Class of 2017 - ATH Isaiah McDuffie (NY) Committed to BC | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 ATH Isaiah McDuffie (NY) Committed to BC

I think we need to look at NYS and NYC as different places. I will include LI in the NYC market. Look at that list again and you will see two of the three are NYC kids. NYC kids barely know NYS exists. They know Syracuse due to hoops and a big chunk of that is our national brand, taking on the ACC, as well as all the time we've spent in MSG. Boeheim is playing St. John's, Nova, and Georgetown for a reason and it isn't just nostalgia. I think Gross had a good idea in playing at either Yankee Stadium or MetLife, but maybe we should not have played such high profile teams with such a big area following. Ignoring that it was a bowl game for a second, compare our Pinstripe experiences with our MetLife experiences. That is not one stadium vs. another, it is the opponent that makes them different.
I agree with CL that Babers seems to take a "Marrone" approach. I agree with Money and others that winning is crucial, our most important recruiting tool in the next year or two. As far as upsetting coaches in recruiting areas, and keep in mind western NY is not exactly considered fertile ground, look at what Harbaugh is doing in NJ. He doesn't seem to care about angering some of the most respected coaches in a heavily contested area. Conjecture here, but I think his spin is that he is recruiting the players, not their HS coaches. That and winning will do just fine. Not all 5 stars love their HS coach enough to shun a better offer. Make yourself the better offer.

I think western NY is more Fertile than most ppl. think... Syracuse without a doubt the more attractive program in the state has in my opinion dropped the ball on quite a few W.N.Y kids, who ended up going to BUFFALO and then onto the PRO'S in n the Last 7 yrs...James Starks( best friends of Paul Harris and Jonny Flynn Still RB for greenbay) Namaan Roosevelt(Buffalo Bills), Marcus Rivers(Bengals), Steve Means(Ravens) Joe Licata signed with Bengals Current RB Jordan Johnson predicted to be a NFL draft pick in 2016 draft..Other players from WNY(only Buffalo area): Doug Worthington(Rams) Ohio state Mike Williams Syracuse(tampa Bay) Akel lynch Penn state Robbie Gronchowski( New England ) Cory Graham (Buffalo Bills) Tyrone Wheatley (Michigan) Jeremy Kelly (Chicago bears) Glen Gronchowski (Buffalo Bills) Brad Zaffer (U-Tep)... i know I forgot a few player, just wanted to say Buffalo kids are second to none around the country and most play with a chip on their shoulder... But I truly hope this staff get the right information because i think they can do a great job. We're NYers and have pride in our State, as a Long TIME FOOTBALL GUY WE NEED SYRACUSE TO COMPETE! But everything that GOLD don't glitter and everything that GLITTER NOT GOLD! If you take some of these players coming up and put them in systems in FL. They would be the same player in FL that they are here...Fact... My son going to MIAMI June 24 have a lot of Miami connections I PROMISE YOU NO ONE IN HIS CLASS WILL OUT SHINE HIM, I HAD IMG ACADEMY, WOODBURY FORREST FROM VIRGINA just a few programs nationally known reach out but I don't need to send him*DYLAN to college at 15 just got a better football situation that too much! By the way in 2018 you will have 5 McDuffie on NY STATE top 200 rusher list all from same bloodline... Teddy(my brother-Temple) Chris(my brother-UB) TJ(Son/Dylan brother Milford prep concussions problem) Isiash(Nephew-2017) Dylan (Son-2018)

REMEMBER THE NAME KENNY EDWARDS CLASS OF 2019

Last edited:
If it makes you feel better, he'll probably be on the bench for 2 of them.

The other 2 will be spent catching his breath against our offense.

I don't like losing D players, no clue what the story is. I'm sure the staff had their reasons. But I don't worry about anyone we've recruited on D recently being able to stop the O that Babers is going to build.
keep this post up and let have this conversation again in 2 years...

Ok. But I survived SU spurning Mike Mamula and watching him make 40 tackles in the backfield at Chestnut Hill in 1994 as SU put up a goose egg.

So if I'm wrong, I'll survive.

WNY AAU said:

He may be great (and I hope he is) - but this offense when it's cooking makes a lot of D's look bad.

I think western NY is more Fertile than most ppl. think... But Syracuse without a doubt the more attractive program in the state DROP the ball on quite a few W.N.Y kids who ended up going to BUFFALO and then onto the PRO'S... buffalo in the Last 10 yrs. had 9 players that i can think of that went pro.s 6 from BUFFALO...James Starks( best friends of Paul Harris and Jonny Flynn Still RB for greenbay) Namaan Roosevelt(Buffalo Bills), Marcus Rivers(Bengals), Steve Means(Ravens) Joe Licata signed with Bengals Current RB Jordan Johnson predicted to be a NFL draft pick in 2016 draft..Other players from WNY(only Buffalo area): Doug Worthington(Rams) Ohio state Mike Williams Syracuse(tampa Bay) Akel lynch Penn state Robbie Gronchowski( New England ) Cory Graham (Buffalo Bills) Tyrone Wheatley (Michigan) Jeremy Kelly (Chicago bears) Glen Gronchowski (Buffalo Bills) Brad Zaffer (U-Tep)... i know I forgot a few player but just wanted to say Buffalo kids are second to none around the country and most play with a chip on the shoulder... But I truly hope this staff get the right information because i think they can do a good job but everything that GOLD don't glitter and everything that GLITTER NOT GOLD! If you take some of these players coming up and put them in systems in FL. They would be the same type of players there that they are here...Fact... My son going to MIAMI June 24 have a lot of Miami connections I PROMISE YOU NO ONE IN HIS CLASS WILL OUT SHINE HIM!!!!!
I think you ran with something I wasn't really saying. I was not even implying there were no good players from WNY, I know different. I was saying that WNY and NYC are not the same recruiting areas, and at this point the new staff as well as most of the recruiting sites believe NYC, NJ, and CT has a greater density of better overall talent. Your son and his cousin may well be transcendent talents, and it seems we decided not to pursue one of them, but as we've discussed before, there are plenty of kids in both WNY and NYC that have turned their back on SU too. One of them is currently our RB coach. Wheatley is a terrible reference, but I don't think he was giving us a look even when his dad coached at SU. Gronk's father went to SU and that didn't stop him from going out west to what he thought was a better option. The one I remember from back in the day was Dorsey Levins. We've had plenty of NYS kids, WNY, CNY, etc. we will have our pick of them again, as we did in the late 80's early 90's when we win as we did then and become the equal or better option to Arizona, Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, etc. For now all we offer over them is PT. No offense to your nephew, but BC is not a better option, but it seems our current staff may not have thought he was what they needed to get there. I hope the staff sees you son's potential, and he sees SU's if they do.

He may be great (and I hope he is) - but this offense when it's cooking makes a lot of D's look bad.

I think he may have also been offended that I said he'd be on the bench for 2 years. That probably came off worse than I meant. But just more aimed at the reality that he's probably an impact player for 2 years. That's the fate of most OLB's, and it's not a bad thing.

So, we're counting Tyrone Wheatley Jr as a WNY kid after living there for a minute and a half? SU didn't drop the ball on him. He went to a bigger better school that he grew up loving, that his dad went to, and oh yeah, coaches at. Gronk? He was polite enough to list us in his Final 5 schools, but there was no way he was coming to SU. While SU could certainly do a better job in WNY, there are some kids who you've listed that wouldn't/didn't give SU the time of day. It's a two way street. It's not all on SU.

So, we're counting Tyrone Wheatley Jr as a WNY kid after living there for a minute and a half? SU didn't drop the ball on him. He went to a bigger better school that he grew up loving, that his dad went to, and oh yeah, coaches at. Gronk? He was polite enough to list us in his Final 5 schools, but there was no way he was coming to SU. While SU could certainly do a better job in WNY, there are some kids who you've listed that wouldn't/didn't give SU the time of day. It's a two way street. It's not all on SU.

Tyrone Wheatly went BIG time Hun. I was under thee impression that was the direction SYRACUSE was going! I know the Wheatly Family PERSONALLY! GREAT FAMILY but if Tyrone wouldve gotten the JOB as head COACH of Buffalo which he interview for BELEIVE when I say Jr. Wouldn't be playing in the MAC... Mind you is the BIGGEST mistake BUFFALO football program EVER MADE! By the way TYRONE WHEATLY SR. was recconized as the number 2 recruiter by 247 in college football. Syracuse has the opportunity in my opinion to be a TOP 3 ACC school which means They should compete for conference Titles and HOPEFULLY national titles one day! But not if Thier left OUT of being called BIG TIME!

One of the McDuffies was an SU commit for a month or two. It may have changed with Dino’s arrival.

Committed July 20, 2015.

Decommitted May 24, 2016.

That's almost a year.

I seem to recall Dino cutting the New York kids because they didn’t have the ability to properly evaluate them. At least he’s been consistent with the “no film” trope.

or Dino didn't think the kid was cut out for the Tampa 2.

Oops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom