Attn: Tomcat and other Keto Diet followers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Attn: Tomcat and other Keto Diet followers

I'll have bacon and 1-2 eggs (boiled/fried) to start the day- no juice, toast, or fruit, too many sugars, Usually with a cup of coffee w/ keto-friendly sweetener and cream.
I might snack on some peanuts or almonds, and my late lunch is usually loads of veggies with a burger (no bun), chicken, side salad w/ ranch dressing, cheese bites, etc. Again, no fruit for me.
Usually I end up feeling full and can go without eating any more for the rest of the day. That's been the biggest shock, not being hungry- I've always loved food.

There's a philosophy in keto called OMD eating which stands for "one-meal a day". I sometimes go with this and of course intermittent fasting, where i choose to eat within a certain window- 4-6 hrs maybe, and then don't eat again. I usually have my last meal by about 5 pm. The idea is that your body gets more time to digest the food and clear your system, it doesn't need to work as much.
I'll just say that keto has done the job for me, but of course everybody's different. There is no one-size-fits-all in this.
I love eggs, eat tons of them. Not surprised about the feeling full thing, there’s a reason some calories are called empty calories, they don’t make you feel full, usually simple carbs. Protein provides a much higher satiety feeling.

honestly though I love fruit, that would be my issue. Probably my favorite food group.

Very curious- what’s an example day of eating?
I alternate between two breakfasts - an omelette, or blueberries in cream.

For lunch I usually do some kind of salad with meat and cheese or a sandwich using some keto wraps I've found that are actually pretty great.

Dinner gets a little more creative. Buffalo wings and broccoli (I do this a lot, I've gotten really good at baking wings), taco salad with guac, Philly wraps, burgers no bun, I make a pretty decent meat lasagna with zucchini slices as the noodle layer, mushroom cream risotto with riced cauliflower, pizza (I repurpose the wraps with a layer of mozzarella in between to make the crust, it works alright), slow cooker Italian beef, pesto fish, I have a killer fresh green bean recipe that goes well with everything, grilled sausage, zucchini noodles with meat sauce... truthfully, the food on keto is good because trading fat for flavor instead of eating everything over sugared makes it all really tasty. It's a good trade. I get pissed off now when I see things labeled as low fat and look at the nutrition label and see they jammed a crap load of sugar in.

And then as mentioned, I close out everyday with a little bit of Rebel ice cream with salted peanuts.

It's really not bad. You can feel like you're eating well. It doesn't feel like other diets where you feel like it's just salad after salad. I will say, you do need to be able to cook or learn how to cook - there aren't many convenience food products for keto, although they are more common now. I've gotten really good at making all my own sauces. You can eat out - nice restaurants that serve steak and broccoli, Buffalo Wild Wings, Five Guys (lots of burger places can work once you figure out how to order), Chipotle, Blaze Pizza does a really nice keto crust, BBQ joints (just don't get sauce, but go with a pulled pork salad with Bleu cheese crumbles and you're golden) all work really well.

I love eggs, eat tons of them. Not surprised about the feeling full thing, there’s a reason some calories are called empty calories, they don’t make you feel full, usually simple carbs. Protein provides a much higher satiety feeling.

honestly though I love fruit, that would be my issue. Probably my favorite food group.
Yeah, the limits on fruit are crappy. Berries in very small quantities aren't too risky, but a lot of fruits on their own push you over the carb limits.

For lunch I usually do some kind of salad with meat and cheese or a sandwich using some keto wraps I've found that are actually pretty great.

Dinner gets a little more creative. Buffalo wings and broccoli (I do this a lot, I've gotten really good at baking wings), taco salad with guac, Philly wraps, burgers no bun, I make a pretty decent meat lasagna with zucchini slices as the noodle layer, mushroom cream risotto with riced cauliflower, pizza (I repurpose the wraps with a layer of mozzarella in between to make the crust, it works alright), slow cooker Italian beef, pesto fish, I have a killer fresh green bean recipe that goes well with everything, grilled sausage, zucchini noodles with meat sauce... truthfully, the food on keto is good because trading fat for flavor instead of eating everything over sugared makes it all really tasty. It's a good trade. I get pissed off now when I see things labeled as low fat and look at the nutrition label and see they jammed a crap load of sugar in.

And then as mentioned, I close out everyday with a little bit of Rebel ice cream with salted peanuts.

It's really not bad. You can feel like you're eating well. It doesn't feel like other diets where you feel like it's just salad after salad. I will say, you do need to be able to cook or learn how to cook - there aren't many convenience food products for keto, although they are more common now. I've gotten really good at making all my own sauces. You can eat out - nice restaurants that serve steak and broccoli, Buffalo Wild Wings, Five Guys (lots of burger places can work once you figure out how to order), Chipotle, Blaze Pizza does a really nice keto crust, BBQ joints (just don't get sauce, but go with a pulled pork salad with Bleu cheese crumbles and you're golden) all work really well.
Starving now.

Love the cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, and keto-friendly wraps. Never thought i could substitute some of my favorite foods without missing a beat. But the fact that I can eat cheese is what does it for me. Have never been able to eat fat on a diet- that’s been the game-changer.

Love the cauliflower rice, zucchini noodles, and keto-friendly wraps. Never thought i could substitute some of my favorite foods without missing a beat. But the fact that I can eat cheese is what does it for me. Have never been able to eat fat on a diet- that’s been the game-changer.
Oh yeah, without cheese, keto would be next to impossible.

It was easier for me when I found out Panera will turn most sandwiches into a salad.

I used to believe in calories in calories out but It’s more complicated than that. Something something insulin I’m not smart enough to figure out the rest.

It was easier for me when I found out Panera will turn most sandwiches into a salad.

I used to believe in calories in calories out but It’s more complicated than that. Something something insulin I’m not smart enough to figure out the rest.
Something, something insulin and something, something gut bacteria (from what I've read).

I feel like the average American doesn't realize that fruit juice is much closer to a dessert than a health food in terms of nutrition benefits.
I realize it.

Don't care when I'm not cycled on keto.

Keto rocks
The wife and I have been on it for two years.
I’m down 70 lbs and her I’m not saying because I don’t want to die.
If anyone is looking for suggestions or recipes please feel feee to message us she makes some amazing stuff!
Bacon is your friend.

For me it was learning the metrics as when I started Keto, I was eating way to much Protein aka meats. I ended up eating lots of spinach salads with bacon and blu cheese.

Keto rocks
If anyone is looking for suggestions or recipes please feel feee to message us she makes some amazing stuff!
Bacon is your friend.
You can tell people I lost 100lbs lol, I’m ok with that!

Keto rocks
Bacon is your friend.
Awesome. Would love recipes. Not because I plan to do keto (love fruit and oatmeal too much), but because always down to eat and although I don’t really cook anything crazy, always can try new things

CICO has never worked for me either (beyond a quick 10ish lbs here and there that always come back). Here are the big three variables that I seem to keep stumbling across that seem to support what I have found with my own body over 20 years.

Issue #1: Published calorie counts for food represent available calories which typically don't align well with absorbed/utilized calories, particularly for whole foods, even fruits! Which means those nuts may not be as high in calories as we thought!

Issue #2: Homeostasis is real. Peoples metabolic rates generally aren't stable, just as we all know eating a calorie deficit can drive down our metabolic rate, most don't acknowledge the opposite of that. There is some evidence that change in calories (up or down) can have an even bigger impact than the amount of calories.

Issue #3: Different types of foods can alter the composition (lean vs fat) of our bodies if not changing the absolute weight. Some foods drive fat storage hormones and some drive muscle building/fat burning hormones

Awesome. Would love recipes. Not because I plan to do keto (love fruit and oatmeal too much), but because always down to eat and although I don’t really cook anything crazy, always can try new things
I’ll have pacusewife get some of the good stuff together and message you some :)

CICO has never worked for me either (beyond a quick 10ish lbs here and there that always come back). Here are the big three variables that I seem to keep stumbling across that seem to support what I have found with my own body over 20 years.

Issue #1: Published calorie counts for food represent available calories which typically don't align well with absorbed/utilized calories, particularly for whole foods, even fruits! Which means those nuts may not be as high in calories as we thought!

Issue #2: Homeostasis is real. Peoples metabolic rates generally aren't stable, just as we all know eating a calorie deficit can drive down our metabolic rate, most don't acknowledge the opposite of that. There is some evidence that change in calories (up or down) can have an even bigger impact than the amount of calories.

Issue #3: Different types of foods can alter the composition (lean vs fat) of our bodies if not changing the absolute weight. Some foods drive fat storage hormones and some drive muscle building/fat burning hormones
Totally agree with all this and I'll say again that keto is not for everyone. I have family members who saw no results at all, and even my doctor was a little wary because of the high fat component of the keto diet.
But I don't see it necessarily as "counting calories", more like counting carbs, which is alot less complicated IMO.
On keto, I stay away from breads, grains, sugars, anything that contributes to a high carb intake. Its worked well for me, and its something I can see myself doing for the rest of my life- a real "lifestyle change".
To each his own.

Last edited:
Bacon is an ideal keto food because it has 0 grams of carbs, 51 grams of fat and 13 grams of protein. Very close to what you want.

An egg has about 0 grams of carbs, 5 grams of fat and 6 grams of protein. Not as good but not bad.

I don't follow the scripts as closely as I should (you are right, it is hard to ingest that much fat) but do a good job of limiting myself to 25 grams of carbs or less a day.

That first week of Keto there must have been some heavy Ginger Ale withdrawals

1588213493676.png

That first week of Keto there must have been some heavy Ginger Ale withdrawals

View attachment 180478
Diet Canada Dry is actually halfway decent, as diet sodas go. Some people are fine on keto with diet soda. I personally don't care for it, but I know some people that handle keto pretty well so long as they don't run out of Coke Zero.

Whatever works, works. But, I’ve never understood the keto thing personally. 20 grams of carbs in a day? That’s crazy low. If for nothing else than mental well being, keto diets are probably the hardest ones to adhere to. Again if it works, perfect. At the end of the day it is all about eating below a caloric maintenance level, regardless of macronutrient specifics (if we are talking simple weight loss, for the average Joe).

I am currently doing the complete opposite, attempting to put on some pounds. Everything I read talks about caloric maintenance. If you're a male and this tall and weigh this much, eat "X" calories to maintain, "Y" to gain, and "Z" to lose. Obviously it states to eat healthy calorie foods (which generally speaking, I do) because you want to turn it into muscle building, not fat. Based on what it said, it appears accurate. I'm gaining at the rate it says I should, based on the calories I'm taking in.

If I ever had to lose weight, I'm not sure I could survive Keto. I love pasta and sandwiches/bread too much! But it's good that it seems to work for people!

Last edited:
I’m guessing tomcat won’t be going anywhere near the Pizze fritte stand this weekend. Moved to orange lot due to the demand. Probably closest any of us will get to the fair this year.

Keto is doable but everyone has to be on the same page which with young kids who love sweets in an extended Italian family is just impossible for me. I lasted 2 months.