As things now come into focus | Syracusefan.com

As things now come into focus

Flacusian

All Conference
This certainly gives some credibility to those who have often said that JB should develop more of the bench throughout the season. As it turns out this team was more fragile than any of us could have imagined. Many posters cautioned how catastrophic it would be if Ennis were to get injured. Then we got a taste of just how fragile things were when Baye was out with his knee.

This team was winning by the slimmest of margins and apparently needed the best of each contributor to maintain it's winning ways. Sure there were nights when one or two of our starters had pretty off nights but there was always someone who stepped up and took on the mantle of carrying the team.

Now without Grant and with a compromised sense of invincibility we see all of the shortcomings of the team in full bloom. Cooney with tired legs and an ounce of doubt floating around in his brainpan becomes unable to make a shot for what seems like an eternity. And playing Baye and Christmas at the same time when we are scoring challenged certainly doesn't make any sense at all.

Just like tonight... all the scoring had to be done by Fair and Ennis. It's a miracle that CJ got as many points as he did with the other team knowing that was pretty much all we had as a scoring threat.

And now it just seems like any hope of this team getting it's winning swagger back is pretty slim at best. This is not last years team that was able to regroup and put on a very admirable run through the dance. This team was man handled at HOME by 2 of the worst teams in the ACC. BC and Georgia Tech!!!

Looking back I guess all the components for this happening were there for all to see. Still, it's a bitter pill to swallow after having basked in the euphoria of a team that rocketed up to #1 and seemed to have some type of magic that enabled them to dodge any bullet that came in their direction. But I don't think any of us could have seen it disintegrating so far so fast as it did. I'm really sad and dejected and I feel for CJ who must be experiencing a great deal of frustration and pressure. He played like a warrior tonight and he has been great all season.

In the end... those who have contented that a few more losses in the early going are worth the opportunity to develop your bench and thus provide some hope later in the season when your starting 5 are completely out of gas from giving their all for too many minutes in too many games. The time to have your team winning games is after you've played 28 to 30 games... not on the way to getting there. I have to believe that Tyler Roberson could have contributed more had he been given the opportunity. Perhaps not... but anything is better than watching your team collapse like a house of cards in a hurricane.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom