"athletic" "unathletic" - please define as these terms pertain to basketball | Syracusefan.com

"athletic" "unathletic" - please define as these terms pertain to basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
A) Being able to beat your man one on one with an iso move or down the court on the break.
B) Being able to D up on a guy and not get blown by the majority of the time.

Speed, lateral quickness, strength, jumping, hand eye coordination, then we get into things like explosiveness, timing, and smoothness.

I remember comparing Cooney to my college friend who was strong and fairly fast and could jump - but couldn’t jump off a diving board and catch a ball while in the air.

Every single player we have is athletic. Let’s get that perfectly clear.

How we use the words is all relative to a “baseline”. And that baseline is established through the overall pool of players in the chosen population. In our case, high level D1 bball.

edit- and of course, there is some subjectivity to this.

Last edited:
Every single player we have is athletic. Let’s get that perfectly clear.

How we use the words is all relative to a “baseline”. And that baseline is established through the overall pool of players in the chosen population. In our case, high level D1 bball.

Yeah, it's not like Joe, Buddy, Jimmy, or Cole wouldn't break the ankles of pretty much every poster here.

But - compared to other high P5-level hoopsters, none of these guys has the same physical gifts of speed, hops, quickness, etc. that many of our opponents do.

Our guys are average, at best. (and that's probably being generous)
Most of our opponents are above average (and some are elite) in the athleticism department.

Now - our guys have a lot of basketball skills.
Which helps offset that, to a degree.

Athletic:

DirtyClearcutGalapagospenguin-max-1mb.gif

Unathletic:

200w.gif

If you can’t tell the difference I just don’t know how to explain it.Pretty obvious to anyone that watches basketball.
lol sure thing champ. why don't you humor us and define it then

lol sure thing champ. why don't you humor us and define it then
Ok Chief you talked me into it.
Watch a replay of last nights Syracuse game and that will give you the answer to which team is athletic and which team is not very athletic.
I don’t think it’s very hard to see one team was stronger and used that strength and jumping ability
to just completely dominate the less athletic team.

Is this really supposed to be a good faith question?

How about this, in 2016 we got 30+ minutes a game from Gbinije, Richardson, Cooney and Roberson. Our current guys who are getting 30+ minutes/game are Buddy, Jimmy, Girard and Swider. Are any of the current four quicker or stronger than the crew from five years ago?

Ok Chief you talked me into it.
Watch a replay of last nights Syracuse game and that will give you the answer to which team is athletic and which team is not very athletic.
I don’t think it’s very hard to see one team was stronger and used that strength and jumping ability
to just completely dominate the less athletic team.

Is being down 4 points until 5:49 was left, and then being down only 6 (2 possessions) until there was under 4:30 left in the game, an example of just completely dominate the less athletic team ?? :rolleyes:

Yeah, Nova pulled away from that point on, and led by double digits for the last 4-ish minutes -
but I'd hardly call being in a nailbiter for the prior ~35 minutes domination.

How about this, in 2016 we got 30+ minutes a game from Gbinije, Richardson, Cooney and Roberson. Our current guys who are getting 30+ minutes/game are Buddy, Jimmy, Girard and Swider. Are any of the current four quicker or stronger than the crew from five years ago?
there's no "faith" at all - I see the two terms bandied about in virtually every post on here I read, often in distinctly different context - I find them to be default/nebulous terms applied in an echo chamber sort of way, was hoping for some clearer definition

We will always have Roberson's left handed cram at Duke.

Is being down 4 points until 5:49 was left, and then being down only 6 (2 possessions) until there was under 4:30 left in the game, an example of just completely dominate the less athletic team ?? :rolleyes:

Yeah, Nova pulled away from that point on, and led by double digits for the last 4-ish minutes -
but I'd hardly call being in a nailbiter for the prior ~35 minutes dominatiQuestion was about athletic vs unathletic.
Question was about athletic vs unathletic.
We were completely dominated on the boards by the much more athletic Wildcats.Game was in doubt for awhile but the athleticism of one team was apparent from jump street.

An athletic person can have sex in 12+ different positions, an unathletic person can do four positions. Oh in basketball...I was thinking hanging spinning baskets.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.