Are we out of gas? | Syracusefan.com

Are we out of gas?

I do think they've hit a rough patch stamina-wise. Fair has barely sat in conference play. Grant and Ennis are not far behind. Really hoping they can get a few more minutes off on Wednesday.

Jb has been giving everyone but CJ more time off, by using G more. Grant, Cooney, and Ennis all played 36 or less. Jb isn't going to play a key guy for less than that, and never has.

A combo of things to me. Getting teams best shot like gilardino said, playing a lot of minutes, the attention from the press, schoolwork, and being a college kid regarding sleep habits/eating and who knows if there is some parting going on.

SmilinBob said:
A combo of things to me. Getting teams best shot like gilardino said, playing a lot of minutes, the attention from the press, schoolwork, and being a college kid regarding sleep habits/eating and who knows if there is some parting going on.
I hope they save their partying for April. It will be worth the wait.

We have the look of a team that's running on empty.

Impressive performances create more optimism than miracle finishes.

I think it was mental fatigue with Ennis, his focus was off. Kid was coming off a huge high.
A lot of things he doesn't do.

Fair, physical.

The other guys seem fine.

I think JB needs to think about shutting it down other than treatments until Tuesday. Let them all get a break.

I think the post titled "Best February Swoon Ever" says it all.

We usually go through a rough patch around this time of year and then, when we are good, bounce back at conference tourney time and in the NCAAs.

This team will find its "second-wind" at some point prior to the NCAAs.

Cheers,
Neil

Impressive performances create more optimism than miracle finishes.
nah, we just need new plugs and we'll be fine

We will not win a NC at this pace, playing 6-7 guys. Its not so much playing a short bench in the Dance itself- but leading up to it. JB understandably has a win now, win today focus. As fans we have the luxury to look ahead, & frankly I'm nervous about this pace.
An exhausted CJ vs some pumped up, peaking mid-major is not a good scenario to contemplate.
Playing Roberson for 40 seconds, under these circumstances, seems short-sighted and dumb, IMO. We're starting to drag, and at some point the mind may be willing, but the flesh might be weak.

We aren't tired. We play 2 games a week. There is always an ebb and flow. We are 25-0 and haven't dominated teams all year. Were we tired against St Francis? We were fortunate to win that game. Guy goes to the line up 3 with the 2 shots and the next second we are down 1 after he misses both and then fouls on the rebound. Go back and look at the season.

This is who we are. We play to our competition. Cornell could have beat us as well, were we gasses back then? This is just Syracuse being Syracuse. Enjoy the ride and keep the depends close.

I'm glad I keep seeing this thread. My wife had the car yesterday and I'm sure she didn't refill. The thread title keeps reminding me to allot extra time. :)

We will not win a NC at this pace, playing 6-7 guys. Its not so much playing a short bench in the Dance itself- but leading up to it. JB understandably has a win now, win today focus. As fans we have the luxury to look ahead, & frankly I'm nervous about this pace.
An exhausted CJ vs some pumped up, peaking mid-major is not a good scenario to contemplate.
Playing Roberson for 40 seconds, under these circumstances, seems short-sighted and dumb, IMO. We're starting to drag, and at some point the mind may be willing, but the flesh might be weak.
Funny, come NCAAT take a look at the boxscores, and you will see most coaches follow the JB model of playing only 7-8 guys. Reason being, when your season is on the line, you go down swinging with your best guys.

All these last 2 games were was C.J. having off nights.

The problem with last night was everyone but Rak had an off night and Syracuse still won.

The reason Syracuse is winning these games is b/c of how many talented players are on the team offensively. How many teams win a game where 4 of their scorers have off nights?

we have 3 players (fair,ennis,grant) in the top five ACC conference only minutes per game leaders.
(the other 2 are irish)

Last edited:
I love the concept that Boeheim doesn't realize there is an NCAA tournament coming up. He's been doing this for a while, I think he can manage the team.

not at all, we are getting everyones best shot
I have a slightly hard time believing that Clemson, ND, and NCST all gave us their best shot. We win but we are ugly doing it most nights.

I think this is a classic SU team that is good enough to go where ever they want to. Sometimes kids need a dose of in your face motivation, bulletin board headlines or emotional 'win one for the gipper' speeches if you will. I don't think JB has ever been big on that form of motivation. This time of the year kids are sore and often have season long injuries constantly nagging at them, it's easy not to be 100% motivated. When you have a coach who expects you to come prepared to play like a professional then things like our current level of play become reasonable to understand. IMO, our February swoon's are part of that style of coaching. The good news is that we are winning when we could easily be losing.

JB commented on three games in seven days. Next week, we'll have three games in five days including Duke and two away games. If we're tired, it'll show.

I agree and think this is part of but not all of it. Fair is the only one on the team that is used to getting sustained starters minutes for any length of the schedule. And, there's evidence of fatigue in some of the laziness of play at times. I still think this team can fight through it. Mike G obviously is going to be a huge part of things for at least the next few games and when Keita returns it will take some of the "stress" out of the lineup. My biggest concern at this point is that, as fatigue mounts athletes become increasingly prone to injury. What if the bug gets Fair or Ennis? Keita out for six or seven games is nothing compared to losing one of those two. I try not second guess one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game but if it were up to me, I'd be pushing 20+ minutes to Mike G, 12-15 to Roberson and maybe even a few minutes to Buss if possible, through the end of the regular season. It may mean a few extra mistakes, an upset and a loss but the ultimate goal would remain intact.

Last edited:
They've been playing and practicing together since late August. No doubt they're fatigued. They hit a wall in late December. Even the players commented on it. Looks like they've hit another wall now. We had close games against inferior opponents before but in most of those games, we jumped out to a lead and then relaxed and let them back in it. Now we're scratching and clawing just to stay even. Did we have a bigger lead than 2 pts vs. NCSU?

If these guys make it to April, their season will be as long as the NBA season. Hope they can gut it out. This team is really special.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom