ASU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

ASU

Do you know the possible times of the Friday game? I have a non-refundable flight I'd cancel if need be, and would like to get this figured out ASAP before prices get any higher. Thanks.

930 or 940...the late game.

I don't know much about asu other than the selection process talking points...

That said, just checking their board and some of their fans aren't all that enthused with the match-up... Interesting note about zone here;

Devils v. Orange

"IMO, this is an awful matchup for the Devils. Syracuse’s calling card is their zone defense and they are 11th in adjD nationally. As we know quite well, this team has really struggled against zone defenses this season and they haven’t faced one close to this quality."

930 or 940...the late game.

That would be GREAT for me, but earlier in the thread someone said that it was indeed Friday, but didnt know if it would be at night. So we're definitely the night game(game 2 after the 7:10 game)?

That would be GREAT for me, but earlier in the thread someone said that it was indeed Friday, but didnt know if it would be at night. So we're definitely the night game(game 2 after the 7:10 game)?

Correct!

Do you know the possible times of the Friday game? I have a non-refundable flight I'd cancel if need be, and would like to get this figured out ASAP before prices get any higher. Thanks.

The potential SU-TCU game would be Friday night. They announced it.

E733CC76-A9E7-4A31-AC69-D3E0232478A9.png

The game recap makes it sound like ASU reallly struggled against the zone in the 1st half but "figured it out" in the 2nd half. They had Justice at the top of the key to shoot/distribute.

We certainly seem to have a height advantage. Both their guards are 6-1. Going by most minutes their other guys are 6-0, 6-5, 6-8. They do have two 6-9s and two 6-7s coming off the bench who played 10+ minutes a game. The problem is, we haven't always taken advantage of our height. we don't post up and we can get leaky on defense. Our zone with our size should be impregnable but it sure isn't. And keeping shorter guards in front of you can be a problem.

Small guards vs big guards...Iowa & Indiana redux?

Play a 4-1, spread on shooters and rely on Chukwu & Sidibe to play White & Lake 1 v 1..

It will be the second night game of that pod
....9pm ish in detroit

Small guards vs big guards...Iowa & Indiana redux?

Play a 4-1, spread on shooters and rely on Chukwu & Sidibe to play White & Lake 1 v 1..
I really hope so. This is exactly the type of team that can't beat us with two's.

We have ourselves a "worst" vs "worst" match-up.
Per Kenpom, they are the worst defensive team to get an at large bid, ranked 124 (17th best offense)
Syracuse is the worst offensive team to get an at large bid, ranked 128 (11th best defense)
Hopefully defense prevails as it usually does in March.

I watched 3-4 ASU games in the last month so I feel I have a good handle on them. They like to play fast and are totally guard-oriented. Holder can also slash to the hoop but the others primarily jack up threes. We will have to extend the zone because their interior offense is non-existent.

On defense they play man to man and they're not a good defensive squad. The games I watched they got beat up on the glass on both ends of the floor. We should be able to dominate on the glass. Just don't get caught up playing at their tempo. The key there is don't turn the ball over which allows them to get out and run. Very winnable game. These guys are the weakest at large team in the tourney.

Last thing. Bobby Hurley rides the refs more than any D-1 coach out there. He makes JB look like a boy scout. Gets totally unhinged.

We have ourselves a "worst" vs "worst" match-up.
Per Kenpom, they are the worst defensive team to get an at large bid, ranked 124 (17th best offense)
Syracuse is the worst offensive team to get an at large bid, ranked 128 (11th best defense)
Hopefully defense prevails as it usually does in March.
Defense usually wins in march?

I watched 3-4 ASU games in the last month so I feel I have a good handle on them. They like to play fast and are totally guard-oriented. Holder can also slash to the hoop but the others primarily jack up threes. We will have to extend the zone because their interior offense is non-existent.

On defense they play man to man and they're not a good defensive squad. The games I watched they got beat up on the glass on both ends of the floor. We should be able to dominate on the glass. Just don't get caught up playing at their tempo. The key there is don't turn the ball over which allows them to get out and run. Very winnable game. These guys are the weakest at large team in the tourney.

Last thing. Bobby Hurley rides the refs more than any D-1 coach out there. He makes JB look like a boy scout. Gets totally unhinged.

Definitely need to extend. Usually I always think a team with good guards who can shoot is a bad matchup for us, but it's different against a team that isn't used to seeing an effective zone d. I hope they miss early and often, we build a little bit of a lead with strong showings from our big three, before they eventually "figure out" the zone more in the second half. I actually think we win this game.

One other thing about ASU. Looking back you think how could they have beaten KU and Xavier? Here's how - they shot 14-28 and 13-27 respectively from 3. In the Pac-12 they got nowhere near that level as opponents did a much better job clamping down on the 3.

Thanks for the scouting report, bpo.

Haven't read the whole thread, but give me a team with good shooting guards vs a team with inside presence (Duke) or big guys who pass as well as point guards (UNC).

Basically, let's just not play Duke or UNC.

Haven't read the whole thread, but give me a team with good shooting guards vs a team with inside presence (Duke) or big guys who pass as well as point guards (UNC).

Basically, let's just not play Duke or UNC.
Duke/UNC are the only teams I don't give us much of a shot at beating. Great coaches with talent, shooting, inside play, length and are familiar with us.

Im sure there's any number of teams that could smoke us but those are the only two that I'd have to next to zero hope against.

Similar to how I felt going against UNC in the Final 4 a few years ago.

A line from Rocky pops up in my mind here. Explaining his relationship with Adrian, Rocky says "I got gaps. She got gaps. She fills my gaps and I fill here gaps." In a play-in game, both teams got gaps and each team tries to exploit them to win. Who will do the better job?

LOL..I worry about every matchup...NC Charlotte; Western Kentucky, Penn, Iowa, Navy, Rhode Island, Minnesota, Richmond, Vermont, Marquette, Dayton
Look we can lose this game or any game. But the matchup is about as good as it gets for us. They’re led by a total hothead mouth breather that thinks he’s better than his own guys. I could see them melting down quickly.

Thanks! Do their guards pressure the ball well, either full court or picking up at half? We know that's one of Frank's negatives, so I'm curious to know if that's something we need to worry about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom