Class of 2015 - ATH Kenterius Womack (AL) Signed LOI | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 ATH Kenterius Womack (AL) Signed LOI

Did any of you listen to the Lester interview on this subject? Just curious because he explained why he made the move and it's not official or permanent.

Did any of you listen to the Lester interview on this subject? Just curious because he explained why he made the move and it's not official or permanent.

Sure, but we can probably fast forward two weeks when we hear that Womack is behind the other QB's (because he's taking reps at WR) and that's the reason for the full-time move. He seems like a great kid and I'm not surprised he's willing to do whatever is asked of him.

I'm just a little disappointed that he can't be left at QB to see what might develop there first. Long might have shown some glimpses last year, but nothing that makes me think SU should feel that next year's QB situation is solid.

I know. Ironically though Lemon completed more passes (1) and had more TD's passing (1) than Johnson did at SU.

I'm sure I remember a Johnson touchdown pass. To Jim Turner, if memory serves.

He's going to be moved to wideout. Not hard to figure out. If the staff is good with it, and the kid is good with it, I'm good with it. I think KW's #1 priority is getting on the field.

Moore's visit was set up before practice began. Again, not hard to figure out the plan. Lester is coy in the interview, but he left the door wide open to a switch.

Gotta think they really like Dungey and to be fair to KW, he might be an NFL receiver. Part of the staffs job is to get these kids paid if they have NFL ability.

Jake said:
He's going to be moved to wideout. Not hard to figure out. If the staff is good with it, and the kid is good with it, I'm good with it. I think KW's #1 priority is getting on the field. Moore's visit was set up before practice began. Again, not hard to figure out the plan. Lester is coy in the interview, but he left the door wide open to a switch. Gotta think they really like Dungey and to be fair to KW, he might be an NFL receiver. Part of the staffs job is to get these kids paid if they have NFL ability.

This. It's simple, really. They think Womack is going to be a better WR than QB. And that Dungey will be a better QB than a TE.

I agree, which is why I question moving Womack already, or saying that it's based on size. I'm not sold on AJ being a capable starter in the ACC, which is the reason I want SU to try to develop both Womack and Dungey this year before thinking about a position move. At this point, is Womack in a position to make the travel squad as a WR? If he is, then I could see the point of getting him in position to help this fall. If not, let him get as much time at QB as he can.

For years, we've searched for answers at QB and when we land a couple of guys who might look like other D1 qb's in terms of athleticism, we want to move one in the 1st week of camp.
Fair enough

He's going to be moved to wideout. Not hard to figure out. If the staff is good with it, and the kid is good with it, I'm good with it. I think KW's #1 priority is getting on the field.

Moore's visit was set up before practice began. Again, not hard to figure out the plan. Lester is coy in the interview, but he left the door wide open to a switch.

Gotta think they really like Dungey and to be fair to KW, he might be an NFL receiver. Part of the staffs job is to get these kids paid if they have NFL ability.

Exactly I don't see what the big problem is here.

Womack played WR, before he was switched to QB in high school. He also showed in his film, on defense he isn't afraid to hit people. Smart, speed, ability to take a hit, all things you want in a receiver, if he catches the ball well, you might have an All American in 4 years.

Get your best athletes on the field.

I would have loved to see what Womack could do at QB, but I like the group of young talent we've brought in at QB [Long, Dungey, Culpepper, possibly Moore]. I'd rather see an elite athlete like Womack get on the field in some other capacity than get stuck in a logjam at QB.

Dungey could well lose his RS if unfortunate things happen. He might lose it in any event and maybe should in the event he is already close to even with Wilson by early in the season.
You can tell from Lester's comments that he's trying to contain his enthusiasm for Dungey.

I'm sure I remember a Johnson touchdown pass. To Jim Turner, if memory serves.

I don't remember it but possibly. It's not on his stat sheet.

I agree, which is why I question moving Womack already, or saying that it's based on size. I'm not sold on AJ being a capable starter in the ACC, which is the reason I want SU to try to develop both Womack and Dungey this year before thinking about a position move. At this point, is Womack in a position to make the travel squad as a WR? If he is, then I could see the point of getting him in position to help this fall. If not, let him get as much time at QB as he can.

For years, we've searched for answers at QB and when we land a couple of guys who might look like other D1 qb's in terms of athleticism, we want to move one in the 1st week of camp.
Good points. But they (staff) must be seeing something. Lester cautions that it's "Day 5", but it sounds like the coaches think KW is more athlete than QB (whereas Dungey might be more QB than athlete). Either way, it's a call the staff has to make ... why not get it over with. Although you raise a good point that KW should be given as many QB snaps as possible if he's not going to make the travel team.

Last edited:

These are the exact same points I am hung up on. I just don't get it? I especially agree with the bolded part.

- I don't buy for a second that the staff has any idea who would be better at what after just a couple practices.
- If they do see some flaws, then fix them. Isn't that what coaches are for? It's not like he isn't oozing with potential or anything.
- The article said they need a 3rd team WR. Is that enough to move him? 3rd string isn't getting you on the field, or at least enough to make a difference.
- Again from the article it sounded like Dungey struggled as well, which can be expected they are in their 1st week of camp. So, again why move an uber talented athlete until you know what you have?
- Remember Hunt vs Allen? Remember why Allen initially won the job? It's because the staff didn't get to see what Hunt could do best (use his legs) because QB's weren't allowed to be hit, and they didn't know what they had. I think most would agree Womack's strength, is his legs. Being who we are we need an equalizer like that at QB, who provides playmaking ability on the ground. I guarantee Womack hasn't even had a chance to scrimmage yet to show what he could do. How is that a fair shot?
- Overall I think the move to QB to WR would be an easier transition then WR to QB. Womack most likely isn't going to get meaningful snaps at WR this year so why not coach him up for a year, give him time to develop, and really see what you have at the position before you go ahead and make a PERMANENT (as stated in article) move?

And finally the point FullRebar made is 110% true. We have searched high and low for a QB since McNabb. We had 1 very good year of QB play with Nassib, and maybe another couple above average seasons from Nassib. Other then that it's been total dog poop. We finally have what looks like a dynamic athletic playmaker at QB, and you give him 4 days before you start moving him around? Makes no sense. If this move is made, which let's be honest, the rest is going to be a big charade, the decision is set. Well Dungey, or whoever lines up under Center to start the 2016 season better be 1 hell of a player.

These are the exact same points I am hung up on. I just don't get it? I especially agree with the bolded part.

- I don't buy for a second that the staff has any idea who would be better at what after just a couple practices.
- If they do see some flaws, then fix them. Isn't that what coaches are for? It's not like he isn't oozing with potential or anything.
- The article said they need a 3rd team WR. Is that enough to move him? 3rd string isn't getting you on the field, or at least enough to make a difference.
- Again from the article it sounded like Dungey struggled as well, which can be expected they are in their 1st week of camp. So, again why move an uber talented athlete until you know what you have?
- Remember Hunt vs Allen? Remember why Allen initially won the job? It's because the staff didn't get to see what Hunt could do best (use his legs) because QB's weren't allowed to be hit, and they didn't know what they had. I think most would agree Womack's strength, is his legs. Being who we are we need an equalizer like that at QB, who provides playmaking ability on the ground. I guarantee Womack hasn't even had a chance to scrimmage yet to show what he could do. How is that a fair shot?
- Overall I think the move to QB to WR would be an easier transition then WR to QB. Womack most likely isn't going to get meaningful snaps at WR this year so why not coach him up for a year, give him time to develop, and really see what you have at the position before you go ahead and make a PERMANENT (as stated in article) move?

And finally the point FullRebar made is 110% true. We have searched high and low for a QB since McNabb. We had 1 very good year of QB play with Nassib, and maybe another couple above average seasons from Nassib. Other then that it's been total dog poop. We finally have what looks like a dynamic athletic playmaker at QB, and you give him 4 days before you start moving him around? Makes no sense. If this move is made, which let's be honest, the rest is going to be a big charade, the decision is set. Well Dungey, or whoever lines up under Center to start the 2016 season better be 1 hell of a player.

Agree 100%.

Agree 100%.[/QUO

I think they knew what they had in Hunt, so they picked the other guy.

Found it! Don't want to continue my hijack for the sake of hijacking, but it's a game that everyone will want to take a moment to remember (need to scroll to the SU blurb): http://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/02/s...dwards-scores-4-as-georgia-stuns-florida.html
I was at that game! The KJ toss is a blurred memory but I remember Jason Poles taking it the distance in what was a close game at that point, and WVU was in the red zone looking to score. That was the play of the game!

Interesting take. I'm just wondering why, if the staff can't possibly see anything after 5 or so days of practice, they have KW working out at WR. Maybe it's just because they're short at the 3'd level at the position and needed a body. On the other hand, Lester stated that KW knew he'd get a shot at WR, so that position was obviously an option going in (during his recruitment and/or in conversations with staff this year). So they're obviously evaluating him as a receiver. And they must be well along in that evaluation, since Lester said he'd know where KW would "fit" by the end of Ft. Drum. That's this week. So it does seem as though the staff has some inclinations at this point.

Interesting take. I'm just wondering why, if the staff can't possibly see anything after 5 or so days of practice, they have KW working out at WR. Lester stated that KW knew he'd get a shot at WR. so another position was obviously an option going in (during his recruitment and/or in conversations with staff this year). And he clearly said he'd know where KW would "fit" by the end of Ft. Drum. That's this week. So it does seem as though the staff has some inclinations at this point.

oh yea, I have no doubt the move has already been made. I'm just questioning the decision based on the reasons I gave above. I am sure they have their reasons, but it's totally different playing football in shorts and helmet vs full pads. My thing is Womack wasn't given a fair shot to make it at QB, easily the most important position on the team.

I was at that game! The KJ toss is a blurred memory but I remember Jason Poles taking it the distance in what was a close game at that point, and WVU was in the red zone looking to score. That was the play of the game!

I remember the Poles play like it's happening in front of me right now. That was awesome.

The Turner catch and score is a bit foggier (wouldn't have guessed it was during that game), but I did remember that happening in the west end zone, which makes sense.

oh yea, I have no doubt the move has already been made. I'm just questioning the decision based on the reasons I gave above. I am sure they have their reasons, but it's totally different playing football in shorts and helmet vs full pads. My thing is Womack wasn't given a fair shot to make it at QB, easily the most important position on the team.
Agree. If he can catch the ball I could definitely see him being not a good, but a great receiver. But there is time enough to find that out as it's easier to learn the ropes of being a WR than a QB. Thinking (from afar) that this is premature and anything premature is not good.

Agree. If he can catch the ball I could definitely see him being not a good, but a great receiver. But there is time enough to find that out as it's easier to learn the ropes of being a WR than a QB. Thinking (from afar) that this is premature and anything premature is not good.
My only thought about why the move was made so early is that they might think he can get on the field this year at WR, so they want to have him as ready as possible to contribute as a pass catcher...so basically, get him going and have him ready ASAP.

I don't think most of us were particularly surprised by the move, just how quickly it was made.

My only thought about why the move was made so early is that they might think he can get on the field this year at WR, so they want to have him as ready as possible to contribute as a pass catcher...so basically, get him going and have him ready ASAP.

I don't think most of us were particularly surprised by the move, just how quickly it was made.

See I think the assumption that he's going to be on the field as a true Freshman is false. In the article today it said how he couldn't even get off the LOS once he was put up against a defender. imo he just isn't physically ready enough to play either position this year. I was fully expecting this year to be a redshirt year, with a big emphasis on S&C, and QB development. I guess i'll be surprised if I see him playing meaningful snaps at WR this season.