Are you kidding Me??? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Are you kidding Me???

???

• Poll choice...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Poll choice...

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Well, at least face offs weren't a problem.

And the man-up unit looked good.

Wardwell had a forgettable outing.

Faceoffs were pretty good but we hit a lull in the third quarter and lost like 5-6 straight, probably lost the game during that stretch. Agree on Wardwell, phew man he was pretty bad, I dont expect a lot of doorstop saves but man he looked lost. Going to need to do something about the long poles not named Megill or Mullins, Fazio and Carey were an absolute disaster today. Liked what I saw from Donahue and Marasco, other then that offense was just as bad despite the 15 goals. Nothing from Lecky as usual and Maltz was unfortunately quiet. Rice and Ward need to step it up or there going to be buried on the bench, Donahue probably allready grabbed a spot, interested to see what we could get from Powderly.

Faceoffs were pretty good but we hit a lull in the third quarter and lost like 5-6 straight, probably lost the game during that stretch. Agree on Wardwell, phew man he was pretty bad, I dont expect a lot of doorstop saves but man he looked lost. Going to need to do something about the long poles not named Megill or Mullins, Fazio and Carey were an absolute disaster today. Liked what I saw from Donahue and Marasco, other then that offense was just as bad despite the 15 goals. Nothing from Lecky as usual and Maltz was unfortunately quiet. Rice and Ward need to step it up or there going to be buried on the bench, Donahue probably allready grabbed a spot, interested to see what we could get from Powderly.

Also Cometti is a complete enigma, looks great on a tough fall away shot one second then looks completely lost the next. He had two good goals but dropped two doorstep passes and had at least 2 horrific turnovers.

Both Powderly and DeJoe saw action on the man-up unit.

Lecky was on the 2nd midfield line.

Both Powderly and DeJoe saw action on the man-up unit.

Lecky was on the 2nd midfield line.

Saw Dejoe, he had a bad turnover late, the announcers were all over Desko that he was playing. Surprised Walters cant get any run on the regular midfield line. I have had enough with the Lecky hype, he makes Jovan Miller look like Rob Panell.

Loyola and Virginia both won in OT against lesser opponents. Good teams find a way to win.

Loyola and Virginia both won in OT against lesser opponents. Good teams find a way to win.
I thought we had found a way to win too. We just didn't pull it off.

A few thoughts in the aftermath:
1. The Thompsons are special. Have to give credit where credit is due. I chatted with Army coach Joe Alberici at halftime and he was in awe of what he was watching. That trio went on some amazing runs in scrimmages against Colgate and Cornell. Whether the Thompsons are enough to carry them to greatness remains to be seen, as the rest of the team is average at best, but they are all that.
2. The backside slide by Megill was not the right play. Bad decision by a senior captain, although understandable in the heat of the moment.
3. I wouldn't put too much into what John was overheard saying at one point in OT. They ran at least four different sets in the first one from what I saw, and each produced a very good scoring chance. I think he was telling them to simply stick with the same sequence. As good as JoJo was - and face it, he carried the team from the midfield, no easy task - he should have felt the double slide in the second OT, as it came very, very early. Somebody - probably two teammates - had to be wide open. Again, easy to second-guess in hindsight. Best game I've seen from him ever, though.
4. Marr said in the postgame there were no instructions given to the Thompsons in the second OT other than to give Lyle the ball. He laughed when asked about what play he had in mind.
4. SU could be in big trouble down low this year, as other coaches will surely duplicate Marr's strategy and shut off Derek Maltz. The loss of Galasso is HUGE in that regard, as he has Kenny Nims kind of vision and passing ability and also can create himself. I didn't see any of that in his absence.
5. Wardwell made 7 saves and yielded 16 goals, so you want to say he was bad, but the fact is other than the giveaway to Mil es on the doorstep I can't honestly say he did anything wrong. Those goals were all inside of 10 yards.
6. In a one-goal game SU simply had too many unforced errors. Several faceoff wins were followed by errant passes or missed passes that gave the ball right back to Albany. That negated SU's edge at the X. From my vantage point Albany played a cleaner game, much cleaner, in that regard although the final clearing stats don't prove it. Maybe that's because SU rode the Danes into mistakes at times, while the Orange miscues were simply unforced.
7. Despite the disappointing outcome I loved the up-and-down action and overall pace. Only two "keep it in" calls the entire game. Kudos to Desko and Marr for playing the game the way it should be played. I'd like to say it was due to the rule changes but will reserve judgment on that, as it is still too early to tell. Both teams wanted to run and would have done so regardless of the rules imo, but it was fun to watch even if it was exasperating for SU fans.

A few thoughts in the aftermath:
1. The Thompsons are special. Have to give credit where credit is due. I chatted with Army coach Joe Alberici at halftime and he was in awe of what he was watching. That trio went on some amazing runs in scrimmages against Colgate and Cornell. Whether the Thompsons are enough to carry them to greatness remains to be seen, as the rest of the team is average at best, but they are all that.
2. The backside slide by Megill was not the right play. Bad decision by a senior captain, although understandable in the heat of the moment.
3. I wouldn't put too much into what John was overheard saying at one point in OT. They ran at least four different sets in the first one from what I saw, and each produced a very good scoring chance. I think he was telling them to simply stick with the same sequence. As good as JoJo was - and face it, he carried the team from the midfield, no easy task - he should have felt the double slide in the second OT, as it came very, very early. Somebody - probably two teammates - had to be wide open. Again, easy to second-guess in hindsight. Best game I've seen from him ever, though.
4. Marr said in the postgame there were no instructions given to the Thompsons in the second OT other than to give Lyle the ball. He laughed when asked about what play he had in mind.
4. SU could be in big trouble down low this year, as other coaches will surely duplicate Marr's strategy and shut off Derek Maltz. The loss of Galasso is HUGE in that regard, as he has Kenny Nims kind of vision and passing ability and also can create himself. I didn't see any of that in his absence.
5. Wardwell made 7 saves and yielded 16 goals, so you want to say he was bad, but the fact is other than the giveaway to Mil es on the doorstep I can't honestly say he did anything wrong. Those goals were all inside of 10 yards.
6. In a one-goal game SU simply had too many unforced errors. Several faceoff wins were followed by errant passes or missed passes that gave the ball right back to Albany. That negated SU's edge at the X. From my vantage point Albany played a cleaner game, much cleaner, in that regard although the final clearing stats don't prove it. Maybe that's because SU rode the Danes into mistakes at times, while the Orange miscues were simply unforced.
7. Despite the disappointing outcome I loved the up-and-down action and overall pace. Only two "keep it in" calls the entire game. Kudos to Desko and Marr for playing the game the way it should be played. I'd like to say it was due to the rule changes but will reserve judgment on that, as it is still too early to tell. Both teams wanted to run and would have done so regardless of the rules imo, but it was fun to watch even if it was exasperating for SU fans.

Great points Dave, glad to have you on the board for this season, your insights are going to be greatly appreciated. I think your points about the Thompsons are well made, no sour grapes here but Albany isnt that great a team without them, it just shows how good those three are, kudos to them.

To me the two biggest concerns are close D (obviously) and the offense overall. I think we all knew the loss of Galasso would be huge and it has certainly reered its ugly head. I was encouraged what I saw out of Donahue, if he can be a player he should help open things up Maltz. I am still not sold on Ward or Rice, they look small and overmatched especially Ward, to bad Daniello is out as well really could use some new blood in the attack unit. I wonder if we see Powderly next week?

The midfield outside of Morasco is also an adventure. I thought Schoonmaker and Cometti were OK, but Luke had a couple bad turnovers and dropped at least two great passes on the doorstep. Still he had some nice goals which was a positive. I think the love affair with Lecky is pretty much at an end, kid maybe an incredible athlete but he looks lost out there. Really would like to see Walters or Grimm get some run at Midfield, Desko is going to need to try some new things here and fast or were going to be in it thick in a few weeks.

Syracuse doesn't have any offensive players than can take over a game. Marasco looks close to being that guy this year but he has zero help.

Defensively I'll wait to reserve judgement until I see what they do against lesser talented attackman. The Thompson clan is in a league of their own and clearly over matched our guys. Though, I did think the poles could've played better position D. As soon as the D lunged or made an aggressive move the Thompsons would go by them. The key with those guys is to move your feet and play position - don't try and take the ball away. Miles and Lyle are baiting the D and waiting for you to make a mistake.

Steve Beville, Jeff Tambroni and Mike Pressler would be my first, second and third choices to head up the Orange.

Let's face it Lelan has his work cut out for him this week getting the defense where it needs to be

Let's face it Lelan has his work cut out for him this week getting the defense where it needs to be

You aint kidding, unfortunately, the offense has its own set of problems. Desko is going to have to earn that salary this year because this team has issues that have to be resolved by next Sunday.

Give the Thompsons more credit than the bad SU D, I agree with the Jenkins assessment. Wardwell giving up the ball in the Cage seems to be forgotton in this 1 Goal game. I thought the Coppell Guy was going to be the hero near the end of Regulation, and Daddio winning the FO'S and then throwing the ball away at least 3 times :mad::bang:

Give the Thompsons more credit than the bad SU D, I agree with the Jenkins assessment. Wardwell giving up the ball in the Cage seems to be forgotton in this 1 Goal game. I thought the Coppell Guy was going to be the hero near the end of Regulation, and Daddio winning the FO'S and then throwing the ball away at least 3 times :mad::bang:

I was wondering if Wardwell was flipping the ball to his teammate thinking play was dead and it was going to be taken in from the end line. They both argued with the ref afterward. I'm not up on all the rule changes since I knew I wasn't taking a job with the new company and wonder if this was one of them. It sure looked as if he thought play was dead, but maybe I'm nuts.

We had like 15 shots on goal in OT and they had 1 and they win???
It looked like we had 6 50 year olds playing on the defensive end. LONG YEAR AHEAD
Its been a long while now since this lacrosse team has looked formidable. Is it the players or coaching? Personally I think its the latter.The defense was terrible allowing the Danes to cut in fron of the goal and recive flips from aThompson for easy goalson anyone's watch in there.:bang:

I was wondering if Wardwell was flipping the ball to his teammate thinking play was dead and it was going to be taken in from the end line. They both argued with the ref afterward. I'm not up on all the rule changes since I knew I wasn't taking a job with the new company and wonder if this was one of them. It sure looked as if he thought play was dead, but maybe I'm nuts.

My thoughts exactly. Their reaction to the play told the story. Wardwell just didn't realize the play was live. Awful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom