"athletic" "unathletic" - please define as these terms pertain to basketball | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

"athletic" "unathletic" - please define as these terms pertain to basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like this post because it uses "best" players and not "athletic" players :)
Cause I don’t really care about the lack of athleticism if we win.
Our best players are basketball players who aren’t Uber athletic but they are solid.

I think the idea of the topic of this post is great. I was wondering myself how people gauge athleticism because there seem to be varying degrees of it, even amongst the posters on this board. I wonder how many people mistake energy for athleticism. Or how many people say it because Dicky V or Jay Bilas say they are. There is a fine line between athleticism and high bball skill level. As another poster pointed out are race car drivers athletes? How about golfers? You have to be an athlete to go to the olympics, so are curlers more athletic than our team? What about skeet shooters? To me an athlete, someone who is athletic, is someone highly trained physically for his/her chosen sport. The fact our guys can go the minutes they do shows they are highly trained-in great shape-for their chosen sport. Remember last year when Buddy couldn't play a lick of ball, only played because of who his old man was, then by the end of the year he was a highly athletic skilled player who we were not only lucky to have but grateful to have him back this year? Fast forward to this year and the cycle starts again. The team isn't meshing quite like they should so therefore they are not athletes. In two months time will the story still be the same? If we continue to improve and run through what is perceived to be a weakened ACC do our guys magically transform into athletes?

I think the idea of the topic of this post is great. I was wondering myself how people gauge athleticism because there seem to be varying degrees of it, even amongst the posters on this board. I wonder how many people mistake energy for athleticism. Or how many people say it because Dicky V or Jay Bilas say they are. There is a fine line between athleticism and high bball skill level. As another poster pointed out are race car drivers athletes? How about golfers? You have to be an athlete to go to the olympics, so are curlers more athletic than our team? What about skeet shooters? To me an athlete, someone who is athletic, is someone highly trained physically for his/her chosen sport. The fact our guys can go the minutes they do shows they are highly trained-in great shape-for their chosen sport. Remember last year when Buddy couldn't play a lick of ball, only played because of who his old man was, then by the end of the year he was a highly athletic skilled player who we were not only lucky to have but grateful to have him back this year? Fast forward to this year and the cycle starts again. The team isn't meshing quite like they should so therefore they are not athletes. In two months time will the story still be the same? If we continue to improve and run through what is perceived to be a weakened ACC do our guys magically transform into athletes?

Not me.

Although I would play Ajak more for his insane energy! Watching him run makes me want to run more, and I need to run more.

Status
Not open for further replies.