Ash or Taggart... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Ash or Taggart...

I KNOW 2+2=4

I don't KNOW which coaches are going to be successful in the future.

What does "traditionally defined" even mean?

Just when you thought the board was in a good place lol

Would you rather win 4 games and beat Miami and Florida or win 6 games keep that record bowl streak alive and not beat either rival?
The bowl streak may matter to FSU but I would rather beat the rivals and just keep in-State recruiting bragging rights.

I don't know. Probably the bowl streak. That thing has survived plenty of bad years, including 0-2 years instate.

I don't know that 4-8 gives you any meaningful bragging rights over an 8-4 Miami team and a 4-8 UF team. Anyone considering FSU or UF would know both are in the initial stages of a rebuild, and who won a game between too sucky teams isn't going to be the deciding factor.

Between FSU and Miami, there are enough qualitative differences between the programs, schools, staffs, resources, locations, etc that again, one game isn't going to be a deciding factor.

Recruits have short memories, and have a lot bigger things on their mind than one games' results. They're going to care a lot more about who is going to put them in the league, playing time, and scheme.

anyone who listened to Ash speak for 3 seconds had a pretty good idea of what he is. A moron. Ash is turning out to be as close to GROB as you can get: doofus D coordinator for bigtime program? check. takes over a 4-6 win type of program and promptly wins 1 game? check. follows that up by, ahem, "improving" to 4 wins the next year, which is only an improvement because year one was so hideous? check. third year goes right back to first year utter hell? check.

no, the people on this board aren't close to being right all of the time, but the last thing our program needed was another defense oriented meathead when we have this huge advantage sitting right in the middle of our campus with the Dome. thank goodness Coyle did the right thing. I have said it before, everyone hated Coyle when he bailed, can you imagine if he had bailed right after he hired Ash?

Last edited:
Taggart is a proven coach who has had high level teams. His problem is that he is changing systems, both sides of the line, wholesale. With the talent already at FSU, he should have implemented the systems incrementally, letting the players buy in over time. He would win games on pure talent.

Regardless, the kids will like the offense once they get a taste of success, which will happen this fall. Next season, they will look much better and by year three they will run the system the way it is intended to be run. Taggart runs a similar offense to Babers and it is fun. Kids love to have fun, just like us old @#$&s.

Just this poster's opinion.

I do think it's clear that he was somewhat wrong about what he was dealing with. That said, we have lost 4 of 5 starters of a line that was questionable to begin with, and that's not something he could have anticipated. We had our intended line for all of one half against VT, and we actually put up respectable yards per play in that half.

There are other things that are contributing, like poor blocking by wide receivers, and issues lining up, and those are things that tell me we were not prepared as well as the staff thought they were.

Right now, I'd say it's about 80% on Jimbo and 25% on Taggart, people really have no idea how bad things had gotten culturally under Jimbo, as well as how poorly they'd maintained/developed some units. But that's going to slide more in Taggart's direction each season.

Not expecting a pity party from you guys of course, but you have to take the 10,000 foot view. Look at the funk that programs like Tennessee, Texas, Nebraska, USC, even UF have been in for going on a decade or more. Through multiple coaches. Resources, location, etc...you don't just snap your finger and turn it around. Hell, Texas has been really good what, about 7 out of the last 40 years?

I've resigned myself to hoping it's just not a 10+ year funk. I don't think there's any way it's less a 3-5 year slip, and if it's only that I'll be thankful.

Last edited:
I'm just waiting for Saban to retire and 'Bama to have their turn at sucking.

We need a strong FSU in the ACC. Doesn't help anyone having them down a bit.

You guys are too nice...FSU education joke teed up and everything on this one, lol. 75/25.

Grading on a sliding scale, so compared to a UNC alum you’re a rocket surgeon. :p

Ash. Easily...I’m on business travel in Jersey. It’s laughable...the whining...

Taggart. Their fans care more and have a much higher bar for their coaches.

I'm just waiting for Saban to retire and 'Bama to have their turn at sucking.

We need a strong FSU in the ACC. Doesn't help anyone having them down a bit.

If they were in the other division, sure.

I want to win the league. Having only Clemson and not Clemson and Florida State as elite programs, even if it only lasts a couple years, would be a nice opportunity for Cuse if we can get ourselves close to that position.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom