Are we targeting the wrong areas. Wrong kids because. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Are we targeting the wrong areas. Wrong kids because.

Who cares? You’re still wrong about us getting top priority recruits no matter what little nitpicks you want to bring up about my posts.

You’re all tangled in knots. I responded to a post that said we missed on most of our targets. That post was wrong and still is. Your responses were factually wrong.

Where did I defend anything? (Although I like the class). How good or bad the class is isn’t what my post was. Of course people will now make it what they want like they do to many posts every day.
You brought up tyus battle (committee 7 years ago) and nerlens Noel who committed to Kentucky 10 years ago.

Who cares? You’re still wrong about us getting top priority recruits no matter what little nitpicks you want to bring up about my posts.
Right if those are our top priority, thats an indication of a mis-evaluation or indictment that our recruiting level has dropped.

I feel like this could be said for nearly every class since 2016

You brought up tyus battle (committee 7 years ago) and nerlens Noel who committed to Kentucky 10 years ago.

Yea I did but that’s not what this string of posts is about at all. You must be confused. Btw, I also brought up Jackson who committed 3 years ago before covid started.

Yea I did but that’s not what this string of posts is about at all. You must be confused. Btw, I also brought up Jackson who committed 3 years ago before covid started.

You were defending Jim like you always do. And you brought up tyus and Noel of people he did in home visits with. Both over 7 years ago. You later brought up Jackson. But in the last 5 years we have had just as many guys transfer out then we have had finish there career at Syracuse. We have missed on a TON of recruits. Our best players have been kids that have transferred in. We are not recruiting very good, and that is okay to acknowledge.

Since 2016

9 kids transferred out.

10- Freshman that have started and finished with us (to be continued)

Battle, Sidibe, dolezaj, brisset (2 years -NBA), Buddy, Girard, Edwards, frank (to be continued), jba (might transfer), Benny

You were defending Jim like you always do. And you brought up tyus and Noel of people he did in home visits with. Both over 7 years ago. You later brought up Jackson. But in the last 5 years we have had just as many guys transfer out then we have had finish there career at Syracuse. We have missed on a TON of recruits. Our best players have been kids that have transferred in. We are not recruiting very good, and that is okay to acknowledge.

Still not what this latest discussion was about. But stay confused.

Still not what this latest discussion was about. But stay confused.
I’m not confused!! You can have different conversations within a thread. I was on page 4. I didn’t feel like going back to page 1 to find and reply to your comment. It’s okay that you do not have a point to make, but I am not confused.

You’re all tangled in knots. I responded to a post that said we missed on most of our targets. That post was wrong and still is. Your responses were factually wrong.
You’re tangled in a web of denial. I’m pretty consistent with my thoughts and you know them. You still haven’t answered questions posed regarding this recruiting class and the past 8 years. But that’s OK.

I’m not confused!! You can have different conversations within a thread. I was on page 4. I didn’t feel like going back to page 1 to find and reply to your comment. It’s okay that you do not have a point to make, but I am not confused.

Yes you can have different convos in a thread. You commented on the convo about recruiting targets with a response about in home visits which was another convo.

You’re tangled in a web of denial. I’m pretty consistent with my thoughts and you know them. You still haven’t answered questions posed regarding this recruiting class and the past 8 years. But that’s OK.

More pivoting.

Agreed. Its semantics. We have however missed on our top targets the last 3-5 years. Have we landed some good players. Sure. But we haven't landed our top targets. If im wrong please name the guys we have landed that have been our A listers.

Yes, theres some truth to this. They try to target more of a fit than a talent and its from a limited radius which leads to few offers given out on a yearly basis, 15-20 would be alot from SU.

By comparison new Power5 coaches, like Beard, Oates, Musselman, they will offer easily double that, 35-45 to the best players from around the country and go beyond their regional comfort zone. It depends on how much time you want to allot to try to build relationships. It doesnt help when the HC is on cruise control and just going through the motions at this point in his career.
This is THE BIGGEST part of it. The other HUGE part is the weird shoe horning of players into positions they don’t play. And third trading athleticism for skill. You’re telling me TCU doesn’t have both?!?

Where did I defend anything? (Although I like the class). How good or bad the class is isn’t what my post was. Of course people will now make it what they want like they do to many posts every day.
You said we didn't miss out on most of our priority recruits.

That's not true.

Let's rank the individuals the coaching staff thought we had a chance with:

Dior Johnson - Guard - #28 overall ESPN
JJ Starling - Guard - #17 overall ESPN
Donovan Clingan - Center - #51 overall ESPN
Kamari Lands - Forward - #39 overall ESPN
Chance Westry - Guard/Forward - #32 overall ESPN
Kyle Filipowski - Forward/Center - #5 overall ESPN
Roddy Gayle - Guard - #57 overall ESPN
Zion Cruz - Guard - #72 overall ESPN

That's eight guys, all rated in the Top 75 nationally. We got zero of them.

With the exception of Taylor, we did not get a single guy that was our first choice at any position. And in multiple cases we didn't get the top two or three choices we had.

How is that not missing out on the majority of our priority recruits this year? Your argument holds no water.

I will add an additional nugget to this as well. George Mason - GEORGE MASON - who went 14-16 this year and finished 8th in the Atlantic 10 - has the top player on the prep team that two of our current commits play for. Dayton, VCU, and Boise State have players committed that are higher ranked than our best player in this class.

You said we didn't miss out on most of our priority recruits.

That's not true.

Let's rank the individuals the coaching staff thought we had a chance with:

Dior Johnson - Guard - #28 overall ESPN
JJ Starling - Guard - #17 overall ESPN
Donovan Clingan - Center - #51 overall ESPN
Kamari Lands - Forward - #39 overall ESPN
Chance Westry - Guard/Forward - #32 overall ESPN
Kyle Filipowski - Forward/Center - #5 overall ESPN
Roddy Gayle - Guard - #57 overall ESPN
Zion Cruz - Guard - #72 overall ESPN

That's eight guys, all rated in the Top 75 nationally. We got zero of them.

With the exception of Taylor, we did not get a single guy that was our first choice at any position. And in multiple cases we didn't get the top two or three choices we had.

How is that not missing out on the majority of our priority recruits this year? Your argument holds no water.

I will add an additional nugget to this as well. George Mason - GEORGE MASON - who went 14-16 this year and finished 8th in the Atlantic 10 - has the top player on the prep team that two of our current commits play for. Dayton, VCU, and Boise State have players committed that are higher ranked than our best player in this class.
While I don’t miss the point of your post, the staff knew they had little to no shot at Zion, Flip or Clingan. And Kamari and Dior actually committed.

I think covid messed with all of these kids games and rankings. I think 3 stars can become 5 star players and vice versa. Although this class may seem weaker than we would have wanted and yes next year may be tough, having 5 athletes may really be a great thing 2 seasons from now. We all want to win now but NIL, ncaa, gleague...i am not a mark my words guy, but wr will start seeing more st. Peters type and kentucky type results. 3 or 4 year classes of solid players will make runs in the ncaa more and more. Our class coming in, assuming wrongly that some dont portal, can be a very good team come 2024 tourney...yeah this may be a stupid outlook but i think syracuse did fine w this class. We missed out on studs but studs can be duds. We seem to have acquired guys who want to play hard (maybe not bunch?) And do the dirty hustling things that win games.

Sorry for the rant

Nailed it.

images

I just have to chuckle reading this thread.

I just don't get what part of not getting it done on the court and freshman who arent ready or good enough for the ACC is absolved by there being some effort still on the recruiting trail. So we should celebrate and honor the staff trying hard in the eyes of some even if it's not at the same level as our competition?

End of the day if we aren't getting results commensurate with the programs goals and stature then there isn't much to celebrate or defend. That is an objective statement to which feels is argued too much. We certainly can debate the cause but the results are what they are.