Class of 2017 - ATH Isaiah McDuffie (NY) Committed to BC | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 ATH Isaiah McDuffie (NY) Committed to BC

I think Babers may follow a more Marronesque recruitment of NY. Emphasis on the city, not so much on tbe rest of the state.

I think that Dino is taking a national approach to recruiting. Targeting the NE FL OH IL and the Atlantic Coast states. I don't believe that he places a special emphasis on NY over any other area nor do I believe that he should.

I respectfully disagree regarding EW. I think they have a real shot with him.
Its just a gut feeling based on our recent history of legacy prospects. We havent been overly successful getting NY commits that have other P5 options plus none of us know where he's leaning. He has not favored any school. Why do you feel confident?

I think that Dino is taking a national approach to recruiting. Targeting the NE FL OH IL and the Atlantic Coast states. I don't believe that he places a special emphasis on NY over any other area nor do I believe that he should.
I think he is targeting FL and DMV pretty hard.

Its just a gut feeling based on our recent history of legacy prospects. We havent been overly successful getting NY commits that have other P5 options plus none of us know where he's leaning. He has not favored any school. Why do you feel confident?
There has been some talk on this board that he is someone who might break that trend, and he's fairly pro cuse throughout social media etc. I agree, we have not been very successful in this arena. Would have loved to get the legacy that went to OSU last year, and of course, Gronk would have been a good get. Hope Ethan heads this way.

I think we need to look at NYS and NYC as different places. I will include LI in the NYC market. Look at that list again and you will see two of the three are NYC kids. NYC kids barely know NYS exists. They know Syracuse due to hoops and a big chunk of that is our national brand, taking on the ACC, as well as all the time we've spent in MSG. Boeheim is playing St. John's, Nova, and Georgetown for a reason and it isn't just nostalgia. I think Gross had a good idea in playing at either Yankee Stadium or MetLife, but maybe we should not have played such high profile teams with such a big area following. Ignoring that it was a bowl game for a second, compare our Pinstripe experiences with our MetLife experiences. That is not one stadium vs. another, it is the opponent that makes them different.
I agree with CL that Babers seems to take a "Marrone" approach. I agree with Money and others that winning is crucial, our most important recruiting tool in the next year or two. As far as upsetting coaches in recruiting areas, and keep in mind western NY is not exactly considered fertile ground, look at what Harbaugh is doing in NJ. He doesn't seem to care about angering some of the most respected coaches in a heavily contested area. Conjecture here, but I think his spin is that he is recruiting the players, not their HS coaches. That and winning will do just fine. Not all 5 stars love their HS coach enough to shun a better offer. Make yourself the better offer.

I think we need to look at NYS and NYC as different places. I will include LI in the NYC market. Look at that list again and you will see two of the three are NYC kids. NYC kids barely know NYS exists. They know Syracuse due to hoops and a big chunk of that is our national brand, taking on the ACC, as well as all the time we've spent in MSG. Boeheim is playing St. John's, Nova, and Georgetown for a reason and it isn't just nostalgia. I think Gross had a good idea in playing at either Yankee Stadium or MetLife, but maybe we should not have played such high profile teams with such a big area following. Ignoring that it was a bowl game for a second, compare our Pinstripe experiences with our MetLife experiences. That is not one stadium vs. another, it is the opponent that makes them different. I agree with CL that Babers seems to take a "Marrone" approach. I agree with Money and others that winning is crucial, our most important recruiting tool in the next year or two. As far as upsetting coaches in recruiting areas, and keep in mind western NY is not exactly considered fertile ground, look at what Harbaugh is doing in NJ. He doesn't seem to care about angering some of the most respected coaches in a heavily contested area. Conjecture here, but I think his spin is that he is recruiting the players, not their HS coaches. That and winning will do just fine. Not all 5 stars love their HS coach enough to shun a better offer. Make yourself the better offer.

I think we need to stop thinking about states all together. Think best players within 3-5 hours travel distance (by plane too, Tampa > Syracuse)...

Edit: let's go with a 0-5 hour radius - 3-5 would be dumb ;)

Last edited:
We're in very good shape with EW and we want him. NJW can camp for an offer but he's not fast enough for what they're looking for.

Also there's a few kids down in NYC we're looking at and hopefully both are attending our Satellite camp at Erasmus Hall.

It's just a total bummer this kid is gonna play against us 4 times. Ugh

If it makes you feel better, he'll probably be on the bench for 2 of them.

The other 2 will be spent catching his breath against our offense.

I don't like losing D players, no clue what the story is. I'm sure the staff had their reasons. But I don't worry about anyone we've recruited on D recently being able to stop the O that Babers is going to build.

I say the Marrone approach is HCDB thinking. You have to go that way because if you see where the best talent is, it is in the city or around that area, ,LI... Very limited. But we need to get in on them early on.

Not going to speak on my Nephew Decommitting, I personally like some of the Syracuse coaches (the ones I've met) but yes his commitment was with the old group... I know he liked the current group... for those who said something about Other players being the reason, I can tell you him or ANY MCDUFFIE(including my son DYLAN) can care less about any other player being there or coming' these 2 youngman COMPETE PERIOD...I am a little disappointed because Isaiah was the one CALLING all the top 17/18 telling them to Stay home and show the country what Real NY football players look like! Isaiah and Dylan was the only local players who got invited from WNY to both the RIVALS CAMP AND NIKE OPENING REGIONALS with the best players in the region and Isaiah was a top 3 LB at both events...

Not going to speak on my Nephew Decommitting, I personally like some of the Syracuse coaches (the ones I've met) but yes his commitment was with the old group... I know he liked the current group... for those who said something about Other players being the reason, I can tell you him or ANY MCDUFFIE(including my son DYLAN) can care less about any other player being there or coming' these 2 youngman COMPETE PERIOD...I am a little disappointed because Isaiah was the one CALLING all the top 17/18 telling them to Stay home and show the country what Real NY football players look like! Isaiah and Dylan was the only local players who got invited from WNY to both the RIVALS CAMP AND NIKE OPENING REGIONALS with the best players in the region and Isaiah was a top 3 LB at both events...
You already know how I feel

so did the new staff decide to go in another direction and if so what were their reasons?

Last edited:

This hurts my heart...

And now he's at BC. Poetic justice.

Not enthused. Lose a 4.4 gazelle, pick up a 4.5 midget. Lose a home turf assassin, pick up an upper crust walk-on. Don't know what you guys saying you trust the staff are smokin' but I'm not happy.

Not enthused. Lose a 4.4 gazelle, pick up a 4.5 midget. Lose a home turf assassin, pick up an upper crust walk-on. Don't know what you guys saying you trust the staff are smokin' but I'm not happy.
The coaches clearly don't have as much invested in this program as you.

fellas I really like this staff. I think they have a plan and it will work. It doesnt mean I dont disagree with some of the things they do. Has nothing to do with knowing more than the coaches because definitely dont. I do know one side of the story but not the side from the coaches. When I get a chance I will ask them what happened. As of right now I disagree with the decsion to let him leave the state.

Last edited:
blizz said:

I'm saying trust the staff because this is the first thing I've seen that causes me to pause at all. Any new staff deserves that. Especially one that came in late and wrapped up a better than average ACC Syracuse class.

In Babers I trust - offensively - but Ward sure hasn't earned the right. Mcduffie as a D recruit I think to be critical of the decision is fair game.

Now the WR from CBA is a different story. I'll trust the offensive staff on that one.

I'm saying trust the staff because this is the first thing I've seen that causes me to pause at all. Any new staff deserves that. Especially one that came in late and wrapped up a better than average ACC Syracuse class.
I agree. I am not crazy about letting an in state stud like McDuffie go, especially to BC, but Dino and staff do this for a living. Their jobs depend on them winning. I don't think they are making any move arbitrarily.

They must feel pretty confident in their recruiting to let someone like McDuffie go elsewhere. So that may be good news. Keep the faith.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom