black coach, if that’s important to them.

If most of the players are black, most of the coaches should be black.
I don't like looking at race in determining things. The best players should play regardless of their race religion etc and same goes for coaches.

Hate to drive the race discussion off-topic, but if my math is correct (and the players we assume are departing do indeed depart), that would leave us with another 4+ scholarships available while nearly all of the playing time is already spoken for. I'm not sure that's really a good recipe for adding more transfers. I mean, it's not a great recipe for incoming freshmen either, but I guess we'll see. Going to be an interesting few weeks here.

Hate to drive the race discussion off-topic, but if my math is correct (and the players we assume are departing do indeed depart), that would leave us with another 4+ scholarships available while nearly all of the playing time is already spoken for. I'm not sure that's really a good recipe for adding more transfers. I mean, it's not a great recipe for incoming freshmen either, but I guess we'll see. Going to be an interesting few weeks here.
Definitely not a good thing. That recipe likely leads to reaches and taking chances on guys who likely aren't good enough to play at this level. Could certainly be wrong but guys in the portal probably aren't leaving their school looking for a spot where they are going to have to battle dudes to get 10 mins.

Someone also posted on twitter, a 5 star Center at IMG that is uncommitted, Efton Reid
Like, Benny make a pitch to join ya
I would love Efton Reid, but that is not happening. Efton was teammates with Woody Newton on Team Takeover. At the last EYBL in Atlanta (pre-Covid), I sat next to Efton's mom (the bird call lady-- she is known for a sound she makes for her son) and she told me then about Woody wanting to commit to Syracuse (pre-announcement). She said Woody and his parents loved Syracuse. At that time, it sounded like Virginia would be the favorite for Efton. Fast forward to the present.. Virginia is still in the running, but so is FSU, Ohio State, and yes, Pitt. He is announcing April 15th, so I don't see Syracuse jumping in this late and pulling a top 20 recruit and one of the top centers in the class. We know Benny is still all Orange, but is Woody?

Some interesting opinions on this thread that I'm surprised people had the guts to say out loud but hey, to each their own... The last 10 or so months has been a great time for reading and reflection for some of us, but apparently not all.

I would love Efton Reid, but that is not happening. Efton was teammates with Woody Newton on Team Takeover. At the last EYBL in Atlanta (pre-Covid), I sat next to Efton's mom (the bird call lady-- she is known for a sound she makes for her son) and she told me then about Woody wanting to commit to Syracuse (pre-announcement). She said Woody and his parents loved Syracuse. At that time, it sounded like Virginia would be the favorite for Efton. Fast forward to the present.. Virginia is still in the running, but so is FSU, Ohio State, and yes, Pitt. He is announcing April 15th, so I don't see Syracuse jumping in this late and pulling a top 20 recruit and one of the top centers in the class. We know Benny is still all Orange, but is Woody?
I bet he goes to Pitt

Good stuff, great insight

Guard depth...take a flyer on him and worse case he transfers out. 6'5 and can score...way more upside then someone like Chaz. Highly doubt we can get a big time guard to come this year.

Guard depth...take a flyer on him and worse case he transfers out. 6'5 and can score...way more upside then someone like Chaz. Highly doubt we can get a big time guard to come this year.

Agreed. Have to believe there’s a guard out there that’s decent that would come here. We’ll have a spot available. We’re a rolled ankle from a guard away from being pretty screwed, assuming Griff is gone.

Mike doesn't mention Rodgers...someone asked him about it on Twitter and he said Lands probably took his spot at SF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom