Asheville Game Thoughts (Positive and Negative) | Syracusefan.com

Asheville Game Thoughts (Positive and Negative)

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
After the announcement on Sunday I have been doing some research on Asheville and afer reading Marsh's breakdown as well as numerous other articles, intereviews etc I wanted to outline some of my thoughts on this game along with a few concerns I have.

First of all being an SU fan a little piece of me cringes whenever we are a 16 seed, not because I think we are destined to lose or will lose but I fear the non stop nightmare the aftermath of any loss would be, I honestly feel bad for whatever 1 seed that actually does lose if ever to a 16, ESPN and other media outlets would be just a nightmare to watch for years after not to mention message boards of opposing teams and fans.

Anyway onto the game, to me Asheville is a weird weird team. There height issues are well documented by this point but they still are a good rebounding team and have actually out rebounded there opponents this year despite having no one with a pulse over 6'5. What I also find odd is that while you would think Asheville would not shoot a lot of threes based on the fact there not a great 3 pt shooting team they actually take a ton and have shot 650+ threes on the year despite the fact no one is over 40% and they seem to only have two good shooters, Dickey and JP Primm. I was hoping that there offensive game plan would be more like Vermont's in 2010 in that they would try to score in a bunch of different ways versus just simply bombing away. However, after thinking about it I don't see what other game plan they could possibly have at this point, there own beat writer in an interview with teh Daily Orange pretty much conceded they needed to make 15 3's to have a shot. While I think he overestimated the number I would say there going to need at minimum 10 3's. Not sure what other game plan would work for them as they have no inside game and I am not sure fastbreak points will be that plentiful. Will be interesting to see who they put at the foul line to try that mid range jumper.

For Cuse I think we simply need to play our game and take advantage of the fact they like to run. I worry a bit about Melo though from an O standpoint, Rick Jackson or AO would have creamed there pants for this matchup and probably have a double double at half. With Melo I am not so sure, he doesnt really have an offensive game at this point and while he will have a 6 inch height advantage I am pretty sure this isnt the time to start trying to run our O through him, not to mention the fact I am sure hes going to get stripped by some 6'2 guard multiple times when he puts the ball on the floor despite JB's warnings

Only other thing that concerns me is if we are having another horrible shooting night. Again Asheville has pretty much announced there going to play zone so we will be jacking 3's. I like the fact Scoop made a couple late on Fri Night, I think it sets him up well for Thursday, Dion on the other hand is a bit of a concern, I hope he doesnt fall into the trap of bombing away even though he was 6-8 or whatever it was Fri night thats still not his game and he can be much more effective driving to the hole. I would love to see us post up KJ to attack the Rim but I fear he may try his Kobe impersonation. I think Fair should have a huge game on the glass and hitting that little jumper, we need him to step up I know he was sick but was atrocious in the BE Tourney along with Scoop. I also would like to see James take that mid range jumper more Thursday, he should be able to shoot over everyone due to Ashevilles height issues, also he needs to attack the glass there will be plenty of opp for O rebounds and James has shown the willingness to battle inside. Also I would love to see Brandon get a little back on track in this game shooting wise. Dont know what happened but his overall shooting especially from 3 has fallen off a cliff the past few weeks, he missed more then half a dozen wide open looks last week in NYC, he needs to make that in the tourney we need him to make a few threes a game.

Overall I obviously like Cuse to win comfortably but I think this game will be a lot closer then it probably should be. Asheveille is a Senior laden team with tourney experience who wont be afraid or intimidated to play SU. I think its going to be key we capitalize on every opp to build early leads and stretch runs as they are going to be bombing 3's for most of the game. Also our transition D needs to be a lot better Thursday as they are an unbelievable free throw shooting team and we should avoid sending them to the line if possible. I would like to see Coach B extend the zone out early and keep making Asheville shoot from farther out, Also Fair and KJ need to stay home and not collapse on that Ft line pass as there going to be looking to kick it back out to the wings for wide open 3's. Most important we simply need to play like the 2 loss team we are, coming out and laying the hammer early is key, a message needs to be sent that were not playing around and were squashing any upset thoughts before they start.

smackdown. We kill them on the glass and they wont be able to get good looks over our defenders. Last year Indiana State was a much tougher matchup and they shot it phenomenal from 3 point range and they went 7-21.

They breezed through their conference tourney by shooting 12-55 from behind the arc. That shows you how terrible their conference was.

I would be shocked if the walkons dont see time.

Melo's still a little too slow and clumsy to play against a midget speed demon team. I imagine we'll see a lot of lineups without a true center out there.

Their guards are excellent foul shooters and they go to the line a lot. That worries me a little since if that happens, that means potential foul trouble on our part.

Pitino invented the bombs away mentality when he was with Providence, figuring you need to shoot something like 60% inside the 3 point line to score as many points as you would score shooting 35-40% beyond the 3 point line.

The rebounding thing doesn't worry me so much and it's probably relative. A man who is 6'5" tall is a giant among those who are 6'2.

I don't like the fact that they like to run. That means they will be quick down the court, which makes it more difficult for run-outs and fast-breaks.

i do too

LOL, when your a big time fan like most of us you cant help but not think about the game. Plus with the board I like to get my thoughts and feelings out there as most here including Marsh and others are pretty knowledable and will let you know when they feel your starting to veer of the path so to say.

I think this preview http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/syracuse-vs-nc-asheville-prediction-169980 does a good job summarizing the game and echoes a lot of what I think.

I don't like the fact that they like to run. That means they will be quick down the court, which makes it more difficult for run-outs and fast-breaks.

I think thats definitely a concern but if we can generate steals and other turnovers we should have the advantage of numbers. Also there not a very deep team at all with our big guys and quick guard ie Dion we should or might want to try to get them in foul trouble.

Melo's still a little too slow and clumsy to play against a midget speed demon team. I imagine we'll see a lot of lineups without a true center out there.

I do worry that we will basically be playing 5 on 4 in the halfcourt on O, Melo or Rak or even Baye need to hit the glass hard and actually box out for once especially Melo

LOL, when your a big time fan like most of us you cant help but not think about the game. Plus with the board I like to get my thoughts and feelings out there as most here including Marsh and others are pretty knowledable and will let you know when they feel your starting to veer of the path so to say.

I think this preview http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/syracuse-vs-nc-asheville-prediction-169980 does a good job summarizing the game and echoes a lot of what I think.

I have watched this team play 4-5 times this year and honestly unless we play the worst game in the history of the NCAA tournament coupled with them making 15 three pointers this one will be a snoozer.

I worry a bit about Melo though from an O standpoint, Rick Jackson or AO would have creamed there pants for this matchup and probably have a double double at half.
actually I feel like both struggled against smaller opponents, and they would probably have 0 points and 2 offensive fouls at the half

actually I feel like both struggled against smaller opponents, and they would probably have 0 points and 2 offensive fouls at the half

This is the type of game where Kris, James and CJ should have a feast on the inside and offensive rebounding opportunities.

UNCA can score, but their lack of size and depth will be easily exploited. Syracuse should eat them all at every position. UNCA can score, and have a couple shooters. But Syracuse is better at every position, and overall. The Orange should win by 25+

This is the type of game where Kris, James and CJ should have a feast on the inside and offensive rebounding opportunities.

Scoop/Fab pick and roll lobcity all day

Both excellent points. The Scoop/Fab roll-lob has been missing (or tried unsuccesfully) for a few games now though. I'de like to see it make a comeback :)

I also absolutely think C.J. can use this game to break out of his recent funk via 5-6 offensive boards and stickbacks and a couple of those drives from the left elbow he likes. Like to see a double double from C.J.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom