Areas of concern for this year's team | Syracusefan.com

Areas of concern for this year's team

RF2044

Living Legend
It's slow, and I'm chomping at the bit for some football recruiting news, so I decided to post something to generate discussion about the team during a slow time.

Last year was an amazing finish, after a poor start. Won the bowl, but lost the majority of the coaching staff to the NFL. So how will this year's team perform?

I see five major problem areas heading into the season. How well the question marks get answered under each category will go a long way towards determining how the season unfolds.

QB
This sounds obvious, but quarterback is the most important position on the field. Not only did Nassib put up the most prolific season in program history last year, but he was the reason that we were able to GET to a bowl, producing some late game heroics in several wins.

Replacing a player of his caliber will not be easy. Terrell Hunt looked strong in spring ball, but has yet to take a snap in a regular season game. Charlie Loeb--considered by many to be the prohibitive front runner heading into the off-season before the coaching changes--looks like he's out of contention.

And the staff added Drew Allen, a transfer from Oklahoma who has one year of eligibility. Will Allen seize the reins and solidify the QB position post-Nassib? Or will Hunt not relinquish the spot he earned in spring ball? And will either player be "good enough" to help the team win and get back to a bowl?

OL
We saw how important having above average OL play can be to running a potent offense last year. We lost Justin Pugh and Zach Chibane to the offseason, both to the NFL, with Pugh translating his high level of performance into a first round selection.

This year, we return three starters. Hickey shifts from RT to LT, replacing Pugh. He performed well there early last season while Pugh was out, and should give us a standout at LT. Rob Trudo really came on at G after being inserted into the starting lineup. And Mackey is bigger / stronger, and ready to build off a great season last year.

After that, there are loads of question marks. Can untested Nick Robinson solidify the interior of the offensive line, and help open holes for the powerful run game? Can Ivan Foy--who started last season at RG before being supplanted by Trudo--make the shift to RT, and does he have the lateral mobility to effectively counter pass rush?

Behind that group, depth is also a question mark. Omari Palmer [G], Jason Emerich [C], and Kyle Knapp [OT] all redshirted last year, and will need to produce this season--even in a reserve capacity. Will JUCO recruits John Miller [interior lineman] and Michael Lasker [OT] provide depth and give us a full second unit?

BIG question marks here--figuratively and literally. We need the OL to not falter and continue the strong play from last year, which will help provide a safety cushion to the inexperienced QBs.

WR
Neither Alec Lemon nor Marcus Sales were burners, yet both turned in outstanding 1000 yard caliber seasons. Lemon in particular was highly attuned to Nassib, and was unstoppable at times at the end of games. That's a lot of productivity to replace.

Of the returnees, only Jarod West has significant playing time. He'll be relied upon to step into a bigger role this year, and I think he's up to the challenge.

Jeremiah Kobena flashed some at the beginning of last year before getting hurt. Can he stay healthy, and more importantly emerge as a deep threat playmaker? Chris Clark played some in a reserve capacity--can he demonstrate a bigger impact this year?

Speaking of "big," Qunita Funderburk [transfer from Arkansas] is a former four star recruit who hasn't seen much PT thus far in his career. Will he emerge as a difference maker, or will his potential go unfulfilled? And last year's frosh--Cornelius and Lewis--looked strong in preseason, but were subsequently redshirted. Will either [or both] emerge and give the new QB additional options?

Perhaps most importantly, who's the go-to guy in this group?

DE
We return a LOT of defensive talent / experience from last year's team. The interior of the DL looks loaded, and our linebacking corps has better depth than in a long time. Even though we replace important pieces in our secondary, the depth there should solidify that unit, as well.

The lone area of questionable performance on D appears to be at defensive end. Micah Robinson is a proven commodity at strongside defensive end. And Robert Welsh made big strides in spring--but was his performance a sign that he's coming on, or just indicative of him playing against a shaky offensive line [namely, ours]? Will either player be able to get upfield and make plays behind the line of scrimmage or pressuring the QB?

What [if anything] does Donny Simmons bring to the table? Does JUCO transfer Trejo get into the mix, or will he need a year to acclimate? How about Ron Thompson, a four star TE recruit who got shifted to DE this spring--will he be an impact player? Lastly, does Luke Arcinega--a JUCO linebacker with size--find a home at DE?

Big question marks at DE--the MPB situation really hurt the team.

Coaching
I'm very excited about our new staff. It is refreshing to see new blood, with tremendous enthusiasm on the recruiting trail, and the foundation of the class of 2014 they've begun to put together is impressive. But can these guys get it done on game day?

When Marrone and staff took over, they took a team comprised of mostly the same players that GRob struggled with and made them instantly tougher and more competitive. Will this staff prove to be cut from the same cloth, or will they struggle on the field despite the off the field [read: recruiting] promise?

Good post. In line with your thinking, my biggest question marks are the starting QB, Ivan Foy at tackle, and a 4 man pass rush (DE's). As for WR's, I would mention Adrian Flemming stepping up, and I'm hoping Ashton Broyld can be a playmaker in the passing game, even if he's not a traditional wideout...What about TE? Are we comfortable with the depth, talent, and experience here?

Ever the optimist I believe if the qb race works itself out the right way we will be a much stranger team than last year

Good post. In line with your thinking, my biggest question marks are the starting QB, Ivan Foy at tackle, and a 4 man pass rush (DE's). As for WR's, I would mention Adrian Flemming stepping up, and I'm hoping Ashton Broyld can be a playmaker in the passing game, even if he's not a traditional wideout...What about TE? Are we comfortable with the depth, talent, and experience here?

Great call out on Flemming--missed him entirely. Will also be interesting to see where / how Broyld is utilized.

Nice catches.

Great call out on Flemming--missed him entirely. Will also be interesting to see where / how Broyld is utilized.

Nice catches.

Flemming's an easy one to miss, considering he's usually been in street clothes or the trainer's room.

good post RF - I think our success depends entirely on the offensive line. Justin Pugh was a nasty SOB - and I mean that in the best possible way - he will be very difficult to replace.

i've been saying this for awhile but if allen or hunt are serviceable I see no reason why we cant reach or eclipse last year 1in/loss record. Our defense should be better and with the returning players I feel confident saying that. Not having Lemon hurts, but then again our running game is as good as its ever been here for a very long time. Need Aug 31st here ASAP.

Damn, that's a lot of areas for concern. I agree with them all. This could be a tough year, but I think we squeak to bowl eligibility.

Biggest concerns for me are ranked like this:
1. Ivan Foy-- have serious questions about his foot quickness.
2. Lack of pass rushing DEs-- I like Welsh but he is more of an effort guy. We need Trejo and Thomson to make an impact.
3. Lack of proven WR-- hopefully Flemming and maybe Funderbunk can step up and be reliable guys along with West.
4. Coaching-- people on here don't realize how good an offensive line/offensive coaches, Hackett and Marrone are. Until McDonald proves he can coach and call plays as good as he recruits ill be nervous.
5. QB- most important position in sports. If one of the guys has a great year we could have a special team. If they are bad, we will be average to below average.

I wouldn't be shocked if Foy moves back to guard and Knapp takes over at RT.

I'm most concerned about DE. Good post. Back in the day there used to be a lot more posts like it.

It's slow ...

Good post. If I'm ranking in order I would go this way:

1 -- QB (most important position, can help make up for other short-comings)
2 -- Coaching (Shafer unproven and McDonald a question mark the size of Texas in terms of putting an offense together, IMO)
3 -- OL (the engine that makes us go and a concern, but I like three returning starters with some decent prospects)
4 -- DE (I actually like Welsh and feel like maybe they can fiddle with alignments to try and generate a bit more pressure. Would have to think they might toy a bit with some 3-4 type alignments.)
5 -- WR (Feel like these guys tend to be pretty fungible if you're recruiting at a decent level. Kobena's a dark horse, IMO, to be a break-out, funderburk should give us something and between Clark/Broyld/Gulley/Flemming/Lewis/Cornelius/Cooper I have to think we can find some decent secondary options)

Our defense will do as well as our pressure off the edge. I think you rightly called out our DE's as a position of concern.

The proper term is champing at the bit.

I could say that your correction is a petty attempt at grammar policing, but that would derail a fine thread. Besides, both terms have been around for centuries and chomping will eventually supplant chomping. It's already considered just fine and perfectly acceptable. Google is your friend, my friend.

Have heard from someone on the team that the early report on the OL is underwhelming.

I think DE will be just fine. No proven talent doesn't mean its not there.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2

Damn, that's a lot of areas for concern. I agree with them all. This could be a tough year, but I think we squeak to bowl eligibility.

Don't get too down. Most teams have as many or more question marks this time of year and not all of them have the same amount of areas to feel completely extremely confident in (RB, DT, LB, CB). Strength + depth in those 4 positions alone will have us in a bowl game. How the rest of the question marks get answered will dictate how big said bowl game will be.

The forgotten man at DE at this point is Josh Manley. Not sure what we will or won't get from him this year but his name will not be forgotten by the time his career at SU is over.

Have heard from someone on the team that the early report on the OL is underwhelming.

Meaning depth or the starting 5? The depth is obviously very underwhelming considering we have only three scholarship linemen that weren't part of the 2013 recruiting class but if it was more a problem with the starting 5 that would be very worrisome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom