as usual minutes will be interesting to see | Syracusefan.com

as usual minutes will be interesting to see

upperdeck

Living Legend
First thing you have to do when you try to play 9 guys is get them to accept the minutes they will get.

In a perfect world you get the Mintz/JJ 30 min each and they both will want more..

that leaves 20 for the other 7 and some nights they will see more or less I suppose on the flow of the game and the style we want to see.

Becomes much easier if we can actually become a pressing team where guys will be on and off the floor more anyway.

I suspect Carey/Home become a sub as needed players often not playing at all.

if you take the 2 guards and go into the 35 range you are going to end up with 7 player rotation again.

But players like Bell/Taylor are gonna have nights where they play 5-10. Bell not shooting and not playing D and not rebounding is gonna be hard pressed to earn 20 min. Taylor gets into better spots be is a bit slow to play Guard in man against some teams and a bit small to play forward against some teams.. The faster pace on offense helps him though get into his shooting spots.

And this is before Westry comes back and then you have 10 trying to find time for.

140 min for 8 guys. If we are playing well it works it self out.

Cuffe intrigues me though .

Copeland is the out of control make things happen guy. The more helter skelter the game is the better he looks.

I said it last night with Bell, I could really see him struggling for minutes when Westry gets back. If he’s not making shots he’s a net negative. He’s not a good defender, can’t put the ball on the floor, and can’t rebound. I’m sure he’ll have games where he makes a ton of shots, but I’m not sure he’s a guy we can expect that from consistently.

First thing you have to do when you try to play 9 guys is get them to accept the minutes they will get.

In a perfect world you get the Mintz/JJ 30 min each and they both will want more..

that leaves 20 for the other 7 and some nights they will see more or less I suppose on the flow of the game and the style we want to see.

Becomes much easier if we can actually become a pressing team where guys will be on and off the floor more anyway.

if you take the 2 guards and go into the 35 range you are going to end up with 7 player rotation again.

But players like Bell/Taylor are gonna have nights where they play 5-10. Bell not shooting and not playing D and not rebounding is gonna be hard pressed to earn 20 min. Taylor gets into better spots be is a bit slow to play Guard in man against some teams and a bit small to play forward against some teams.. The faster pace on offense helps him though get into his shooting spots.

And this is before Westry comes back and then you have 10 trying to find time for.

Copeland is the out of control make things happen guy. The more helter skelter the game is the better he looks.
IMO, good players who are team oriented and who work hard don’t mind sharing minutes with good players who are team oriented and who work hard.

I think brown could be close to a lock for 30 mpg when healthy too. So I’d view it as more like 110 mins spread over the rest of the players. I also think cuffe is going to make a push for legit mins. Too early to say but the guys whose minutes could tricky are Taylor/bell. Too early to say that for sure though

seems every year we have at least 3 of the top 20 mpg. i don't know why this year with a new coach that can't stop. don't see a big drop-off in talent. i know judah didn't play but still is he going 36+ ? someone playing 40 against a nobodyeverheardof team ? not a great start. We have the bench this year to limit minutes. do we have the coach to do it ?

Last edited:
seems every year we have at least 3 of the top 20 mpg. i don't know why this year with a new coach that can't stop. someone playing 40 against a nobodyeverheardof ? not a great start.
Watch the presser and you’ll get your answer.

I said it last night with Bell, I could really see him struggling for minutes when Westry gets back. If he’s not making shots he’s a net negative. He’s not a good defender, can’t put the ball on the floor, and can’t rebound. I’m sure he’ll have games where he makes a ton of shots, but I’m not sure he’s a guy we can expect that from consistently.
Ive always been supportive of Bell and think he could be good, but Ive been on Team Westry since he announced his transfer. NBA player with clamps and vision.

IMO the most important thing for this team is that the guys on the court shoot 3s well and at a decent volume so we aren’t required to play a streaky Bell or Taylor every minute simply for the sake of opening driving lanes. That would result in more Westry and Copeland, and less of a problem when Bell or Taylor aren’t playing well.

Ive always been supportive of Bell and think he could be good, but Ive been on Team Westry since he announced his transfer. NBA player with clamps and vision.

IMO the most important thing for this team is that the guys on the court shoot 3s well and at a decent volume so we aren’t required to play a streaky Bell or Taylor every minute simply for the sake of opening driving lanes. That would result in more Westry and Copeland, and less of a problem when Bell or Taylor aren’t playing well.
Going to be an uphill battle for Westry to crack the rotation if he’s out for 6-8 weeks. We should think about this team without including him in the rotation.

Biggest challenge for coaches maybe keeping everyone happy - this is a deep team especially at guard and small forward for sure

Here's my thoughts.

All subject to 10 minute swings in either direction based on game, and swinging up or down a position spot while we play a bit bigger or smaller at any time. But these I think are decent default minutes

GUARD:
30 Judah (duh)
30 JJ (duh, also looks even more skilled and athletic than advertised)
20 Cuffe (best shooter, great defender, tough rebounder (4 boards!), and good ball handler needs time)

Wing:
20 JT (Good shooter, decent ball handler, can guard most 3's and some 4's, willing but not great rebounder)
20 Cope (Creator, 3rd legitimate guard ball handing and distributing skills, best passer on team, better rebounder than you think)

PF:
20 Benny (Good on boards, great energy, great effort on D, decent shooter)
10 Bell (Most 1 dimensional player on team but Can shoot it, particularly when guarded by slower opponents 4)

C:
30 Brown (duh, best rebounder on team, can guard most forwards and most centers, always in the right spot around the bucket to benefit from put back and guard penetration)
20 McCloud (size, rebounding and defense needed against legitimate top 10 bigs)

Here's my thoughts.

All subject to 10 minute swings in either direction based on game, and swinging up or down a position spot while we play a bit bigger or smaller at any time. But these I think are decent default minutes

GUARD:
30 Judah (duh)
20 Cuffe (best shooter, great defender, tough rebounder (4 boards!), and good ball handler needs time)

Wing:
20 JT (Good shooter, decent ball handler, can guard most 3's and some 4's, willing but not great rebounder)
20 Cope (Creator, 3rd legitimate guard ball handing and distributing skills, best passer on team, better rebounder than you think)

PF:
10 Bell (Most 1 dimensional player on team but Can shoot it, particularly when guarded by slower opponents 4)

C:
30 Brown (duh, best rebounder on team, can guard most forwards and most centers, always in the right spot around the bucket to benefit from put back and guard penetration)
This is about where I’m at.

Here's my thoughts.

GUARD:
30 Judah (duh)

Wing:

PF:

C:
I don’t see Brown playing 30 minutes a game those minutes will be shifted to the forwards and guards also

Here's my thoughts.

GUARD:
30 Judah (duh)

Wing:

PF:

C:

Yep. Then shuffle in Westry at some point when he gets back.

Watch the presser and you’ll get your answer.
I feel JJ getting 40 had to do with his first game in the dome with family present. He came back to play at his home town school. He could of went to a lot of places. Red rewarded him the first game. I do not see it happening again. In reality only Mintz should get 28 to 30. Some players JJ included 22 to 25. We need to make sure players have their legs underneath them at the end of the season unlike years past.

I don't think it's a given that Mintz and JJ will want more than 30 minutes. Guys care more about winning and seeing the ball when they're in the game than they do total minutes. Last year I made a list of player of the year candidates on good teams and quite a few weren't much over 30. Plenty of coaches make it work, and when guys are playing hard fast paced ball, they know they need a blow so they can keep up the intensity all game.

I agree in a perfect world.. It also is hard work for coaches to coach a team with lots of moving parts and play time. even Harder for a new head coach.

It's hard work, but people making boat loads of money are expected to do hard work. If the coach is liked by the players and they feel valued by him, they're much more likely to buy in. It sounds like AA may be that kind of guy, and it's not hard to see how other coaches make it work.

It's hard work, but people making boat loads of money are expected to do hard work. If the coach is liked by the players and they feel valued by him, they're much more likely to buy in. It sounds like AA may be that kind of guy, and it's not hard to see how other coaches make it work.

Jarace Walker got drafted 8th this year.
He averaged 27.6 mpg w Houston as a Frosh.
I'ma guess he was happy with how that all worked out.

Dereck Lively II got drafted 12th.
He averaged 20.6 mpg for Dook.
Ditto.

Keyonte George got drafted 16th.
Averaged 28.6 for Baylor.
Ditto.

So - it seems the trick here is to have a VERY talented player, and then play him an average of minutes that's in the 20's AND has a .6 in it, and he'll lead you to a very successful season, and then get drafted in the 1st round.

It's science!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom