Autry on Carey, Patterson and Cuffe | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Autry on Carey, Patterson and Cuffe

I don’t have to imagine. I have eyes and a brain.

Playing our guards 40 mins a game isn’t best for our team.

I’m sure because JB thinks otherwise you think I’m wrong but college kids do get tired too
i honestly think that JB has a lot of influence over what Red is doing

too many parallels in approach to be coincidental

Guess no Chance Westry appears? I'm surprised in the NIL era that we're worried about redshirting Patterson. How many guys stay at the same school 5 years in a row nowadays?

FIFY

Now that these guys are basically pro athletes I would think it’s high time we get rid of all the secrecy.Howard Cosell time- tell it like it is.

Except you now Brown playing center because McLeod and Hima and Carey can't play. You have Taylor playing power forward because Williams is gone. You have Copeland playing small forward because Taylor is playing power forward.

And some amount of time every game, we have Bell playing power forward while Copeland plays small forward. Westry was supposed to do some of this.

Cuffe needs to play to give Mintz and Starling ready because Copeland and Westry and Taylor are either injured or needed elsewhere.

Three injuries and a "kicked off the team" all in the same position group hurts both the guys playing extra minutes and the guys playing out of position to try to pick up the slack.

5: McLeod, Hima
4-5: Brown, Carey
4: Williams
3-4: Taylor
3: Bell
2-3: Westry, Copeland
2: Cuffe
1-2: Mintz, Starling

That lineup looks scary with injuries. Can't really blame Red for Starling and Mintz becoming iron men.
Well, if Cuffe plays 10-12 minutes a game, JJ and Judah don't have to go 40. That way, maybe Judah has some juice left when he plays hero ball in the last 2 minutes of every game.

I think our only chance is to shoot near 100% and be real handsy on defense, tweaking, goosing, swiping, etc. Make them put on cups at halftime.

Red can’t condone tweaking. Even if Badger could provide some muscle in the paint.

Except you now Brown playing center because McLeod and Hima and Carey can't play. You have Taylor playing power forward because Williams is gone. You have Copeland playing small forward because Taylor is playing power forward.

And some amount of time every game, we have Bell playing power forward while Copeland plays small forward. Westry was supposed to do some of this.
It's crazy the extent of how many guys are playing out of position due to injuries and lack of talent at some positions. It's really bizarro world. Not that Red has a lot of options but sheesh, no wonder we struggle so much against good teams.

We play a completely different defense and average about 4 more possessions a game.
similarities I have observed:

1. almost exact same (ineffective) offense - relying on 1 on 1 iso plays with poor ball movement and a lack of basic cohesion that almost all other p5 teams seems to easily have
2. almost absolutely nothing on offense from centers
3. similar ideas with roster constuction - bring in centers that offer nothing on offense - stick with forwards that do not fit the system and cannot provide the neccesary contributions that their positions demand
4. using combo guards on offense instead of an actual PG - trying to play without a true PG
5. playing a forward out of position at center
6. totally imbalanced roster
7. shortening rotation as the season goes on - benching players like cuffe and hima, meanwhile the starting guards and brown cannot play 40 minutes - gassed teams that fold down the stretch was a hallmark of late era JB
8. nonsensical sub patterns
9. complete indifference to rebounding in strategy and roster construction
10. telling players to not even go to the free throw line for offensive boards
11. only pressing when down 20+
12. slow down offense when leading late in a game that ruins offensive efficiency and makes the game closer than it otherwise would be
13. relatively small amount of assists
14. extreme loyalty to inadequate players

thats all I can think of in a few minutes off the top of my head

yeah there have been some changes...but mostly cosmetic, imo

I also feel this way bc I watched a JB interview this season and h basically said he interacts with the team heavily...its obvious to me

yeah better players will help...but I really wish there had been a clean break when I see so many issues from recent seasons seem here to stay

“Me and Kyle, we talked yesterday,” Autry said. “I do plan to get Kyle out there. That’s always the plan but probably now, it’s more. We need it. We’re down bodies.”

Uhhh so if it was “always the plan” why didn’t he play

2+2=8
“The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry.”

I thought it was just an inarticulate way of saying he planned for Cuffe to play, but, plans are not etched in stone, and he either forgot or the actual game sitch didn’t compel him to put him in. And now, without Benny, the priority/urgency is greater. So, maybe this time he’ll be less likely to ‘forget.’

We play a completely different defense and average about 4 more possessions a game.
I agree! The pressure defense designed to force turnovers instead of trying to force long jumpers is radically different than JB's.

The defense is fundamentally different.

However, the offense looks really similar to the JB years, but the players probably have a lot to do with that. When we have a good offensive PF next year in Freeman, and another guard who can shoot in Moore, things might look really different.

A lineup of Brown, Freeman, Bell, Moore and Starling would attack teams very differently than our current starting lineup of Brown, Taylor, Bell, Starling and Mintz. Especially if Brown can demonstrate he's at least a threat to hit a three if you ignore him.

The fact we'll probably have a couple transfers in next year's rotation as well should make the offense really different than this year's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom