Class of 2017 - ATH Isaiah McDuffie (NY) Committed to BC | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 ATH Isaiah McDuffie (NY) Committed to BC

thats correct, plenty of kids don't. a lot of kids prefer an aggressive attacking scheme. and plenty of big time d-coordinators run that style. so yeah.
Yeah, we had 5 star defensive studs lining up to play under Shafer...

Kids want to play for winners. If the Tampa 2 wins us games, kids will want to play here. Btw, the way Babers plays is built for high INT #s for safeties/corners.

The staff generated a lot of buzz when they came aboard and put together a solid class. I think this year's class will will probably be a reflection of what we can show on the field.
If we can show enough positives and look like moving in the right direction the recruits will come.
If HCDB has a long term plan and outlook like I think he does then I think he should be given the benefit of the doubt. Can't fret about short term losses but instead focus on the long term gains.

Yeah, we had 5 star defensive studs lining up to play under Shafer...

Kids want to play for winners. If the Tampa 2 wins us games, kids will want to play here. Btw, the way Babers plays is built for high INT #s for safeties/corners.

not talking about syracuse specifically.

Totally agree. By no means do I want to tick off coaches in the state, but I have never, nor will I ever, accept the premise that the few 5 star type kids in NYS will come here because we play nice with some 3 star kids. The big shot kids will come here only if we win(and that is a big maybe). Dino and staff find a NYS kid who fits their schemes on either side of the ball, great, bring him in. If they don't fit, don't bring him in.

Not sure if its scheme or the fact kids these days are more into going away from home and playing. As a HS Senior, its Sexier to go out of state and play. Its more of an indication that you have "made it" . Sounds crazy but I do think this hometown vs. Out of state program decision holds true in alot of cases. Look how many recruits in Florida leave the state when there are 3 big time programs and UCF and USF there. Hell, I am 44 and on a lesser scale thought playing d2 baseball in Fla was the cooler option over playing football for Hobart or Cortland, I went to Fla. Just a thought.

I don't like that Isaiah is saying the new staff largely ignored him. Not a good look.

iommi said:
I don't like that Isaiah is saying the new staff largely ignored him. Not a good look.

Depends what they said to him the last time they talked. If they said they would honor his commitment but they didn't see a good fit?

This happens so much in football, especially with turnover. I hope the kid tears it up vs everyone but us and goes on to play at the highest level.

Depends what they said to him the last time they talked. If they said they would honor his commitment but they didn't see a good fit?

This happens so much in football, especially with turnover. I hope the kid tears it up vs everyone but us and goes on to play at the highest level.

It's the very limited contact I'm referring to. You've got to make your commit feel wanted, if you're "committed" to him.

It's the very limited contact I'm referring to. You've got to make your commit feel wanted, if you're "committed" to him.
What Cusian is pointing out is that the coaches cant rebut the kids statement and give context as to why he wasn't contacted.

The only way we are ever going to get NY kids like Curtis Samuel etc is by winning. Not by taking some solid NY kid that the staff doesn't think is a good fit. I think this kid is a solid player and was happy to have him but he is a Shafer recruit so not shocked at all. If Dino and crew doesn't think he fits then you move on. I don't like the cold shoulder thing however.
They have to win. If we win with kids from Alaska, I would be a happy man. We have been consistently bad though.

Your post said:
"Im sure this staff saw some things they didnt like and decided to give him the cold shoulder. It's still not good. Whatever they didnt like, they couldnt have gave more effort to make it right?"

Do you claim to have some inside information, or is this pure conjecture? Your post implicates the current staff, when in reality, none of us really know how this all came down. Until I learn otherwise, I'm willing to give Babers the benefit of the doubt.
Not an opinion. Based on information that was told to me. I am not allowed to share.

It's just a total bummer this kid is gonna play against us 4 times. Ugh

iommi said:

Right. I think coaches have three options:

1. Accept a commitment from a kid who was committed to he previous staff. If he's not a fit, you've "led him on"

2. Tell him you're honoring the commitment, but be honest that he may not be a fit.

3. Revoke his offer completely.

I think ripping the bandaid off is pretty cruel - but it's clean. 2 has some downside too. 1 is cruel, the NCAA's transfer rules make it worse.

They have to win. If we win with kids from Alaska, I would be a happy man. We have been consistently bad though.

Yes we have. Three winning records since 2002. Not good. Time to change that

Dino and the staff coached many players that didnt fit their schemes. They developed them in 2 years and had success. A 6'2 205 pound kid that is defensive player of the year with multiple P5 offers. Doesnt make sense. It has to be something other than physical skill and scheme fit.

Yeah, and you have a lot more insight than myself and most here, especially when it comes to local kids. It is an odd thing. Let's hope this kid doesn't burn us for 4 years.

We weren't committed to him, so we didn't make him feel wanted. It's college football and at least he had other offers to fall back on.

I wonder who from NYS is high on the staff's list of recruiting targets.

Ethan Wiederkehr, I'm assuming.
Noah Jordan-Williams?
Probably very little chance to land Romello Martin?

djorange1989 said:
Yeah, and you have a lot more insight than myself and most here, especially when it comes to local kids. It is an odd thing. Let's hope this kid doesn't burn us for 4 years.

The BC defense was otherworldly last season - but couldn't stop The Officer. Wait till they see a Bebers O.

Noah Jordan-Williams?
Noah is definitely not high on the staffs list. He's pretty much off the list at this point unless they see something at team camp that they like. They told him he's not fast enough and haven't recruited him at all.

Noah Jordan-Williams?
I bet they wont get any of them. The staff doesnt want NJW. They offered the WR from long Island. They might go after him but who knows. Their only NYS recruit might be Eric Coley ( Reynolds step son) and he's actually a Michigan kid lol...

I bet they wont get any of them. The staff doesnt want NJW. They offered the WR from long Island. They might go after him but who knows. Their only NYS recruit might be Eric Coley ( Reynolds step son) and he's actually a Michigan kid lol...
I respectfully disagree regarding EW. I think they have a real shot with him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom