Are we targeting the wrong areas. Wrong kids because. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Are we targeting the wrong areas. Wrong kids because.

Haha. Good ol 90 minute drive for that one.

How far were the ones in the article Tomcat posted? Others off the top of my head were Tyus Battle and Nerlon Noels. Were they 90 mins? On homes aren’t as much a thing as they were in the past. Plus not everything is in the media. Can anyone point to another coach who’s doing in homes with all their recruits and it’s publicized?

If you look at long term, big picture….it’s absolutely stunning how we dropped off at PG.

Pearl-Sherman-Autry-Lloyd-Sims-Hart-Griffin-McNamara-Flynn-Triche-Scoop-Ennis-MCW

vs.

Joseph-Gbinije-Gillon-Howard-Carey-Girard

30 years of mostly good-great PG play(I left out like 2 seasons where we had to “scrap” at the position)

vs.

8 years of mostly subpar play at PG, where the only guys who truly got the job done were a 5th year senior forward(it’s like if we had to put Billy Owens at PG or something) who was a great all around player playing out of position because we had no one else, and a 5th year grad transfer one year rental - and even with him we wasted the first 2 months of his one season here by trying Howard over and over.
Well, when you put it like that, sure

generally, one-dimensional players cant be featured stars, the needs of recruiting to the zone kinda make that more likely, unfortuantely...

would like to see more "basketball players" brought in instead of pieces that fit the zone a la chukwu...

at guard, need to be able to drive AND shoot AND play D. 3 point shooting without penetrating scoring guards is easily rendered toothless...its easy to see why 3 point shooters were brought in...previous guards/teams werent good enough shooters...but hard to understand why more versatile guards werent brought in...

magic johnson and penny hardaway are kinda rare players...but easy to see why a a player like MCW had so much success at SU...I think Quadir can be very impactful and thats why he was recruited...
I think we can probably simplify recruiting at all our positions down to this (and I'd add in finishing at the rim and passing as a 4th and 5th). Finding guys that check every box, or even 4/5 and then getting them to Syracuse is pretty much impossible. I think you're probably looking for guys that strongly check 2 or kinda check 3. Unfortunately our roster is (and was this year) mostly made up of 1/5's.

Joe: 1 (shooting)
Buddy: 1 (shooting)
Jimmy: 2 (shooting and finishing)
Cole: 1 or 2 (shooting and maybe finishing?)
Jesse: 2 (finishing and defense)
Symir: 1 or 2 (driving and maybe passing)
Ansalem: 1 or 2 (finishing and maybe defense)
Benny: 1 (finishing)

Incoming (going to be generous here and basically just list the possible traits):
Quadir: 0-3 (driving, finishing, passing)
Bunch: 0-2 (shooting, defense)
Taylor: 0-2 (shooting, finishing)
And I have no idea on Brown and Carey as I haven't seen them play outside of the random Instagram clips that get posted here.

How far were the ones in the article Tomcat posted? Others off the top of my head were Tyus Battle and Nerlon Noels. Were they 90 mins? On homes aren’t as much a thing as they were in the past. Plus not everything is in the media. Can anyone point to another coach who’s doing in homes with all their recruits and it’s publicized?
We have had a pandemic and 2 Presidents since Ty. My point is i dont think JIm gets out much and certainly not to the homes of prospects. Maybe Covid related who knows what i do know is that we are missing on most of our targets.

We have had a pandemic and 2 Presidents since Ty. My point is i dont think JIm gets out much and certainly not to the homes of prospects. Maybe Covid related who knows what i do know is that we are missing on most of our targets.
2 of the best players JB ever had he didn't recruit. DC was by Dave Bing, and Rony walked in and wanted to play basketball.

Missing on all of our targets? We just signed a 5 man class 3 of whom we targeted early. If you want to say we missed out on our 5 star targets, fine. But we didn’t miss on most of our targets.

In conclusion, Jim Boeheim has been a very good coach for 46 years. We thank him for what he has done for Syracuse University and the basketball program. Like Mike Krzyzewski, Lute Olson, Roy Williams, Dean Smith, etc., it is time for him to retire.

That’s why our recruiting has been sub par. I listen to the recruits quotes about JB not getting out much to see them.

Now we have been getting a bunch of one dimensional players who need to develop for a few years, and guards who can shoot but can’t dribble, or dribble but can’t shoot. Guards are everything in basketball. We are playing from behind before tipoff.

That’s why our recruiting has been sub par. I listen to the recruits quotes about JB not getting out much to see them.

Now we have been getting a bunch of one dimensional players who need to develop for a few years, and guards who can shoot but can’t dribble, or dribble but can’t shoot. Guards are everything in basketball. We are playing from behind before tipoff.

I haven’t heard any recruits say that.

I haven’t heard any recruits say that.
I read it . Im sure other people here have too. It was within the last year or two. I forgot the exact names of the recruits.

Missing on all of our targets? We just signed a 5 man class 3 of whom we targeted early. If you want to say we missed out on our 5 star targets, fine. But we didn’t miss on most of our targets.
Targeting whom early from this list?

Justin Taylor - 108 overall (247), ESPN Grade 82
Chris Bunch - 96 overall (247), ESPN Grade 82
Peter Carey - 264 overall (247), ESPN Grade 79
Maliq Brown - 235 overall (247), ESPN Grade 79
Quadir Copeland - 143 overall (247), ESPN Grade 82

Taylor is the only one that visited early (June 9), and was the only one that was given a committable offer right away.

Those others were not prioritized. They were offered as plan B for Lands (who committed then decommitted), Clingan, Filipowski, and pick your guard (Westry, Dior, Cruz, Gayle, Starling). But those offers when made weren't committable. You know that.

The priorities were and should have been:

Filipowski, Clingan, Lands, Westry, Dior, Cruz, Gayle, Starling, in no particular order, with Taylor being the 5th guy in a class. Not being the crown jewel.

We did miss out on most of our top targets. And we then went to plan B (or C with a couple) with the rest. Your take is not accurate.

Yeah so those were what, 8-10 years ago? You actually make a great point and it lines up perfectly with when put recruiting classes began to deteriorate.

Yeah so those were what, 8-10 years ago? You actually make a great point and it lines up perfectly with when put recruiting classes began to deteriorate.

Battle wasn’t 8-10 years ago and again, we may not know about all in homes. How many times do you read about in homes from any coach? And Jackson was 3 years ago. The following year there were no i homes due to COVID. Maybe more than a year.

If you thought lack of recruiting in home was scary, you should have seen JBs reluctance to learn how to text recruits. Wanted no part of it until a couple of years ago. He’s gonna do things his way that’s for sure
Wow, we have entered Joe Paterno territory who I heard didn't have a computer and psu email. An example of why it is not wise to have someone of the this age trying to run a major program, you just can't adapt as quickly.

Targeting whom early from this list?

Justin Taylor - 108 overall (247), ESPN Grade 82
Chris Bunch - 96 overall (247), ESPN Grade 82
Peter Carey - 264 overall (247), ESPN Grade 79
Maliq Brown - 235 overall (247), ESPN Grade 79
Quadir Copeland - 143 overall (247), ESPN Grade 82

Taylor is the only one that visited early (June 9), and was the only one that was given a committable offer right away.

Those others were not prioritized. They were offered as plan B for Lands (who committed then decommitted), Clingan, Filipowski, and pick your guard (Westry, Dior, Cruz, Gayle, Starling). But those offers when made weren't committable. You know that.

The priorities were and should have been:

Filipowski, Clingan, Lands, Westry, Dior, Cruz, Gayle, Starling, in no particular order, with Taylor being the 5th guy in a class. Not being the crown jewel.

We did miss out on most of our top targets. And we then went to plan B (or C with a couple) with the rest. Your take is not accurate.

Taylor, Bunch, Copeland, Flip, Clingan, Westry all visited the same month, June of 21. Bunch was offered before Lands. Bunch, Taylor and Copeland were all offered before Flip. Clingan and JJ were camp offers in 19. You must believe you only offer and take visits from the exact number of players you’re gonna bring in?

Taylor, Bunch, Copeland, Flip, Clingan, Westry all visited the same month, June of 21. Bunch was offered before Lands. Bunch, Taylor and Copeland were all offered before Flip. Clingan and JJ were camp offers in 19. You must believe you only offer and take visits from the exact number of players you’re gonna bring in?
There’s a difference between offers. Copeland was not a priority. He was given a conditional offer and visited early because he wanted SU. We can debate about Bunch but if Lands stays committed, he isn’t coming here. That’s not a priority offer. Taylor is the only guy who had a committable offer in June.

Last edited: