Attn: Tomcat and other Keto Diet followers | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Attn: Tomcat and other Keto Diet followers

I’m guessing tomcat won’t be going anywhere near the Pizze fritte stand this weekend. Moved to orange lot due to the demand. Probably closest any of us will get to the fair this year.
Your guess is correct. I never was a pizza fritte guy to begin with. It is just too sweet for me. I used to love those sugary cereals when I was a kid but when I got to 12 or so, it got too sugary and I moved on.

IOne of the things I miss most is fresh bread. But I am more of a savory than a sweet guy. A sausage stromboli over a pizza fritte anytime for me. These days I do by the way sometimes order a stromboli and eat around the dough (but treat myself to a little of the browner, most crunchy parts).

I alternate between two breakfasts - an omelette, or blueberries in cream.

For lunch I usually do some kind of salad with meat and cheese or a sandwich using some keto wraps I've found that are actually pretty great.

Dinner gets a little more creative. Buffalo wings and broccoli (I do this a lot, I've gotten really good at baking wings), taco salad with guac, Philly wraps, burgers no bun, I make a pretty decent meat lasagna with zucchini slices as the noodle layer, mushroom cream risotto with riced cauliflower, pizza (I repurpose the wraps with a layer of mozzarella in between to make the crust, it works alright), slow cooker Italian beef, pesto fish, I have a killer fresh green bean recipe that goes well with everything, grilled sausage, zucchini noodles with meat sauce... truthfully, the food on keto is good because trading fat for flavor instead of eating everything over sugared makes it all really tasty. It's a good trade. I get pissed off now when I see things labeled as low fat and look at the nutrition label and see they jammed a crap load of sugar in.

And then as mentioned, I close out everyday with a little bit of Rebel ice cream with salted peanuts.

It's really not bad. You can feel like you're eating well. It doesn't feel like other diets where you feel like it's just salad after salad. I will say, you do need to be able to cook or learn how to cook - there aren't many convenience food products for keto, although they are more common now. I've gotten really good at making all my own sauces. You can eat out - nice restaurants that serve steak and broccoli, Buffalo Wild Wings, Five Guys (lots of burger places can work once you figure out how to order), Chipotle, Blaze Pizza does a really nice keto crust, BBQ joints (just don't get sauce, but go with a pulled pork salad with Bleu cheese crumbles and you're golden) all work really well.
Sounds just like us. I found some 4g carb wraps that are reall good and satisfy my bread craving . Also good for burgers. Right now I’m doing what they call dirty keto as I’m not being that strict. But, I stay away from sugar, anything white etc. i do get a pasta craving now and again, rice. I exercise daily to offset this, so basically I’m maintaining my weight right now. I feel much better than I did a year ago, that’s a bonus

I found that if I can stop eating carbs, say for a couple days, you stay full longer and you don’t crave them.

After a week of no carbs I had a piece of chicken with barbecue sauce on it and...well the addictive aspect of sugar is real.

I found that if I can stop eating carbs, say for a couple days, you stay full longer and you don’t crave them.

After a week of no carbs I had a piece of chicken with barbecue sauce on it and...well the addictive aspect of sugar is real.
I do hot sauce with chicken

Your guess is correct. I never was a pizza fritte guy to begin with. It is just too sweet for me. I used to love those sugary cereals when I was a kid but when I got to 12 or so, it got too sugary and I moved on.

IOne of the things I miss most is fresh bread. But I am more of a savory than a sweet guy. A sausage stromboli over a pizza fritte anytime for me. These days I do by the way sometimes order a stromboli and eat around the dough (but treat myself to a little of the browner, most crunchy parts).
How someone could live within a half-hour drive of Columbus Bakery and do Keto is beyond me!

Sounds just like us. I found some 4g carb wraps that are reall good and satisfy my bread craving . Also good for burgers. Right now I’m doing what they call dirty keto as I’m not being that strict. But, I stay away from sugar, anything white etc. i do get a pasta craving now and again, rice. I exercise daily to offset this, so basically I’m maintaining my weight right now. I feel much better than I did a year ago, that’s a bonus
Even though I'm not on keto anymore, I've stuck with the Konjac rice and noodles. They have so few calories and a ton of fiber. My favorite part of pasta night is the sauce anyway. No way can they completely pass for rice or pasta, but the benefits outweigh the loss in my mind.They are marketed as Skinny Noodles or Miracle Noodles or Shirataki noodles. I get mine delivered from Amazon but my local grocery carries them (at least they did Pre-COVID).

Even though I'm not on keto anymore, I've stuck with the Konjac rice and noodles. They have so few calories and a ton of fiber. My favorite part of pasta night is the sauce anyway. No way can they completely pass for rice or pasta, but the benefits outweigh the loss in my mind.They are marketed as Skinny Noodles or Miracle Noodles or Shirataki noodles. I get mine delivered from Amazon but my local grocery carries them (at least they did Pre-COVID).
I’ve had those. Also the ones made from tofu. :vomit:

I just can’t do it

All understood... yes I understand the point of keto is the ketosis. From a thermodynamic perspective, a calorie is a calorie. But yes, different foods can make one feel "better" or "fuller".
A calorie is a calorie, but the chemical process the body uses to break down the source is different. Of course that's why you get hungry so much more quickly after eating processed carbs versus fat, protien, or a fibrous unprocessed carb. I'm sure you know all of this. Just pointing it out for those that are not nutrition knowedgeable.

I’ve had those. Also the ones made from tofu. :vomit:

I just can’t do it
Same. The miracle noodles don't work for me.

I've acquired a taste for riced cauliflower. Zoodles are passable.

Same. The miracle noodles don't work for me.

I've acquired a taste for riced cauliflower. Zoodles are passable.
Riced cauliflower is great, the wive also makes a good cauliflower "potato" salad.

Riced cauliflower is great, the wive also makes a good cauliflower "potato" salad.
Haven’t tried the zoodles or cauliflower rice yet. Based on this feedback, I will soon.

Haven’t tried the zoodles or cauliflower rice yet. Based on this feedback, I will soon.

Riced cauliflower is awesome.
really yummy.

The Mrs also made pizza w a cauliflower crust which was shockingly not bad.
I had zero to negative expectations, but it ended up being quite good.

Definitely look for the Green Giant frozen riced cauliflower. The different brands all have a little different taste. The Green Giant one cooks up best with other food to me.

I can't believe this diet is healthy. I never thought Atkins was either especially long term. I have a brother in law who used Atkins off and on for thirty years and he just had a triple bypass. I still say lay off the sugar, fat and cut back on carbs. Walk three miles a day and take off thirty pounds as I did in less than three months. I understand that this may not work for everyone, but it did for me.

My husband and I started this back in September. He had immediate success and I did not. I do most of the meal prep and I was super strict with keeping carbs under 20, I simply couldn't handle eating the required amount of fat. It was just gross to me and I missed my variety of vegetables. After three months and a bout of keto rash (it is real!), I went back to what has always worked for me. Meanwhile, my husband is still on it and has gone from 285 to 250. He's 6'7" so he is the skinniest I've ever seen him. I still keep carbs pretty low and I was never much of a sweets person. He used to be a huge beer fan. Now it's mostly bourbon and an occasional White Claw (glad to hear he's not the only one!)
I love carbs too much to give them up as much as Keto would like you to.

I'm not sure your age but if you are above 45 or so you might look at intermittent fasting several days a week. Younger folks can do a 16 hrs no eat/8 hrs eat cycle daily. Older folks I've seen suggested to do a 18-20 hrs no eat / 4-6 hrs eat cycle. The difference is you only do it 3-4 days a week vs 6-7 days a week.

I've lost over 20lbs since XMas but I have kept my muscle mass (been weight training) and more importantly I've been eating way more carbs than a strict Keto regime. I also pretty much order anything off a menu when I'm in an eating window.

Keto is faster and I like it in theory but I love carbs and more food freedom.

Just a thought for you to consider... lots of info out on YouTube. Intermittent Fasting might be a compromise for you. You can make it more Keto friendly for faster weight loss.

Last edited:
Reading this thread, I’m not sure if I have a whole new respect for some of the posters here, or if I’m scared I’ve wandered into some kind of Bizarro World. I do know that if I suddenly see a thread on Man Buns and Suit Shorts, I’m outta here!

Last edited:
Reading this thread, I’m not sure if I have a whole new respect for some of the posters here, or if I’m scared I’ve wandered into some kind of Bizarro World world. I do know that if I suddenly see a thread on Man Buns and Suit Shorts, I’m outta here!
These are all rational ways to feel.

I love carbs too much to give them up as much as Keto would like you to.

I'm not sure your age but if you are above 45 or so you might look at intermittent fasting several days a week. Younger folks can do a 16 hrs no eat/8 hrs eat cycle daily. Older folks I've seen suggested to do a 18-20 hrs no eat / 4-6 hrs eat cycle. The difference is you only do it 3-4 days a week vs 6-7 days a week.

I've lost over 20lbs since XMas but I have kept my muscle mass (been weight training) and more importantly I've been eating way more carbs than a strict Keto regime. I also pretty much order anything off a menu when I'm in an eating window.

Keto is faster and I like it in theory but I love carbs and more food freedom.

Just a thought for you to consider... lots of info out on YouTube. Intermittent Fasting might be a compromise for you. You can make it more Keto friendly for faster weight loss.
I am with you 100%. I do the intermittent fasting and am very happy with it (16hrs/7 days a week). My favorite meal of the day is dinner, partly because I love to cook and prefer savory over sweet, but mainly because it is our family social time (one of the few things that has improved over this COVID period.) I have no problem being completely happy with tea and water all morning then having a light, late lunch. I was a rower in school so in my bizarro world, doing a pleasant 10,000 erg meters while watching the morning news is blissful. I keep busy outside, do a little weight-lifting, and the pounds have been slowly slipping off. I don't have much to lose but as I crested 50, some pounds started showing up in places I never noticed before! Now if our alcohol consumption hadn't crept up with the advent stay-at-home orders, I'd be at my wedding weight goal already. It's not the quick loss of keto, but it fits the bill for me. I'm okay with limiting carbs but the freedom and flexibility of eating how I like in a smaller window is more sustainable for me. Maybe I'll work in a few days of the 18-20 hrs fasting. Thanks. BTW, my husband did a 14.5 lb brisket on the Egg, low and slow for 25hrs. It was tremendous! It works for both keto and non-keto - I just add a bunch more vegetables on the side for the rest of us.

I am with you 100%. I do the intermittent fasting and am very happy with it (16hrs/7 days a week). My favorite meal of the day is dinner, partly because I love to cook and prefer savory over sweet, but mainly because it is our family social time (one of the few things that has improved over this COVID period.) I have no problem being completely happy with tea and water all morning then having a light, late lunch. I was a rower in school so in my bizarro world, doing a pleasant 10,000 erg meters while watching the morning news is blissful. I keep busy outside, do a little weight-lifting, and the pounds have been slowly slipping off. I don't have much to lose but as I crested 50, some pounds started showing up in places I never noticed before! Now if our alcohol consumption hadn't crept up with the advent stay-at-home orders, I'd be at my wedding weight goal already. It's not the quick loss of keto, but it fits the bill for me. I'm okay with limiting carbs but the freedom and flexibility of eating how I like in a smaller window is more sustainable for me. Maybe I'll work in a few days of the 18-20 hrs fasting. Thanks. BTW, my husband did a 14.5 lb brisket on the Egg, low and slow for 25hrs. It was tremendous! It works for both keto and non-keto - I just add a bunch more vegetables on the side for the rest of us.
I started this thread because I was bored with the lack of football news. I thought I'd tweak Tomcat a little and as of right now (Sunday afternoon 2:35 PM) it has generated 72 replies. I wish I was selling swampland someplace.

I follow intermittant fasting. I try and fast 16 hours and eat 8 hours. I'm down about 15 lbs since I started last summer. I watched a Ted Talk by a scientist with the National Institute of Health speak about how the liver functions in food digestion. I suggest that people try and find his TED Talk to hear what he has to say. Our society eats all day. Our bodies were not designed to eat all day. I sometimes don't eat my first meal of the day until one or two PM. I also try and stay away from prepared foods. There is so much sugar added to our foods. For instance, I bought some individual containers of apple sauce labeled "Original" and found them sicky sweet. They contained 9 grams of added sugar. Yuk!

Canmbell's Tomato Soup contains 12 G of sugar per serving. Yeah, and they say there are two and a half serving in a can. So there is actually 15 G of sugar in a half can serving. That's like a tomato milk shake.

It is an interesting observation that the incidence of obesity has grown since the early 80's when the Government first started allowing high fructuce corn syrup in our food. Incidently, mercury is used in the production of high fructose syrup. Our Government sells out to the highest bidding lobbyiests. Out country is addicted to corn. In our gasoline, in our food.

Look at any group photo of the 40's and compare it to a group photo of today. People used to be naturally thin.

Now to get back to football. Who is the mystery new recruit? Go Cuse