Are we asleep on NIL? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Are we asleep on NIL?

Is the school allowed to partner with Tucker and 44? Tucker gets his name cut, school gets its 44 revenue. To me? This is the only reason he wouldn't get 44. School wants its cut, and they won't surrender 44 revenue to him.
That's murky for sure, but that may be a bridge too far. This is about players profiting from their name and likeness - not sure how official licensing factors in.

If Tucker gets the number 44, does he gets cut on every jersey or t- with the #44 on it even without his name? He would be associated with the number.

Cuse will allow its logo...

If there is a Tucker 44 jersey? How would that NOT cut into University 44 sales? Without a partnership? If that's even allowed? NO WAY they surrender that $$ to him. Hence, "it's complicated." Not about tradition. It's $$. If they lose 1 cent? No 44. IF they get the same cut? 44.

University owns the 44 brand. (They don't have to pay anyone for it) . Its a brand.

Last edited:
Tucker doesn't strike me as a speaker, but I would think there will be opportunties for him to, at the least, appear in print adds, on billboards, etc for local businesses. It wouldn't surprise me if he waited until after the season to do stuff like that, given the time constraints within the season.

Is the school allowed to partner with Tucker and 44? Tucker gets his name cut, school gets its 44 revenue. To me? This is the only reason he wouldn't get 44. School wants its cut, and they won't surrender 44 revenue to him.
Might be quite the contrary. Syracuse is one of only two or three schools in the entire country who are doing deals WITH the players so they can use the mark of the university as officially licensed merchandise. Then both parties make out.

Might be quite the contrary. Syracuse is one of only two or three schools in the entire country who are doing deals WITH the players so they can use the mark of the university as officially licensed merchandise. Then both parties make out.
And in regards to the 44, they could make the deal so that he can only sell 44 jerseys with NIL as a mutual deal so they get their cut as well. The 34 tees they are selling right now are a mutual deal and are getting a cut as it is. No reason they couldn’t make it work.

That would be AWESOME. I know they can use the logo(good). IF they CAN partner in a 44 jersey? Going to sell a TON more. School and Tucker make more.

Is a school allowed to partner in Jersey Sales? My guess is no, or every school would have players jerseys in the pro shop. Wouldnt there have to be a players union, and national contract?

Can Tucker pay a licensing Fee per Jersey? (School gets paid). Can Tucker merchandise be sold in a University owned retail outlet? This, is where "its complicated"

I ABSOLUTELY hope I'm wrong on all counts. He deserves 44. We deserve to see him wear it.

Last edited:
And in regards to the 44, they could make the deal so that he can only sell 44 jerseys with NIL as a mutual deal so they get their cut as well. The 34 tees they are selling right now are a mutual deal and are getting a cut as it is. No reason they couldn’t make it work.
School is getting a cut? Assumed or proven?

Brandon Steiner is a Cuse guy and a sports marketer. He already sells a bunch of Cuse memorabilia with JAB and Melo autographs, among other stuff. It would seem a natural fit for him to get involved with Buddy, Sean or whomever.

name image or likeness rule would not simply apply to the #44 or any other number.

none I know of. SU is doing everything they can and are allowed to. Those million dollar deals and free cars have nothing to do with the schools (or aren’t supposed to). They are businesses dealing with the kids.
I think DJ from clemson had a couple national deals but I'm not sure if he has them anymore, he was in Dr. Pepper and I think a southern fast food chain

I think DJ from clemson had a couple national deals but I'm not sure if he has them anymore, he was in Dr. Pepper and I think a southern fast food chain

This is correct and is the only ACC player to have national deals at the time of preseason.

Would expect Tucker to get some offers in the off-season nationally. Most of your national deals get brokered off a "what you did for me last year" type of deal. Hard to get to those terms during a season and find time to shoot commercials.

Thanks for the link but the only jerseys I’m seeing on their website is 44. They do have Tucker tees but I’m not seeing his jersey.
There are no jerseys at this point. Its just tees.

i think either. Some players have marketing agents that do the work for them. What we need is a local dealership to reach a deal with Tucker and give him a car. :)
Think it needs to be a Ram. For obvious reasons!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom