"athletic" "unathletic" - please define as these terms pertain to basketball | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

"athletic" "unathletic" - please define as these terms pertain to basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.
nope, I told you they weren’t unathletic and you ignored it.

every one sees your trolling here yet the mods allow it...so whatever...im sorry you are bothered that some white players are unathletic as compared to other D1 bball players
Ah, so Wisconsin is ATHLETIC but our team isn't?!

Los Angeles Lol GIF by LA Clippers

Or the unathletic Washington Generals.
hmm, are you trying to say Generals are to the Globetrotters as BYU/St.Marys are to 2021-22 college basketball?

At this point I'm just hoping to get as many people as possible on record saying they'd take Roberson over Jimmy Boeheim at the 4

hmm, are you trying to say Generals are to the Globetrotters as BYU/St.Marys are to 2021-22 college basketball?
I’m saying I think the Generals aren’t as athletic as their opponent. Haven’t watched BYU or St. Mary’s this year so I don’t know how athletic they are.I did watch Steve Young play for BYU football years ago and thought he was athletic as hell.

This thread is getting weird, but wanted to try and answer it in a real way

If you go back to the historical definition of athleticism, one could say the decathlon epitomizes the perfect athlete. Speed, strength, jumping, throwing, etc.

For basketball, obviously everyone is an athlete.

Some players rely more on skill. When people say athletic in basketball, I think it is implied they are really saying "raw" athleticism. So the attributes mentioned above.

And a good basketball player will have a mix of both skill and raw athleticism. If you think of the best of the best - Lebron, Jordan, etc - they have tons of both parts. Guys like Giannis start more raw than define the skills. Plenty of guys who start as good shooters need to bust their butts to remain relevant in the NBA, and keep up with the good athletes

This thread is getting weird, but wanted to try and answer it in a real way

If you go back to the historical definition of athleticism, one could say the decathlon epitomizes the perfect athlete. Speed, strength, jumping, throwing, etc.

For basketball, obviously everyone is an athlete.

Some players rely more on skill. When people say athletic in basketball, I think it is implied they are really saying "raw" athleticism. So the attributes mentioned above.

And a good basketball player will have a mix of both skill and raw athleticism. If you think of the best of the best - Lebron, Jordan, etc - they have tons of both parts. Guys like Giannis start more raw than define the skills. Plenty of guys who start as good shooters need to bust their butts to remain relevant in the NBA, and keep up with the good athletes
What makes this even more weird is that Bruce Jenner might be our greatest athlete ever if we use the decathlon as a measuring stick.

What makes this even more weird is that Bruce Jenner might be our greatest athlete ever if we use the decathlon as a measuring stick.

Nah, there have been plenty of guys over the years who have far surpassed his/her accomplishments.

Americans Dan O'Brien, and more recently Ashton Eaton have surpassed Jenner's results.
Current WR holder is Kevin Mayer of France.

Nah, there have been plenty of guys over the years who have far surpassed his/her accomplishments.

Americans Dan O'Brien, and more recently Ashton Eaton have surpassed Jenner's results.
Current WR holder is Kevin Mayer of France.

Yeah of course records will be broken, I was just pointing out the fact a woman might have been our greatest male athlete at one time.

Very funny and relevant text from a friend today. We talk a lot of NBA in a group chat. He has tickets to Memphis Grizzlies' games and the next one they are retiring Zach Randolph's jersey. I said he was a very underrated player and his reply,

"Name a more unathletic person to easily average 20-10!"

To which he got a reply from a separate friend, "Alex Groza in 1951."

Maybe I should force them to join this thread.

Let's keep this going!

Why did JB bench Roberson for Taurean Thompson on a team that played defense about as good as this one?

At this point I'm just hoping to get as many people as possible on record saying they'd take Roberson over Jimmy Boeheim at the 4
If we are actually getting a choice on who should be our 4 this year - I request that it be a 21-year-old Derrick Coleman. Can't hurt to ask.

If we win games and are top 25 team I really don’t care about athleticism.
Our regular season used to lead to us fans expecting sweet 16s.
Now it’s just get in on the bubble and hope to win a couple of games before losing.

I don’t think the HC is getting the players to be competitive to contend for a NC.
I laugh at the minutes per game Triche and Waiters played per game in 2012.

Laugh at it.
Our best players recently aren’t close to the minutes players they having been playing recently compared to the past.

If we win games and are top 25 team I really don’t care about athleticism.
Our regular season used to lead to us fans expecting sweet 16s.
Now it’s just get in on the bubble and hope to win a couple of games before losing.

I don’t think the HC is getting the players to be competitive to contend for a NC.
I laugh at the minutes per game Triche and Waiters played per game in 2012.

Laugh at it.
Our best players recently aren’t close to the minutes players having been playing recently.
I like this post because it uses "best" players and not "athletic" players :)

Status
Not open for further replies.